Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

LIMC Preliminary Release.

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

LIMC Preliminary Release.

Postby brisa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi I have started working on the LIMC - Malpensa airport (Italy/Milano).
So far I have modeled the Terminal 1 and the tower.

this is one of my first modeled airport so ......

here are 2 previews:
The Terminal 1 + tower

The tower:

Here is are the blender files/textures/and ufo-exports all in one.
http://brisa.homelinux.net/fgfs/malpensa.tar.gz

should I submit to the scenery already ?

notice:
1) I have found that in the Airport jetway models there is a disturbing object, it looks like an export error to me. I am speaking about:
* Models/Airport/jetway-a320-ba.xml
* Models/Airport/jetway-737-ba.xml
* Models/Airport/jetway-747-ba.xml
they all have an object near where they attach to the airport body, this object is flying in the air alone some meter away.

For next releases I am planning to add:
* Terminal 2
* some more airport objects (such has fixed aircraft/cars and stuff)
* ground network with scheduled flights
brisa

Callsign: brisa

Re: LIMC Preliminary Release.

Postby Gijs » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:40 pm

Looking magnificent brisa!! The tower is really nice!
If you can apply some textures to the terminal that one will look super aswell.
brisa wrote:I have found that in the Airport jetway models there is a disturbing object, it looks like an export error to me. They all have an object near where they attach to the airport body, this object is flying in the air alone some meter away.

That's a Stand guidance systems (often called Visual Docking Guidance System). It shows the pilot when he should taxi left/right/forward/backwards to park excactly on the spot he should park. In FlightGear these things don't work, but they are there in the model...
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby brisa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:27 pm

Gijs wrote:Looking magnificent brisa!! The tower is really nice!

thanks, I hope I will end up with a good one
Gijs wrote:If you can apply some textures to the terminal that one will look super aswell.

The reason I did not applied too texture it is just because I am afraid of hurting rendering performance, but this is just a sensation, I really do not have any knowledge in this, if you guys say me I can add as many texture I want to the Terminal object I will make it very nice. At least can anyone tell me some hints on applying texture so that they will be rendered as fast as possible ?

Gijs wrote:That's a Stand guidance systems (often called Visual Docking Guidance System). It shows the pilot when he should taxi left/right/forward/backwards to park excactly on the spot he should park. In FlightGear these things don't work, but they are there in the model...

Can I duplicate this nice models with a version without the DGS and put it on the shared models DB ?
brisa

Postby Gijs » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:55 pm

brisa wrote:The reason I did not applied too texture it is just because I am afraid of hurting rendering performance, but this is just a sensation, I really do not have any knowledge in this, if you guys say me I can add as many texture I want to the Terminal object I will make it very nice. At least can anyone tell me some hints on applying texture so that they will be rendered as fast as possible ?
If you have a brick wall of 30 meters long, you don't need a texture for the whole wall. You can cut a tiny piece out and copy that in a continues loop over the wall (it might be hard to make this kind of textures, as they should be seamless).

Also, using PNG textures can save half of the filesize (compared to RGB). Disadvantage is that PNG textures only work with 1.9 or higher.

Usually it's not the textures that make your computer lag. The amount of polygons is more important...

Can I duplicate this nice models with a version without the DGS and put it on the shared models DB ?

Sure, just send it to the database maintainers.
Gijs

Postby shervin88 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:35 pm

i want to help you with textures brisa, malpensa is one of my favourite airport :D
shervin88

Postby brisa » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:02 am

shervin88 wrote:i want to help you with textures brisa, malpensa is one of my favourite airport :D

well well, I was thinking to texturize all MPX, since without textures it looks different from what I see from blender and old fgfs version.....
we can plan on how to work about it.
Are you from Italy ?
brisa

Postby Zan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:16 pm

Gijs wrote:Usually it's not the textures that make your computer lag. The amount of polygons is more important...

This is not true with decent graphic cards. They render 1000 or 100000 polygons in almost the same time. State changes are the things that slow nowadays cards down. And this means texture or material changes, changing from quads to triangles, changing transparency settings, shaders etc.

So basically you can use lots of polygons and big textures, but either draw all polygons textured or with just color. Also, one should have all textures bundled together in one image, which is used in all object.

See http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Howto:_Improve_Framerates for some tips. Timoore updated that a while ago.

Zan
Zan

Postby Gijs » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:57 am

Zan wrote:
Gijs wrote:Usually it's not the textures that make your computer lag. The amount of polygons is more important...

This is not true with decent graphic cards.

Cheeee, can you see how little I knew about computers only a year ago!! :D
Gijs

Postby shervin88 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:28 pm

brisa wrote:
shervin88 wrote:i want to help you with textures brisa, malpensa is one of my favourite airport :D

well well, I was thinking to texturize all MPX, since without textures it looks different from what I see from blender and old fgfs version.....
Are you from Italy ?

yes I'm from Italy :D
shervin88

Postby Zan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 pm

Gijs wrote:Cheeee, can you see how little I knew about computers only a year ago!! :D

Ha! Sorry, didn't check the date! But it wasn't me who pulled up an old thread ;)
Zan

Postby scighera » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:42 am

shervin88 wrote:
brisa wrote:

Are you from Italy ?

yes I'm from Italy :D

Ciao brisa and shervin88 ... here another italian ... my self :D :D :D

I just downloaded the Malpensa Terminal 1 and Control Tower from the repository, but it took to me a long time to find them !!!
But it has been worthwhile, even if they are not textured they look great ...

I'm born in Milano, but presently living in Bergamo ... so, I'm right now modeling LIME Bergamo Orio al Serio, after having modeled some building of LILV Valbrembo and LILQ Massa Cinquale.

Let's keep in touch !!!

Paolo
Callsign: I-SCIG
The hangar: http://digilander.libero.it/scighera_fg/index.html
The "happy motorbiker" - http://web.tiscali.it/kclub
scighera

Callsign: scighera
Version: 2dot6

Postby shervin88 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:34 pm

ok, Paolo
shervin88

Postby brisa » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:15 am

well, you can download last "development" release from here:
http://brisa.homelinux.net/fgfs/malpensa.tar.gz

last thing I was doing was on AI Traffic.
brisa

Return to Scenery