Board index FlightGear Support

Anything new related to FreeTrack/TrackIR?

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Anything new related to FreeTrack/TrackIR?

Postby Nitro » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:30 pm

After less than two years of flying online with other sims (usually IL2 Sturmovik) I found it unreplacable to control cockpit view using head tracking software. Actually, I don't know how to fly using mouse or hatswitch. :) And from the moment when I started FG for a first time, I am continuously catching myself to try to rotate head to look around, always without effect :D

I found old theme related to this topic, but can't find is there any update relate to this. Or some work in progress?

Maybe, it can be usefull to setup Freetrack/TrackIR software to control mouse, but 6DOF support for views is must have in the future ;)

S!
Nitro

Re: Anything new related to FreeTrack/TrackIR?

Postby Nitro » Sat May 02, 2009 4:51 am

I have installed latest cvs binary files.. And just want to ask, are new files patched with this http://www.gidenstam.org/FlightGear/HeadTracking/ ?
Nitro

Postby MAKG » Sat May 02, 2009 3:13 pm

OK, I'm very curious about this.

The head-tracking I'm familiar with is from the (rather old now) ImmersaDesk. That's an 8 foot wide monitor, and you're expected to practically have your face in it.

How does this work with a small monitor? Turning your head will take the monitor out of your field of view rather quickly.

FYI, we had several issues with that ID. Most important was that frame lag made people motion-sick. But we usually did it with shuttered/synced stereo goggles as well (and a very close POV, to exaggerate depth), which would make it substantially worse.

I certainly agree that if it works properly, this is by far the best interface for something like this. Even better with depth (but it would be a big improvement even without that). :D
MAKG

Postby Nitro » Sat May 02, 2009 3:40 pm

I am using it intensively for about two years with only one 19 inches wide monitor. Usually for dogfights in Il2 Sturmovik where you have to make very large and very fast movements from side to side, and watching on your six all time. So it should be problem to use with any civilian sim.

Freetrack and TrackIR software give you ability to setup movement sensitivity and input curves, so after couple minutes any newcomer should became natural with it. Also many people think its unnatural for eye muscles, head and neck, but after long time I realized that, it is very good exercise for both eyes and neck because it is better than holding them in same position for hours.

Commercial TrackIR give you 120fps refresh, I am using Freetrack setup with camera that make about 30fps, but Freetrack do interpolation and produce more frames per second.

This is my old video, where I was trying to send inputs through network and you can see that head tracking setup is very cheap and very useful with under 20 euros webcam :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMBfXLsX ... annel_page
Nitro

Postby Nitro » Sat May 02, 2009 4:10 pm

I tried to send freetrack data to mouse view, but problem is when you move head more than it is allowed in any side to rotate, view won't come back at start/center point.
Nitro

Postby redneck » Sat May 02, 2009 6:07 pm

I would love to do something like that sometime, but I don't have the equipment. For now, I'll just deal with the limitations of dynamic cockpit and looking by hand, though not so much so as to not off-center my forward view.
Nitro wrote:it is very good exercise for both eyes and neck because it is better than holding them in same position for hours.

I thought everyone instinctively turned their head to keep their eyes roughly parallel with the horizon. I know I do, but it's like I have no control over it. It's not so noticeable in civilian a/c, but once I get into a military jet and start pulling some serious aerobatic maneuvers.... Well, if say someone locked my head into a harness of some sort so that I couldn't turn my head, I don't think I'd be able to fly. Just try recording your face while doing aerobatic maneuvers. You might be surprised. Why would I suggest you do something that seems so ridiculous? Because I got bored enough to do it myself before.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby kisio137 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:20 am

I think i found a solution (only for Freetrack)

I've added a PPjoy (virtual joystick) with 6 axes and fixed head movement to this joystick. FG doesn't have any problems with detecting PPjoy and my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Proplem is I don't have a clue what properties fix to axes. I was trying to fix translations to offsets (eg. /sim/current-view/x-offset-m) but usually it place me out of cockpit :P . I also don't know how to change joystick bracket <-1,1> to rotation bracket <0,360>. Without it, I've got all 2 degrees freedom of movement :P

I hope someone will reply.

Thanks in advance
kisio137

Postby sambar » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:13 pm

More simplify , I was trying FreeTrack (mouse mode) without PPJOY due to Vista x64 (denied unsignd driver) , but I had motion-sick...

# I am think Head-motion sends to fgfs.exe with UDP by using GlovePIE for Vista x64 & Windows7 users.
Regarts.
#Sorry,bad English!
JA26FB(new callsign) , sambar(old callsign)
sambar

Callsign: JA26FB
Version: Git_Next

FaceTrackNoIR

Postby V4Friend » Tue May 25, 2010 11:29 am

Hello FlightGear fans!

It took some time, but now the first release of ' my' head-tracker is ready for testing: FaceTrackNoIR. It is a program that runs on Windows XP, Vista and 7 and uses the faceAPI from SeeingMachines. The major advantage over other head-trackers is, that you only need a simple web-cam and NO hats with LED's (or anything like that). All it needs is your face and some proper lighting...

The first release is ready for downloading at:http://sourceforge.net/projects/facetracknoir/files/

This first release is made compatible with ArmA 2 (using Free-track protocol) and FlightGear (using Melchior Franz' script and protocol). After installation (which requires .NET Framework 3.5 SP1) the FlightGear 'ClientFiles' must be installed in the FlightGear folders.

Of course, I am very curious to receive your feedback: it's the only way to improve software!
V4Friend

Callsign: V4Friend

Re: FaceTrackNoIR

Postby Farmboy » Tue May 25, 2010 2:11 pm

V4Friend wrote:Hello FlightGear fans!

It is a program that runs on Windows XP, Vista and 7 and uses the faceAPI from SeeingMachines.

Dang. I'd love to try it out, been waiting for it....but alas, I use a Mac.
-pb
Horsepower is just an illusion. Torque is the true answer.
Farmboy

Location: NorthEast New York State, and the rest of New England....

Postby jimutt » Tue May 25, 2010 3:14 pm

I was going to try your software but I only get a lot of error messages about missing Dlls. I've found and downloaded three of the missing files but now I can't find anywhere where I can download "ippm-5.3.dll".
Can you please send it to me in any way?
Or maybe upload all the dll's in a zip-file or something. :)
jimutt

Callsign: jimutt

Postby Gijs » Tue May 25, 2010 3:16 pm

I guess we need to install the FaceAPI first? Do we really need to register for that? I've got a special emailaccount for those occassion, but it does limit the userbase of this...

Sounds cool though!

EDIT; Okay, installed the api, set FG up etc. But now I get an error when running Start under Tracker Source in FaceTrackNoIR.exe.
Code: Select all
Failed to create EngineBase: Failed to create / use camera

Should I setup my cam somewhere? FreeTrackTest gives all but ....
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Gijs » Tue May 25, 2010 4:11 pm

jimutt wrote:I can't find anywhere where I can download "ippm-5.3.dll".

It comes with the installation package: http://www.seeingmachines.com/product/f ... ort-faq/#2
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Farmboy » Tue May 25, 2010 4:39 pm

Boy, I just spent 10 minutes on the faceapi site, and I've got to say if this works as shown, it would be the number 1 enhancement for FlightGear! It _almost_ makes me want to put FG on a pc to test it out, and coming from me, that's huge! :)

-pb
Horsepower is just an illusion. Torque is the true answer.
Farmboy

Location: NorthEast New York State, and the rest of New England....

Postby V4Friend » Tue May 25, 2010 7:05 pm

Hello guys (and girls?),

It should not be necessary to install the faceAPI first, but if you do (it's free), it enables you to test if it supports your web cam. O yeah, I do remember something about registering it (it was a while ago).
I will check if the missing DLL is on my system: perhaps I forgot to include it in the distribution?

If FaceTrackNoIR starts, the message in the 'bubble' above the settings should show the name of your web cam. If it says "No video-capturing device was found in your system: check if it's connected!", well, then obviously your web cam wasn't found. The faceAPI needs a 'WDM-type capturing device', whatever that may mean...

Has anyone successfully tried it yet?

P.S.: I have tried it on a virtual machine with XP, that didn't have the faceAPI installed first. On that machine it worked! It should work for anyone, but well, it's Windows isn't it?

P.S. again: seems the DLL-problem is caused by the faceAPI (see: http://www.seeingmachines.com/product/faceapi/technical-support-faq/#2.

P.S. 3: The source of the code is open, so maybe someone can make a Mac version? The FlightGear protocol uses UDP, so maybe we can make it work over LAN too?! Then you could run it on a 'spare' Windows-machine...
V4Friend

Callsign: V4Friend

Next

Return to Support