Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Flight dynamics model

Ground Vehicle FDM?

Good sims require good FDMs (the "thing" that makes an aircraft behave like an aircraft).

Ground Vehicle FDM?

Postby Farmboy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:17 pm

There was recently some discussion about the lack of a proper ground vehicle fdm, which makes sense since it is FLIGHTGear, not DriveGear. But, as with all projects that evolve through many tangents, there may be a place for a decent ground vehicle fdm in FlightGear.

I bring this up as I (with the help of my son) just recently discovered how much of an off-road monster truck the Crash Tender was. The Crash Tender is a firetruck created by Anders Gidenstam, which is similar to the other few vehicles in FlightGear, with a few exceptions. One is that I believe it was created as a natural ground-borne response vehicle to the wildfire scenario. But two, is that he created wonderful spring-loaded and heavily dampened hard points that keep the vehicle upright in all but the most absurd conditions.

Here's an example of how the truck reacts to an extreme road, being the solid upper deck of the Oakland Bridge. Note, this truck reacts great on the roads and countryside as well.

The truck is electric powered which provides excellent torque for a constant speed even uphill. And a foam dispensing nozzle to hose your fire down with.
So as a vehicle running on an aircraft fdm, he's done quite a good job.

I also just happened to see these videos on the SnowPlow, which I was never able to start myself, but obviously someone did! -

Now, until someone creates a new "Auto"Sim fdm, with some creative minds and good use of the animations, springs and dampening effects available in both YASim and JSBsim, I'm sure it won't be long before there's a few MG races around some deserted airport, or a "Bigfoot" truck race up through the woods.

Peter :)
Horsepower is just an illusion. Torque is the true answer.
Farmboy

Location: NorthEast New York State, and the rest of New England....

Re: Ground Vehicle FDM?

Postby teh warlock » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:09 pm

sorry if i sound like a newb but where did you get the firetruck from because i would like to see the fdm that that model has because i want to work on some ground vehicles for FG

Cheers!
remember this: when in doubt ask skyop.
teh warlock

IRC name: tehwarlock
Version: git

Postby Farmboy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:32 pm

Farmboy

Postby Farmboy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Well, I've finally gotten the vehicles in a state that I find acceptable to put out here for everyone.

I know of number of you have seen myself and someguy driving all over creation with a crash_hauler, crash_hauler_long, or a crash_camaro. To put it mildly we did some extensive testing, once we got beyond laughing hysterically at the things we were doing with these vehicles. As someguy said, just think "magic schoolbus" and you'll be on the right track.

I don't have the bike ready yet, so in this pack there are three vehicles, all based off Anders' Crash_tender after my son discovered how well it reacted to the terrain back in January.
The Crash_hauler is a short flatbed version of the _tender, with updated animations, some cab enhancements, and suspension and thrust enhancements.
The Crash_hauler_long is a longer triple axle version of that, with a little something on the flatbed to haul around.
Both of these vehicles are excellent all-terrain units, in climbing, jumping, and extreme fun roaming around the globe.

The Crash_camaro is a twitchy little flat ground machine, still a work in progress, but fun to bomb around the flatter roads and tarmac with. While I've dampened it a bit, it is still tail happy, so steer slowly or keep the speed down.

All three vehicles are in dire need of texturing, if anyone has an inclination, feel free. I have no maps for them.

I've put them on mediafire, since it's my only source of public download. Take your pick of a zipped file or tgz file. Both are identical.
EDIT : ****** Newer files later in thread ********

As a note to all, if you don't take the time to read the README.txt file, you'll be missing out.

Hope you enjoy.
Peter
Last edited by Farmboy on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Farmboy

Postby longfly » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:44 pm

I downloaded them! Very nice work. I like the truck with the Bo105!

I am looking forward to ride the Honda CBR!

Keep it up this amazing work :D

Longfly
longfly

Version: always new

Postby jack » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:55 pm

Farmboy, if you need a more permanent host don't hesitate to drop me a pm. I can host the files for you. :)
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1
Version: GIT

Postby Farmboy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:07 am

Thanks, Jack, you're more than welcome to stick 'em there if people can find them.

It didn't take long for me to find out that I didn't have the instrument texture path set properly. With that changed, there are new files uploaded.

EDIT : ****** Newer files later in thread ********

Once again, both are the same, you choice on zip or tgz.

Sorry about the bad path.
Peter
Last edited by Farmboy on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Farmboy

Postby VicMar » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:43 pm

Hi Guys,

I have downloaded these vehicles and have found them to be great fun. If we are allowed to make suggestions, could I please ask for a reverse gear? Without being too demanding, I think that is all that is missing at this stage.

Cheers and thanks for some fun stuff.
Vic
p.s. Please don't ask me how to code the reverse as I have no idea.
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby jack » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:51 pm

Farmboy, you can upload your Vehicles to my site by going to the upload page: http://alphashangar.co.nr/?page_id=78

After you upload it from the form, go to http://alphashangar.co.nr/uploads/ and you can get the link to your package from there. That should be a little faster and more convenient than having to wait for me to upload them every time. :)
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1
Version: GIT

Postby Farmboy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:25 am

VicMar wrote in Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:43 pm:Hi Guys,

I have downloaded these vehicles and have found them to be great fun. If we are allowed to make suggestions, could I please ask for a reverse gear? Without being too demanding, I think that is all that is missing at this stage.

Cheers and thanks for some fun stuff.
Vic
p.s. Please don't ask me how to code the reverse as I have no idea.

Vic, It seems I must have overlooked putting that in the help file. Reverse is already there, just press "R" (shift r) to toggle to reverse, or back to forward.
I'll add that to the help dialog.

Just added sound, added "Shift R" to the help menu to show reverse. Updated folders.

Peter
Last edited by Farmboy on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farmboy

Postby Farmboy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:26 am

jack wrote in Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:51 pm:Farmboy, you can upload your Vehicles to my site by going to the upload page: http://alphashangar.co.nr/?page_id=78

After you upload it from the form, go to http://alphashangar.co.nr/uploads/ and you can get the link to your package from there. That should be a little faster and more convenient than having to wait for me to upload them every time. :)

Thanks Jack, will do!

Peter :)
Farmboy

Postby Kaptain Krunch » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:04 am

I saw you guys on MP with these things, and when I checked the model view and saw the little blue and yellow gliders bouncing all over the place, I knew it'd probably be something fun. Thanks for letting the rest of us in on it. Laughed myself stupid last night doing ridiculous jumps of the hills around KSFO last night. Nice to know I am not the only silly mofo around here...
Now if I only knew how to map textures, I'd be more than happy to paint the camaro for you!
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of time, and usually that's good enough."
Kaptain Krunch

Callsign: Krunch
Version: v2

Postby Farmboy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:59 am

Kaptain Krunch wrote in Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:04 am:Laughed myself stupid last night doing ridiculous jumps of the hills around KSFO last night.

Heh... try some of the mountainous regions in the world. :)

_hauler models have sound now.

Peter
Farmboy

Postby VicMar » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:13 am

Farmboy said,
Reverse is already there, just press "R" (shift r)
Thanks Peter. I can't think why I didn't find it myself. I thought I had already searched in the obvious places.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Farmboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:07 am

Farmboy

Next

Return to Flight dynamics model