Board index Other Hangar talk

Microsoft Flight Simulator, a small graphics study

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator, a small graphics study

Postby Icecode GL » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:40 am

Hmmm, no.
Icecode GL

Callsign: icecode
Version: GIT

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:27 pm

V12 wrote in Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:20 am:If VRAM is full, PCIe traffic will be at 100%.

no it won't... not if it has to flush a small part out to load another small part... that won't even make a blip on the PCIe buss... you're assuming that data is being transferred all the time and it is not... it is being cached and only LRU (least recently used) is flush if needed...

it could even be your video drivers doing something to the traffic to work around bugs it detects... if i can find it again, i could post a link to an article from a video driver architect where they describe having to write code to detect bad usage of their driver and fix it so it will work properly... this because notifying those that wrote the bad code doesn't always work and the easiest thing is to fix other people's problems rather than get beat up by users complaining about bad graphics or low performance...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby V12 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:45 pm

Again, thank You for explanation.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Previous