Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Rear-View Mirror?

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Rear-View Mirror?

Postby fg4drt » Tue May 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Is there any way to get 'mirror imagery' through FlightGear? An entire camera/view/window/whatever rendered as a mirror of the normal image would be great, and so would having just *part* of camera/view/window/whatever rendered that way. I seem to recall that an old, old, flightsim I used to have had rear-view mirrors. Even a 3rd party app or something that would *horizontally flip* a monitor's image similar to how graphics drivers *rotate* the image would work. I've done quite a bit of searching but haven't come up with anything regarding this. Any ideas?
fg4drt

Re: Rear-View Mirror?

Postby Johan G » Tue May 28, 2013 9:58 pm

This particular question has come up many times before, but unfortunately I do not think it is yet possible to define a model geometry in such a way that a view would be rendered to to its texture.

For earlier discussions on the forum click this link for a search on "mirror view".

I think the most interesting topic on this might be Improved camera configuration options.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Thorsten » Wed May 29, 2013 6:53 am

Rembrandt would *probably* be conceptually able to do something like this, by rendering a rear view into a texture buffer which is then used in the main pass. I'm not sure it could be done in the defult scheme. Definitely not something you can pull off without massively diving into the code.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Wed May 29, 2013 7:04 am

Once osg::CompositeViewer is used, it will be possible to have independent camera views - which could also be rendered to a texture (instrument, mirror etc). I think omega95 made a feature request for the canvas to support such a thing, but it is primarily 2D oriented right now - still, Tom mentioned that he would be supportive of the idea once CompositeViewer is adopted. A more technical discussion is to be found at: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Use_a_ ... Instrument

Here, you'd be abusing the "instrument manager" to create a corresponding texture
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Graphics