Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Cessna Citation-X issues

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Cessna Citation-X issues

Postby ricj » Tue May 20, 2014 5:01 am

Issue #1

When taking off...........at 130knots, I pull hard on the Yolk, the nose lifts but not until 170-180 knots does the plane leave the ground. Is it unusual ?? Should it not leave the ground at 140 knots.

When trying to land, all 4 flaps at engaged, I am able to bring speed down to 110 knots but the sink rate is too fast and engine is at ZERO power. Ultimately, the plane "thumps" on the runway and CRASH occurs. How can I control the sink rate in order to touch the runway slowly and go further with regular landing. How to control the sink rate even say 10 NM from the airport?

Have also found the plane gains height during landing phase, if nose is UP and even if engine at ZERO, all 4 flaps engaged. Where is the power coming from for plane to gain height? should it not be losing height given engine is at ZERO. Is not landing a controlled crash of sorts?

Also, what are ways to reduce the air speed in flight, which key strokes to use?

what is the use of thrust reverser, are they only to reduce speed after landing?
ricj

Re: Cessna Citation-X issues

Postby surpii » Tue May 20, 2014 6:35 am

If the engines are at zero, the plane can still gain altitude if it has enough air speed.

You can reduce the airspeed in lots of different ways. You can do it by increasing flaps, raising the nose and climbing, using the speed brakes if it has them (ctrl-b), putting down the gears, doing a barrel roll or a vertical loop. If you are too fast or too high on approach, do a circle to lose speed or altitude.

Thrust reverser is a braking mechanism to help you brake faster after touchdown.

I've rarely flown the Citation-X, but during takeoff you probably can takeoff sooner. During landing, make sure that your descent is slow, to around 400ft per minute in your case. And remember to flare before landing. It sounds like you're stalling or aiming directly nose-first at the ground.
surpii

Postby HJ1AN » Tue May 20, 2014 10:22 am

I've found that landing one flap setting short makes the landing smoother. Using full flaps makes it harder to control the descent rate. Or put another way, have full flaps just before touchdown.

110 knots is too slow btw, If i recall correctly, i found the speed just nice about 130.

Can't recall the take off, will have to try it to see. And you should never approach with zero power too.
HJ1AN

Callsign: HJ888
Version: 3.4

Postby sanhozay » Tue May 20, 2014 12:28 pm

i'd agree with 130 as a touchdown speed. With full flaps, you need quite a bit of power to avoid a stall, maybe even as much as 60% N1, which is quite an increase over what you need for one less step of flaps.

I find the best way to land it is to get the main wheels down, cut the power and keep the yoke pulled back so that the nose gear doesn't touch down until < 60kts. It can easily go out of control with the nose wheel down at higher speeds. Speed brakes can be deployed to reduce speed on descent but I'd usually retract those by final approach and use the reversers and speed brakes to slow down after touchdown.

Similarly, on takeoff, I'd try to get the nose off the ground early, keep it straight with the rudder and just let it take off as speed increases. There is plenty of power and you need to back off to 50% or you'll easily exceed 250kts below FL100.

Note also that the approach mode will not engage outside 7nm out. That's built into the autopilot and simulates the real aircraft. So you typically need to be 2000ft AGL by that point.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby HJ1AN » Tue May 20, 2014 1:52 pm

Oh yeah I found that if you land with a high sink rate it will slam into the ground and the nose gear will hit, then bounce back up.
HJ1AN

Callsign: HJ888
Version: 3.4

Postby Kabuki » Tue May 20, 2014 4:43 pm

The Citation-X is the WRONG plane to learn basic piloting skills!!!

I suggest you into the Cessna 172 Skyhawk and use the *excellent* tutorials available from the help menu.
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Return to Flying