Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Preview: Piper PA-22 Tri-Pacer

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Preview: Piper PA-22 Tri-Pacer

Postby erobo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:55 pm

Hello.
I would like to let you know, that I'm working (with great help from other guys from Polish forum) on model of Piper Tri-Pacer.
ImageImageImage
As you can see, model is still in alpha stage (no textures, and instrument panel lack some details), but we working hard to improve it.

Unfortunately, I'm aware that I got no necessary knowledge nor experience to make realistic FDM. Hence my question: is there anyone who will like to make realistic FDM for that aircraft? Please let me know if you are interested. I will send you model, and some documentation about this airplane I gathered.

Thank you,
Robert
erobo

Re: Preview: Piper PA-22 Tri-Pacer

Postby gooneybird » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:03 pm

Oo, I like that, just my type of plane :D
Have you got plans for any more like that, a Citabria would be nice.
gooneybird

Postby erobo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:26 pm

gooneybird wrote:Oo, I like that, just my type of plane :D
Have you got plans for any more like that, a Citabria would be nice.

Hi,
I'm very new to aircraft modeling. When Tri-Pacer will be finished, then I will see if my skills are sufficient to make more models for FG. But Citabria looks very interesting. Who knows, maybe it will be my next aircraft to model.

Thank you for tip. :)
erobo

Postby jentron » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi Erobo,

I'm pretty good with JSBSim FDMs but only a fair 3D modeler. :D
I'd like to take a look at your model before I commit to an FDM, but the snapshots look good. :)

Thanks,
Ron

p.s.
The model will be released under the GPL, right :?:
Aircraft: F-4E, Cessna 182RG, Fi-156 Storch, Diamond DA20 Katana and Eclipse, Ercoupe, LZ-129, Gossamer Albatross
Airports: CYKF, CNC4, KHIF, 42U, KOXB, 4MD1
jentron

Version: custom

Postby erobo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi Ron,
jentron wrote:I'd like to take a look at your model before I commit to an FDM, but the snapshots look good. :)

Thank you for interest, I have send you a PM with links to model and docs.
jentron wrote:The model will be released under the GPL, right :?:

Thats right, I will publish this model under GPL licence.
erobo

Postby jentron » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:04 am

Wow, great job so far on the model! I've got a rough JSBSim FDM flying now. Needs much refinement...
Aircraft: F-4E, Cessna 182RG, Fi-156 Storch, Diamond DA20 Katana and Eclipse, Ercoupe, LZ-129, Gossamer Albatross
Airports: CYKF, CNC4, KHIF, 42U, KOXB, 4MD1
jentron

Version: custom

Postby Barambu2sa » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:37 pm

Good
Barambu2sa

Postby erobo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:14 pm

Hello,

After few months of silence I'm pleased to announce that first "beta" of Tri-Pacer is ready. At first, would like to thank Pawel form Polish forum for his help in this project.

Few screenshots...
ImageImageImageImage

Model can be downloaded from here: http://www.speedyshare.com/325614754.html
The aircraft will run only with FG 1.9.0 (and later).

Be advised this model is still under development and not every detail is working correctly right now, for example: beacon light is not working at all, oil temperature and pressure indications aren't reliable, etc... Please forgive me not the best (gently speaking) FDM, this one was made by me and hopefully will be replaced by Ron's FDM some day. In contradiction to poor FDM, 3D model is almost ready and I hope you will enjoy how it looks and feels. You can operate many objects in the cabin by using mouse buttons and scroll-wheel.

Engine start can be tricky because you may have hard times finding master switch and ignition. If you would like learn how to manually start the engine, please use appropriate tutorial which will guide you through whole procedure. You can also use "Autostart" feature in "Tri-Pacer" menu.
BTW...
Maybe some of you be kind enough to look into tutorials and edit text if necessary? Unfortunately my English is very poor and some help from native speaker would be more than appreciated. Thanks in advance.

At the end I would like to point out some features implemented in the model that are unique to Tri-Pacer or may be not so obvious at first glance:
  • Under the panel (on the left side) you can find black leveler labeled "INTERCONNECTION SYSTEM". If you pull it out, rudder will be connected to yokes, so you can maneuver using yokes only - it works exactly like autocoordination option in FG Wizard.
  • By left/right clicking (or using scroll-wheel) on ones of a yoke's hub, you can change yoke's transparency.
  • On cabin's ceiling you can find working dome light - left click on it to turn it on/off.
  • This aircraft saves fuel state between sessions - therefore you need to check fuel tanks (and add fuel if necessary) before every flight!
  • Tachometer will record engine working time.

Hope you will enjoy it.

Regards,
Robert
erobo

Postby HHS » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:20 pm

Wow- another great piece of aircraft! Lovely! :D
Up, up and away
HHS
Retired

Version: GIT

Postby Gijs » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:07 pm

Fantastic model, with all those tiny features to discover!
A truely magnificient addition to FlightGear!
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby erobo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:18 pm

A little update...

Tutorials has been updated. Some spelling errors and bad grammar have been corrected - big thanks for QF52 for this work. I'm attaching updated tutorials in case you would like to have it. Unpack tar file into /Tri-Pacer/Tutorials folder, it should replace original file.

Regards,
Robert
erobo

Postby QF52 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:27 am

Hi guys
I am just here to say this plane is wonderful it is so great to fly
just a few FDM things need fixing
thanks,
QF52
Yes if you hear this it's true im modeling the Sydney Opera House
'Qantas orders more A380's and some Boeing Dreamliners (787's) hope to get on one someday =-)
QF52

Callsign: QF52 or SOA1

Postby stuart » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:05 pm

Robert,

Given that you're releasing it under the GPL, have you thought about submitting it to the FlightGear CVS repository?

Even if it is in beta, it is well worth submitting it as you will get lots of feedback and help.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby fatty » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:11 am

This is absolutely beautiful! You've obviously put a lot of work into it. I especially like the window and door animations.
fatty

Postby YourDailyTsunami » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:57 pm

I loved the detailed cockpit although the fdm gave me some strange feedback. Keep up the good work!
all the booze is free, airline goin' broke, here come the ladies with another jack'n'coke... :P
YourDailyTsunami

Callsign: Tsunami

Next

Return to Aircraft