Board index FlightGear Media

Typhoon+Grand Canyon+FaceTrackNoIR=AwEsOmE

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Typhoon+Grand Canyon+FaceTrackNoIR=AwEsOmE

Postby redneck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:37 pm

It may still be processing. If that's the case, just check back later. Enjoy!
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Re: Typhoon+Grand Canyon+FaceTrackNoIR=AwEsOmE

Postby longfly » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:33 pm

Great video - Great sound :!:
longfly

Version: always new

Postby Sealbhach » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Great video and soundtrack, but I don't see much difference to a normal Flightgear video, maybe you should look up or to the side a bit more.

Sealbhach

Postby redneck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:30 pm

You...don't...see... much difference? :shock: Hmm. I even tilted the view. You can't do that with mouse look, keyboard look, or any fancy joystick setups I've seen. I can tell you one thing though. When I do formations and ACM practice, it's gonna be a helluva lot different.

Maybe you need me to tell you the difference. Dynamic cockpit view reacts to changes in direction of the aircraft to pan the view up/down and/or to the side. It does not, however, tilt the view to keep the horizon parallel with your eyes, like all pilots do naturally. Furthermore, in order to pan your view without resorting to manual manipulation, you MUST change direction first.

With FaceTrackNoIR, I am able to very easily look away from my direction of travel and bring a visual (or radar) target into sight. In this case, the target was the runway, then the Colorado River, then my instrument, then the runway again. I look, then I turn. That's the difference. Furthermore, I do not become disoriented through changing my view as my head acts as a reference. If my head is turned to the left and pitched up, I know I'm looking left through the top of the canopy.

Perhaps, under normal conditions, it's impossible for the viewer to fully appreciate just how awesome this software is, as they are not experiencing how much easier it makes the FG experience. Sigh.

Even flying the pattern has become *MUCH* easier (that should be enough emphasis). I've tried tracking other aircraft recently as well, but ave not documented it, since I don't document general shenanigans. Even that has become brilliantly easier. All I have to do is stare, and then maneuver, while occasionally glancing back at the HUD to check my altitude and attitude.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Postby Sealbhach » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:01 pm

Right, there's a sequence that starts around 3:00 minutes that shows it well enough. I guess I didn't notice. Sorry.

Sealbhach

Postby El Flauta » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:03 am

Great :) You got an "awesometastic" system to view FlightGear.

The constant up/down movement of the aircraft was made due to the low speed?
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby redneck » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:28 am

Sealbhach wrote in Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:01 pm:Right, there's a sequence that starts around 3:00 minutes that shows it well enough. I guess I didn't notice. Sorry.

You don't have to be sorry. I'm just surprised yo0u missed it at first. At least you were able to see what I was talking about.
El Flauta wrote in Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:03 am:The constant up/down movement of the aircraft was made due to the low speed?

The Typhoon is very maneuverable, even at such a low speed. However, with great maneuverability comes greater control sensitivity. So, basically, that was just me trying to hold the plane at a constant attitude (for the brief moments I had a chance to do so) and not being able to get the perfect amount of back pressure on the stick.

Thanks for the comments guys :D
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby someguy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:14 am

Too bad it only works in Windows.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Farmboy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:18 pm

someguy wrote in Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:14 am:Too bad it only works in Windows.

x 10.
Horsepower is just an illusion. Torque is the true answer.
Farmboy

Location: NorthEast New York State, and the rest of New England....

Postby redneck » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:16 pm

I know. For now. Keep checking FaceAPI's site. They are working to get it working on Mac and Linux. Hopefully, it won't be much longer.

EDIT: Actually, you guys might want to also check out falafel's headtraker, since that one works with Linux. As for Mac, looks like you're out of luck for the moment.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Return to Media