Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

X-29A overhaul

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

X-29A overhaul

Postby Intel-Qube » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:01 pm

Edit: Click here to go straight to the download links
http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8485&p=90305#p90305

Well, after getting a nice new computer, I've been completely reworking my original X-29A which was, let's face it, a P.O.S. There are now improvements across the board!
-A new, more realistic (but not entirely) fdm is on the way (need to iron out some errors).
-Landing gear has been redone and is now much more aesthetically more pleasing.
-New exhaust will now dilate based on throttle as it should.
-The Cockpit panel has been entirely rebuilt, is far more detailed, and will likely have interactive switches in the final release.
-The model is more "anatomically correct," if you will.
Here's some screens:
To do list:
-Rear landing gear needs to be better positioned.
-External animations need to be refined
-Finish cockpit model
-Clickable panel and switches
-Cockpit animations (joystick, throttle, switches, etc) need to be implemented.
-The FDM, which is yasim, is giving me that "solution failed to converge after 10000 iterations," I have some ideas on how to fix it though, hope they work.
-Completion of this craft hinges on the success of the fdm, if anyone knows how to make even a semi realistic jsbsim fdm (not using the aeromatic web page) that would be greatly appreciated.
Glad to be back making aircraft for this community! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Intel-Qube on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fav. Jet: [Self-Designed] X-29
Fav. Plane: de Havilland DHC6
Fav. Airports: KEGE, KDEN, KFCS, KSFO, XBEL
"My mind is like a sponge, it absorbs knowledge." "That's my line." "Yeah, well I absorbed it." -Greg Sanders to Gil Grissom
Intel-Qube

Callsign: Intel-Q
Version: GIT

Re: X-29A overhaul

Postby jonsberndt » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:11 am

Jon S. Berndt
Development Coordinator
JSBSim Project
http://www.JSBSim.org
http://www.facebook.com/jsbsim
jonsberndt

Postby Intel-Qube » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Thank you, but I already knew that. Acquisition of data is not the problem, it's making the data into a fdm that works.
"My mind is like a sponge, it absorbs knowledge." "That's my line." "Yeah, well I absorbed it." -Greg Sanders to Gil Grissom
Intel-Qube

Postby Blender3D » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:55 pm

There is a little mistake in your model: The six switches right under the gear-handle should be shifted down a bit. About half the diameter of such a switch.

--Blender3D
Fly one of the biggest rotary wing aircraft the world has seen so far! --> Get the newest version now! (http://gitorious.org/mil-mi-6/mi6dev/archive-tarball/master or "git clone git://gitorious.org/mil-mi-6/mi6dev.git")
Blender3D

Postby Intel-Qube » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:28 pm

Ok, I've just about finished penciling in the instruments, took longer than expected, but it turned out fine I guess. It's not 1:1 with the real cockpit, but it's close enough.
Intel-Qube

Postby isix » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:31 pm

So nice, Intel!!! Go ahead!!
===========================================================================
PRESTES Hangar - http://presteshangar.wikidot.com - http://presteshangar.blogspot.com
PORTO ALEGRE - BRAZIL
MP Callsign: PR-PRE - "In Thrust We Trust...."
isix

Postby biffbutkus1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:27 am

Nice work!!

I really would like to help with this by supplying the FDM, but I really have my hands full with other projects. Perhaps in another month or so there may be some time....

Anyhow, good luck with this!
Level D Flight Sim Tech in Japan
biffbutkus1

Postby Intel-Qube » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:13 pm

biffbutkus1 wrote:Nice work!!

I really would like to help with this by supplying the FDM, but I really have my hands full with other projects. Perhaps in another month or so there may be some time....

Anyhow, good luck with this!

Well, I have a yasim fdm, if you look at it via blender, it's nothing like the X-29. It's based off of Maverick Alex's eurofighter fdm, with a few values "tweaked" here and there. It's probably the best we're gonna get at this point. YASim was being too much of a pain to replicate any of the structural characteristics of the X-29, so I made it replicate flight characteristics; e.g. max aoa, speed, roll rate, etc. To be specific, when I tried to set yasim to have a negative wing sweep, it gave me that "solution failed to converge after ten thousand iterations." So, I thought, instead of a negative sweep how 'bout hyper-positive one (>180º), that didn't work, nor did playing with the incidence or dihedral. If YASim wouldn't do that, then what about just a sweep of zero, the next best thing. Sure it would just look like and airplane with large canards at this point, but any thing to make it work, well it didn't. Nothing did. After spending hours playing with yasim, I never got away from that convergence error. :cry: All lessons learned, there's no way in hell YASim will ever make anything even barely resembling the x-29 work, not unless the core Algorithm is completely upgraded to improve model diversity. Don't know much about JSBsim either, and the aeromatic is too generic for something as bizarre as the X-29. You can't try to make a decent fdm, but you'll most likely end up in the same boat.
Intel-Qube

Postby biffbutkus1 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:24 am

If I were to make an FDM, it would be in JSBSim and based on several NASA flight test reports that detail some of the flight characteristics.
biffbutkus1

Postby Intel-Qube » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:26 pm

biffbutkus1 wrote:If I were to make an FDM, it would be in JSBSim and based on several NASA flight test reports that detail some of the flight characteristics.

Well then go for it. Since it's JSBsim, I'll have to rework a lot of the animations and instruments to work with it though, but at least it'll be better than the current one. Also, I found this website (you may already be aware of it) that is particularly useful for finding information of military jet engines. It has an extensive list of engines, their manufacturer, thrust (plus augmented thrust if available), tsfc (with and without afterburner), what aircraft they were equipped to, etc. On some engines, values may not be displayed because the engine might not have ever reach production or is classified.
http://www.jet-engine.net/miltfspec.html
Just use your browser's search function to find "X-29" and you'll pretty have all the info you'll need (I think) for the engine. Good Luck!
Intel-Qube

Postby biffbutkus1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:00 am

@ Intel-Qube

If there were more hours in the day...Like I said, I would like to do it but I'm working on on the JSBSim SFunction project currently and there is much to do with it.

So the X29A FDM is definitely something that I would LIKE to do (using the SFunction,) but right now the time just isn't there, but we'll see :)

BTW, thanks for the engine link!
biffbutkus1

Postby Intel-Qube » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:08 pm

The clickable panel is now starting to be a pain and is not cooperating. So far, the only thing that will function when clicked is the Landing gear lever. Had hoped to have at least that as well as the air brake and parking brake working, but guess not. Unfortunately, it seems the final release will feature only one clickable function. Sorry guys
Intel-Qube

Postby nickyivyca » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:20 pm

If you gave me a list of all the components, and all the props they should be binded to, I could try interactifying the cockpit. Which type of clickable spot are you using? Panel hotspot (square thing) or a pick animation?
Personal Fleet: 787-8, CRJ-200, 737-300, MD-81, DHC-3A, Beechcraft Starship
New hangar!
Curent projects: New 787, New CRJ-200, DC-9, New 777-200ER FDM
nickyivyca

Callsign: Nick, ---206
Version: 2

Postby Intel-Qube » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:44 pm

I'm using pick. I'm trying to bind a switch to the airbrake and one to the parking brake. Maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong, here's the xml:
Code: Select all
<animation>
 <type>pick</type>
  <object-name>parkbrake</object-name>
  <action>
   <button>1</button>
   <repeatable>true</repeatable>
   <binding>
    <command>property-toggle</command>
    <property>/controls/gear/brake-parking</property>
    <value>0</value>
    <value>1</value>
   </binding>
  </action>
</animation>

<animation>
 <type>pick</type>
  <object-name>airbrake</object-name>
  <action>
   <button>2</button>
   <repeatable>true</repeatable>
   <interval-sec>0.2</interval-sec>
   <binding>
    <command>property-adjust</command>
    <property>/controls/flight/speedbrake</property>
    <step>1</step>
    <min>0</min>
    <max>1</max>
   </binding>
  </action>
</animation>
Intel-Qube

Postby nickyivyca » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:47 pm

First things first, make sure you select the object name as what you named the lever. I doubt that you named the brake lever "parkbrake."

As for individual things, I'll start with the parkbrake one. For a property toggle type animation, you're going to want to use button 0 (left click). Button 1 is the center mouse button, usually used for reversed functions. You also don't need the value tags after listing the toggled property. You don't need to have this repeatable, either.

For the airbrake, you probably should use button 0 and use a property toggle instead of adjust if you only have 0 and 1 to adjust to. You probably don't need a repeatable setting, either. I've never use the interval setting type thing, as well. You're probably using it as a sort of transition time thing for the lever, I guess. I'd test without it, and then try it with it if it works without it.

Tell me if using this works (make sure you edit the names to what you're trying to pick):

Code: Select all
    <animation>
    <type>pick</type>
      <object-name>parkbrake</object-name>
      <action>
       <button>0</button>
       <!--repeatable>true</repeatable-->
       <binding>
        <command>property-toggle</command>
        <property>/controls/gear/brake-parking</property>
        <!--value>0</value>
        <value>1</value-->