Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

WED problems  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

WED problems

Postby Ernest57777 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi, i have problem with World Editor. Namely i want to install custom scenery of OMDB from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28218 I make everything but the planes spawns on desert and parking isn’t in right place. I realized that i need to edit apt.dat. I have copied apt.dat.gz, unpack and import into WED all airports. Then i have import OMDB.dat that i downloaded. Now i wanted to export apt.dat but i get a lots of errors and cant skip that. Is there anything what i’m making wrong?
Thanks for help, i will be realy gratefull.
Ernest57777

Re: WED problems

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu May 14, 2020 8:53 pm

Never edit the apt.dat.gz included with FlightGear.

If you installed the scenery correctly, including the Airports/ folder (threshold.xml), it should work.

Edit - you must not have installed it correctly:

Check TerraSync is not over-writing it.

Details on how to install custom scenery:

Make a folder in Documents/FlightGear called Custom Scenery
Every time you install a scenery, drag the folder in there. So for instance, you would have Documents/FlightGear/OMDB-fg-CustomScenery and Documents/FlightGear/London-fg-CustomScenery.
Then, add those folders in the launcher. Make sure you have priority correct.

If TerraSync is on, it will be used instead of the custom scenery as far as I remember... please correct me if I'm wrong, someone.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Ernest57777 » Fri May 15, 2020 9:04 am

Thanks, it almost works now.
https://imgur.com/ZGDBKgx
Parkings are now in right places but map still isn't correspond to reality.
Last edited by Ernest57777 on Fri May 15, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ernest57777

Postby D-ECHO » Fri May 15, 2020 10:34 am

@legoboy: I think terrasync is only used when there is no custom scenery in that place, at least I have it always on and do still use custom sceneries.

@Ernest: Welcome to the forum!
The information about runways and parking positions are stored in two seperate files:
The Airports/ ... files include data about parking positions (and also some information for AI traffic, ILS etc.) while the runway position is taken from the apt.dat file. Because it's not that practical to de-compress, edit and re-compress the apt.dat.gz file for each new airport, additional apt.dat files, that override airports in the apt.dat.gz archive, can be placed in [Scenery Directory]/NavData/apt/
As this feature iirc is relatively new, not every custom scenery includes this folder/file, for example also not the custom scenery you are trying to use, https://github.com/mherweg/OMDB-fg-CustomScenery However, you can easily help yourself: In the main folder of that scenery (the one that includes Terrain/, Objects/, etc.), create a new folder "NavData" (capital/non-capital letters is important iirc), in that folder add another one called "apt" and copy the OMDB.dat file, that comes with the scenery, into your newly created apt folder. When opening FlightGear, it might take a while, because the navigation/airports/points of interest database is re-loaded, afterwards the runways FG puts you on should be aligned with the scenery.
D-ECHO

Postby Ernest57777 » Fri May 15, 2020 11:10 am

Thanks @D-ECHO ! But this operation has only deleted old taxiways.
https://imgur.com/Yud6ELI
Ernest57777

Postby D-ECHO » Fri May 15, 2020 11:26 am

I am not familiar with OMDB, do you mean that the runways are still in the wrong place?

IIRC it's normal that the taxiways are not shown anymore in that map, I think it only works with the old style of taxiways deprecated for a lot of time (please someone correct me if I am wrong)
D-ECHO

Postby Ernest57777 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:32 pm

Everything is good, runways are in good place, only problem is shown on screenshot, on map in menu marked are only parkings and runway. In game everything is correct.
Ernest57777

Postby Gijs » Sat May 16, 2020 7:07 am

That's indeed to be expected, as D-ECHO noticed. Polygon taxiways, like those from new airport layouts created in WED, are not (yet) implemented in the map. This is independent from the actual scenery in the simulator.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby AzulProfundo » Sun May 24, 2020 12:56 am

Hi,

I already worked with WED and created small sceneries for x-plane, a few years ago. Now I am starting with FG and noticed I can contribute enhancing airport layouts, starting in my home country.
There is a lot of material here about creating and placing 3D objects in the scenery, but this is not my speciality.
What I propose is simply to enhance the apt.dat files with WED. So I have a few questions:
  1. Is there any guide or tutorial specific for such a project in FG?
  2. And do I need to use TerraGear anyway?
  3. Can I use the process below to do a custom scenery?

I would just use the smallest amount of terrain from the scenery, keeping as it is, and then add the modified apt.dat in WED, and pack the result as a custom scenery.

I have also doubts about what I can use specificaly in WED that is useful for FG. The airport objects are out of question, off course, but what about the:
  1. AI traffic layout or the airport flows; does it make any sense to create those for FG?
  2. And what about the excludes, do they work?

For the moment, my plan is simply to work on runways, taxiways, parkings, markers, starting positions, and (if possible) taxiway signs.
Stage 2 would be adding a few 3D objects... :wink:
AzulProfundo

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby wkitty42 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:45 am

apt.dat is taken from x-plane and used when the world scenery is updated... if you modify your local copy, you will lose it when updating FG... there is, however, a method of updating without actually editing the file... that's by using the NavData directory in your custom scenery directory... even custom scenery you download can have their own NavData within them to update the apt.dat data in the navdata database...

unfortunately i do not see NavData documented in the wiki... there's only the navdata cache which is the actual database... but the gist is that you put .dat files of the proper format inside NavData/apt or NavData/nav depending on what you are adding/updating... i prefer to use ICAO.dat to keep each ICAO airport's info separate...

NavData/apt holds the airport data
NavData/nav holds navigation data

the file format is exactly the same as $fgdata/Airports/apt.dat.gz or $fgdata/Navaids/nav.dat.gz depending on what you are adding/updating... at this time, these are the only two that i'm aware of that can be updated in this manner... the other *.dat.gz files in $fgdata cannot be, AFAIK...

there's also that old removed-in-RL entities cannot be removed in this fashion... removing them must be done by editing the original apt.dat and we already know that's not a good idea which is how we landed here ;)

remember, updates should be done via the x-plane gateway so they'll be available the next time FG updates and rebuilds the world scenery... using the above NavData method is temporary as is using custom scenery...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby AzulProfundo » Sun May 24, 2020 6:07 pm

Hi,
wkitty42, thanks for your explanations. I will have in mind the need to create those NavData folders for the airport and navigation. Although I found that the navigation is OK most of the times.
I understand the documentation is lacking in describing this kind of procedures in FG.

What is somewhat puzzling to me is the mention to the need to submit to the x-plane gateway... Do I have to signal in some form the update is for FG?
As far as I remember, airports in the gateway have a more advanced update than in FG (in a few locations I know), and if FG would made the update for all, they should be already there.

I will do a test for the moment, in creating such a custom scenery. And certainly I will have to post many times to clear all the doubts that will certainly arise. 8)
AzulProfundo

Version: 2019.1.1

Return to Scenery