Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

New York City

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

New York City

Postby statto » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:28 am

Hello everyone.

There should be three New York City skyscrapers on their way to the scenery repository shortly. These include the GM Building, the MetLife building, and the Citigroup building. Most importantly, they replace three generic skyscrapers. I've attached a screenshot below.

I plan to continue creating real skyscrapers, though I've been sidetracked (there are a LOT of places which need models). If you refer to the screenshot below, there is a LOT of work to be done on the New York skyline, and I'm asking for help. Considering JFK has terminal buildings modeled, and new land cover is coming at the next scenery release, I'm posting today to see if anyone is interested in modeling any other buildings, bridges, or landmarks in the area.

If you are interested, here's a quick "toolchain". Please visit http://seamless.usgs.gov/website/seamless/viewer.htm - zoom in on Manhattan; select "orthoimagery"; select the appropriate aerial imagery (the two-foot 2006 Long Island dataset is fine for this sort of thing); research a building to model (there are a number of good sources on the internet, including Wikipedia); use the measurement tool to measure out the dimensions of the building; texture the building appropriately, if possible; use the elevation and coordinate information on the website and click on the corner of the building which represents the axis, so we know where to put the building in the database.

Please consider modeling just ONE bridge or skyscraper - even the minor skyscrapers are important. Let's make New York City a place worth flying over.

EDIT: Finished Madison Square Garden arena, working on Two Penn Plaza at the moment.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Re: New York City

Postby penta » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:08 am

I'm available to model something. I will take a look at some photos I have and see what I can model. Is it worth to create a wiki page to track who is working on what?
penta

Version: Git

Postby zakalawe » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:43 pm

Excellent work - every time I fly at JFK I wish NY had better modelling - I assume the land-cover will fix the 'is that central park or not?' confusion.

I have one unhelpful observation - as a non-New Yorker, the generic skyscrapers don't look that wrong to me (I can tell the Chrysler building and Empire State are missing). The things that are most obviously missing for me are the bridges, and that big green statue. I do fully appreciate that the Brooklyn bridge in particular, let alone the Statue of Liberty, are pretty complex things to model.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby statto » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:15 pm

penta wrote:I'm available to model something. I will take a look at some photos I have and see what I can model. Is it worth to create a wiki page to track who is working on what?

We can just co-ordinate it here - wiki pages tend not to be utilized well for collaborative efforts.
statto

Postby Sealbhach » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:37 pm

How about using some of Intel-Qubes' Instant City work?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10016

Sealbhach

Postby Tuxklok » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:27 pm

I'd love to see New York look proper. I'll try to contribute something when I have some time, have a lot on my plate already though so don't know when.

cheers
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby penta » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:14 pm

Is there a way to see which landmarks are already modeled for New York City? I've looked in [1] but can't find a way to search for NYC

Thanks

[1] http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/
penta

Postby statto » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:04 am

Already modeled:
+ MetLife Building
+ General Motors Building
+ Citigroup Center
+ 375 Place/Verizon Building
+ JFK Airport

Models I've made, haven't sent in:
+ Madison Square Garden
+ One Penn Center Plaza
+ Two Penn Center Plaza
statto

Postby penta » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:22 pm

Just another question I forgot to ask: can we use the source you provided [1] to take measurements and coordinates for buildings?

[1] http://seamless.usgs.gov/website/seamless/viewer.htm
penta

Postby statto » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:48 pm

Yes of course! USGS imagery when released is free from restrictions.
statto

Postby MOJO » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:36 pm

I would like to stake claim to making the Flat Iron Building if that is OK with everyone?

Also, I know these buildings are no longer there BUT may we include the Twin Towers? I just find them very iconic and feel they create the skyline. Just a suggestion and a wish.
F-18 Hornets by Mandate - F-14 Tomcats by Choice
MOJO

Callsign: MOJO
Version: 2

Postby HHS » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:07 pm

Hey MOJO,

Thanks to skyop, they are included and available per TerraSync. But: you have to do time travel to see them! If you set your time before 09/11/2001 you can see them.
After they are dissapeared, and at the 09/11 at each year you can see the lights you can see each year as memorial.

But would be great if we could do the same with the new replacement which is currently in construction. :D
Last edited by HHS on Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby penta » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:23 pm

statto wrote:Yes of course! USGS imagery when released is free from restrictions.

Great! for a start I will claim the time warner center towers.

PS I have a lot of photos that I've taken in NYC last year when i went there for a trip. I'm planning to put them up in flickr and I intend to allow anyone to use them, on a request basis, to make textures. In the coming days I will post here a link to the album.
penta

Postby MOJO » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:54 pm

Thanks for that Heiko, I have now finished the exterior basic model but I am wondering how much detail to add to it if any at all or do I let the texture do all the detail work :?
F-18 Hornets by Mandate - F-14 Tomcats by Choice
MOJO

Callsign: MOJO
Version: 2

Postby statto » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:20 pm

I am a fan of letting the texture do most of the work. :)
statto

Next

Return to Scenery