Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Cockpit development

External camera for periscope

Discussion about creating 2d and 3d cockpits.

External camera for periscope

Postby abassign » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:30 pm

I would like to work the periscope used by the pilot back of the Fouga Magister and the pilot of the Arado 234. It is therefore necessary to have an external camera which incorporates the scene with a certain viewing angle and direction, then a screen reproducing the scene on the screen, for example, of the periscope. Know it is possible put more cameras in FGFS, but only for the GUI, but not as a gauge. Does anyone know if there is something developed? I think that having this feature would be very useful for many devices. For IR cameras pointing the guns, and many other things ... What do you think, it can be done?
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Re: External camera for periscope

Postby abassign » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:00 pm

In this link there is a possible solution: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:_Use_a ... Instrument
abassign

Postby Hooray » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:06 pm

Yes, that would be possible using the extension discussed there. However, that will only be of interest if you are familiar with C++ and able to build FG from source. While there's a fair amount of code to be reused in FG, nothing has materialized yet - and it would take some fair amount of familiarity with C++, OpenGL and OSG to render custom camera views to an instrument texture layer.

Also, it isn't yet clear if and how od_gauge based "glass" instruments are going to be affected by Fred's Project Rembrandt (deferred rendering).

Currently, there 2 people interested in this - because it is directly related to the 787, so if you know C++ and would like to join the effort, you can get in touch with redneck and omega95.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby eekpo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 pm

deleted
Last edited by eekpo on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eekpo
Retired

Postby Stiglr » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:28 pm

The other very obvious utility for this would be for a rear-facing cockpit mirror, such as you find on several WWII types and also some jets, too.
Question then is.... what's the framerate hit for having, essentially two views in one screen?
Stiglr

Postby abassign » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:35 pm

Exactly what is the effect! It seems very nice and complete the plane, then it can be applied in many other cases. The problem is that I do not know the system development in C + + of FGFs, so I hope that some C + + programmer can give me a hand.
abassign

Postby helijah » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:30 pm

lol, this is a question I posed long ago when creating the Ryan NYP (2007). Maybe if others are waiting for this function it will eventually happen :)

http://helijah.free.fr/flightgear/les-appareils/ryan-nyp/appareil.htm

Regards Emmanuel
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah
Version: GIT

Postby Hooray » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:22 pm

abassign wrote in Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:35 pm:Exactly what is the effect! It seems very nice and complete the plane, then it can be applied in many other cases. The problem is that I do not know the system development in C + + of FGFs, so I hope that some C + + programmer can give me a hand.

The basic C++ steps are outlined on the wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:_Use_a ... Instrument
This has been frequently requested and discussed, so it's probably one of the more popular feature requests, just see: http://flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 98#p140337

As you can see, Zan has worked on some related code (i.e. mapping camera views to textures dynamically), this would need to be generalized so that the textures can be rendered as instrument layers. A number of core developers also commented on this already:
Tim Moore wrote:That would require a change in current fg architecture to use a CompositeViewer instead of a single Viewer, but we're contemplating that anyway.

helijah wrote:lol, this is a question I posed long ago when creating the Ryan NYP (2007). Maybe if others are waiting for this function it will eventually happen :)

Note however that feature requests should be ideally made using the issue tracker: http://code.google.com/p/flightgear-bug ... ureRequest
The forum and the mailing list are not really well-suited for making feature requests - it's much better to use the issue tracker.
If you can find a related feature request, it makes sense to leave a vote rather than posting yet another feature request.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Johan G » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:56 pm

I guess this also can be used for mirrors, which are common in fighter aircraft.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby abassign » Sun May 06, 2012 8:52 pm

abassign

Postby Hooray » Sun May 06, 2012 9:35 pm

Yes, but "howto" is actually a little misleading - this is just work in progress and describes how a new instrument type could be created using C++, i.e. as part of the FG core code base - you cannot currently make use of this feature, this feature needs to be developed from scratch and there are different approaches and ideas. The wiki link you mentioned is just a summary of the various ideas and intended to help us come up with all requirements and a corresponding design.

In other words: The link will only be of interest, if you already know C++, know how to build FG from source, and know how to do OpenGL/OSG programming.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Cockpit development