Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

osm2city.py development

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: osm2city.py development

Postby montagdude » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:39 pm

Hopefully this is the right place for this question. If I should make a new thread instead, let me know.

I have started using osm2city during the last week or so to generate scenery for different locations. It is an amazing tool, by the way, so thank you! I have a question, though. I am currently trying to run it for a relatively large area (about 4x3 degrees). I ran the script with -p3, but now after having run for a couple hours, only one process is active. I ran it with the --log-to-file option, and only one of the osm2city_process_SpawnPoolWorker*.log files has been written to recently. Any ideas why that would happen? This is obviously going to make it take forever to finish the entire area.

Also, in the event that the building fails or gets killed, is there a way to make it pick up again from where it left off?
montagdude

Postby merspieler » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:55 pm

montagdude: Continuing an interrupted build is not really supported. I've written some scripts that let you do it. https://gitlab.com/merspieler/easy-osm2city
Note that they are a wraper around osm2city so you'd have to change your directory structure to the one it uses or you just look at it, how I did it and come up with something your self.
Love at first flight A<380
Checkout Autopush. An improvment to the pushback to make your life easier.
Attempting an osm2city worldbuild... Testers needed!
merspieler

Callsign: JST935. ORI1711
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby montagdude » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:02 am

merspieler wrote in Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:55 pm:montagdude: Continuing an interrupted build is not really supported. I've written some scripts that let you do it. https://gitlab.com/merspieler/easy-osm2city
Note that they are a wraper around osm2city so you'd have to change your directory structure to the one it uses or you just look at it, how I did it and come up with something your self.

Thanks, that looks helpful! I started over with a couple settings changed back to default (PROBE_FOR_WATER and OWBB_USE_BTG_LANDUSE), and that seems to have prevented the parallel processes from dying, at least for now. It's still got a long way to go, though. If it fails, I'll definitely study your restarting solution and see if I can do something similar.
montagdude

Previous

Return to Scenery