Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Censored for having suggested core developer accountibility

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Censored for having suggested core developer accountibility

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:36 pm

Hi everyone,
Earlier today I posted about the community imposing accountability onto core developers for the long term benefit of the flightgear project, and suddenly my post was removed by a user named "Gijs" and his / her justifcation was that I was trying to "provoke" and "denigrate the core developers" and "troll", none of which I was trying to do.

I told him or her that he or she should watch his or her mouth, and that he or she should be very careful before ever again making any such accusation against me.

I told him or her that I would be posting again promptly, so here I am again to repost promptly.

I want to open this thread to introduce the topic of identifying individual members of the abstract " core development" group, and holding those members accountable as individuals when they , by either error or omission, cause problems inside the computer systems of the end users of the Flightgear product.

Thank you,

John

P.S. No offense Gijs, my brother or sister, whatever you are, but please do not ever again remove my post and accuse me of trying to "provoke" or "denigrate" anyone or of trying to "troll". I don't enjoy being accused like that. Whatever job the Flightgear community has given you to do, please remember that you have no authority except that it was given to you by others, and that authority can be removed from you very easily. So be careful how you do it; if you every falsely accuse me again, I will call you out again publicly, just as I did here today in this post.
FlyingHigh

Version: 2018.3.1

Re: Censored for having suggested core developer accountibil

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:15 pm

While I do not think you are doing it deliberately, your posts are coming across as somewhat rude.

You have come in here in order to express valid concerns. However, while I appreciate that you have remained polite, unlike so many others, you have continually shown a misunderstanding of how the project works. What I find somewhat rude is that you think you have the right to decide what should be done and that your way is the only correct way. Perhaps it is some form of a language barrier, but your posts sound awfully like demands. Coupled with misunderstanding of how the project works and a complete unwillingness to see viewpoints other than your own, it is self evident that you will not have a very positive reaction to them.

As to your point here, how do you feel they should be held accountable? Do you think that they should be locked up for instance? :roll:

Furthermore I fail to see any case of FlightGear causing damage to computer systems - am I misunderstanding you or are you saying that FlightGear broke something else unrelated?

And finally - you should know that when bugs are found in almost every case they are fixed within days! For example, the JSBSIM nested test logic, the breaking of multiplayer animations and effects because of the new LOD system, and compile errors after the new Compositor was introduced come to mind. So you can hardly say that the core developers are leaving bugs in deliberately.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Alant » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:28 pm

I do not know what you are up to.

A new user who suddenly unleases several threads such as "Proposition to eliminate all WIKIS", "Making the Flightgear/data/Docs folder more user friendly","Suggest remove "File/Download Scenery" from 2019.1.1-rc". - No wonder Gijs thinks that you are trolling.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Postby stuart » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Your suggestion that core developers should be removed from the project for not participating in the forum was trolling, and removed for that reason. If it was un-intentional, then I would suggest thinking a bit more before you type in future. And perhaps thanking Gijs for stopping you from unintentionally trolling.

Gijs is an admin on this forum and has the complete confidence and backing of the community. This is based on his long track record on the project and good judgement. If you wish to make a complaint about his behaviour, you can contact Curt Olsen who owns the forum.

I'm a member of the core developer group who participates in the forum. If you do a little research you should have no problem identifying me, though note that StuartC is another contributor.

I'm locking this topic for the moment because I'm going to bed and have no interest in staying up to moderate any comments you or others might make. I'll unlock it tomorrow morning.

Finally, I would recommend reading over the Forum Rules (see the banner). Any further breaking of the rules may result in being banned, so you should think carefully about what you post. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or aren't sure if what you want to post is OK or not.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby stuart » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:11 am

I've unlocked this topic again. Please think carefully before posting.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Torsten » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:52 am

and holding those members accountable as individuals when they , by either error or omission, cause problems inside the computer systems of the end users of the Flightgear product.

May I quote a bit of the license our program comes with?
(Please excuse capitalized text - I have copy 'n pasted it unmodified from the original text.
Code: Select all
                           NO WARRANTY

11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.  EXCEPT WHEN
OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES
PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED
OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  THE ENTIRE RISK AS
TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU.  SHOULD THE
PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING,
REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

12. IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING
WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR
REDISTRIBUTE THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES,
INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING
OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED
TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY
YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER
PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Please read the entire license text here: https://opensource.org/licenses/GPL-2.0. If you can't accept this license, you are free to remove it entirely from your computer and stay well clear of it.

Torsten (core developer)
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Return to The FlightGear project