Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Pilatus PC-21 Reinvented

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Pilatus PC-21 Reinvented

Postby pjedvaj » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:23 pm

It seams that I've got some free time due to some delays in my exams. :) Bad quality and some beginner mistakes in my first package of PC-21 made me to replace it with a new one. It will include all advantages developed for my PC-9M, new high-poly model, even more liveries and all glass cockpit. I've started to model it yesterday, this is the progress so far:

Retired
pjedvaj

Re: Pilatus PC-21 Reinvented

Postby Johan G » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:28 pm

Excellent! I'll start researching liveries and performance data points right away. :D

I have a request related to the UV mapping: If at all possible try to map the portions of the wing root fairings visible from above the aircraft to the same map as the upper side of the wing. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby pjedvaj » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:26 pm

Exported from Maya to AC3D and imported to FG... Don't worry Johan, I'll map it but I'll probably need to reduce it (.ac is 5MB and it has 50k poligons!). :)

Retired
pjedvaj

Postby Johan G » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:54 pm

I hope you haven't started on the cockpit yet. I set out to find close up pictures, but slipped into avionics specifications... :wink:

I found dimensions and front views of the displays for you.

The MFDs are apparently made by Barco and the PC-21 uses four displays of one type, CHDD-6.8/1 (pdf fact sheet), and two displays of another type, MFD-6.8/1 (pdf fact sheet). (source)

The stand by instruments are made by Maggit Avionics and seems to consist of two attitude indicators, each a iSFD (Integrated Secondary flight display, pdf fact sheet) and two standby engine instruments, each a EEDS (Electronic engine display system, pdf fact sheet). (source)

EDIT: At least some planes will apparently be equipped with avionics from Esterline/CMC Electronics, CMA-9000 FMS (Flight Management System, pdf fact sheet and a SparrowHawk HUD(Head Up Display, crappy pdf fact sheet). (source)

EDIT 2: Found a page describing components of a simulator cockpit, made by Reiser Systemtechnik. Could be usful as a reference when texturing the cockpit.

I have also found a detailed report of the spin carachterisics and the process of getting them right, Designed for spin by Leonardo Manfriani, Pilatus, but that's for way later
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Johan G

Postby pjedvaj » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:09 am

Wow, you have been busy! Thanks a lot, I'm now sure you won't let me mess this one up like I usually do. :D
Retired
pjedvaj

Postby pjedvaj » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:54 pm

File was too large so I've modeled it again, now it looks the same but it has 5 times less polygons. :D
Animations and most configuration files are added. Wheels and cockpit are just mockups from PC-9M. I still need to model landing gear and flaps scissors and to animate them. In day or two I'll UV map it and make a paintkit.

Retired
pjedvaj

Postby Johan G » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:06 am

I'm, not sure if you got the flaps right or not, I can't tell from that angle. :?

I can see that you got the ventral fin under the tail and the elevator strakes (extensions in front of the elevator roots) right. :D The first prototype had a different set up in the beginning of the flight test programme, but the production aircraft will use a configuration like yours. They are apparently there to get the right spin characteristics. (described in detail in the report I browsed through)

Also it might be helpful, or not, :wink: that one of the articles I browsed through mentioned that the roll spoilers, or spoilerons, would not start to extend before the aileron had a five degree deflection. That probably accounts for why they are so hard to spot in use. It also seems that they can be turned off.

I will post some images on the flaps in short time.

EDIT: My 500th post! :shock: :D
Johan G

Postby Johan G » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:07 am

As I can't really see how you modelled the flaps, you could as well have gotten them right. But here's some reference pictures just in case.

Top and bottom view with retracted flaps. It looks like 1/3 to 2/3 is visible from above beginning directly behind the spoilerons:
Pilatus PC-21 by numnuts, on Flickr

PC-21 by carlos346, on Flickr

From the bottom view and this view one can see that the flaps extends in under the wing root fairing all the way to the speed brake:
PC-21 by elessar_ch, on Flickr

Here's what a fowler flap looks like in profile:
Fowler flap diagram.svg by F l a n k e r on Wikimedia Commons

Fully extended flaps. In the first photo one can't see through the wing, one only sees the "pockets" for the flap to retract into. In the second photo one sees through the slot of the fowler flap:
pc-21_11 by hermann_keist, on Flickr

Pilatus PC-21 by Vortex Aviation Photography, on Flickr
Johan G

Postby pjedvaj » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:26 am

Don't worry, I've modeled and animated them like that.
Congrats on your 501st post:)
Retired
pjedvaj

Postby i4dnf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:29 am

Only those flaps on the PC aren't fowlers, they're just slotted flaps. For them to be fowler flaps they would have to extend (slide) backwards from the trailing edge thus increasing the wing chord and surface area. Also from what I can deduce from those photos just the round(er) part of the leading edge of the flap (~1/3 of the chord) is covered by the wing.
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D
Version: GIT

Postby Johan G » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:03 pm

I just found something I wish I'd seen a week ago. Pilatus Aircraft official Pilatus PC-21 Model Building Plans (PDF). :shock: (Why doesn't other manufacturers want to see accurate models of their aircraft?)

Please don't start all over unless you absolutely want to.

I seem unable to get the address of the specific page with the other building plans, but more of them can be found by going from http://www.pilatus-aircraft.com --> Media/News --> Multimedia & Downloads --> Model Building Plans.

i4dnf wrote in Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:29 am:Only those flaps on the PC aren't fowlers, they're just slotted flaps.

Probably should have checked a comparison between them. :wink: Thank you for correcting that. :D

Getting back to the livery research...
Johan G

Postby pjedvaj » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Calm down, I've used official blueprints from Pilatus. It's quite accurate, flaps are just like on photos. :)
My first model was made by some RC blueprints with enlarged wing surface and wasn't so accurate. I've learned from my mistakes... In about 4 hrs I'll upload mapped model for you.
Retired
pjedvaj

Postby Johan G » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:12 pm

Great! :D Calming down... :wink:
Johan G

Postby pjedvaj » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:30 pm

Mapped (UV map is included into Liveries folder) and lines layer added.

http://sites.google.com/site/pjedvajflightgear/pilatus-pc-21/PC-21.zip

Retired
pjedvaj

Postby pjedvaj » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Some minor corrections on 3D model, landing gear added and animated, UV is remaped...

Retired
pjedvaj

Next

Return to Aircraft