Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Fly-In Fjords of Norway, Oct 17 [2010], 14:00 GMT

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Would you like ATC support during this event?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Yes, that would be fun
100%
No thanks, too much fuss
No votes

Total votes : 12

Fly-In Fjords of Norway, Oct 17 [2010], 14:00 GMT

Postby D-79 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:13 am

Hi everyone,

after the "Fly-In New Zealand" was such a big success last year, I now invite you to a Norwegian spin-off. We'll fly through the fjords of the award-winning Norwegian coastline next Sunday, Oct 17 at 14:00 GMT/UTC.

We'll be using amphibious/float planes, since the route is between two airports, with a stopover in a fjord:
Vigra (ENAL) or next to it in the water --> Storefjorden --> Sandane (ENSD) or next to it.
Duration: About one hour.
Distance: 80 nm.
Cruise speed: 120 kt.
Cruise altitude: 1,000-4,000 ft.

For the scenery, I suggest you use [wiki]TerraSync[/wiki].

Planes
Anything that can land on water, but preferably amphibious planes, since they can use the runways. Suggestions:
DHC-2 (de Havilland Beaver - Floats) (will be around 20 kt slower than cruise speed).
DHC-3 (de Havilland Otter - Amphibious).
DHC-6 (de Havilland Twin Otter - Floats).
PBY Catalina.
Goose
In the regarding version, all of them are amphibious. You can download them from the FG aircraft download site. For the Goose, go to the given link.

Startup
At ENSD, start up your plane on rw 25, then taxi to the apron as quickly as possible.

ATC
There will be an ATC at ENAL for take off and at ENSD for landing. If you have no experience with pilot-ATC-communication, don't worry. Please stick to these simple rules:
  • Pilots contact ATC for the following requests: startup, taxi, take-off, landing.
  • Wait and listen to the ATC. It's the ATC who tells you which runway is active and will give you instructions (take-off: cleared to startup, taxi to runway XX, line up runway XX, cleared for take-off runway XX; landing: heading, altitude, speed, cleared to land runway XX)
  • ATC has the absolute control over the runways. Never enter or land on a runways unless ATC has given permission.
  • Always read back instructions. Always give your callsign.
  • If something goes wrong, relax, we all had to learn this. If you're on the ground, stay where you are and ask. If you're in the air, keep you're heading, make sure you're high enough and then ask.
  • Enjoy.
If 10+ planes arrive at ENSD simultaneusly, it will get extremely crowded. We'll definitely need patience, since ATC will have to send us into holding patterns of some sort. You can request a runway landing or a water landing. There will be much more room for parallel water landings than for runway landings, so please accept if ATC tells you to land in the water.

Charts
ENAL Ålesund lufthavn, Vigra
ENSD Sandane Anda

FGcom is not a prerequisite, text is also fine.
Frequency for the whole trip: 118.1 (ENAL Vigra), since there is no frequency in FGcom for ENSD. According to my and jomo's FGcom, ENSD is still within range of ENAL. Fallback frequency: 122.75

No subscription necessary, just say here if you'd like to come or simply be there on time.

See you up there ;)

David
Last edited by D-79 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.
callsign: D-79
Scenery contributions: EDDM, EDDP, LOWI, ENAL and ENSD, North Sea oil platforms, taxiway signs at EDDF and EDDT
D-79

Version: GIT

Re: Fly-In Fjords of Norway, Oct 17, 14:00 GMT

Postby Lukosius » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:48 am

This reminds me a lot of that fantastic Alaska event held by yourgod back in January - one of the best FG events so far!

The timing for this event is perfect for me (late Sunday night) so you can count me in.

I will most likely fly the DHC6.

The 'Goose' might be another option for others, as that was used very successfully in the Alaska event.
Callsign: Lukosius (or Lukosiu if you only see 7 characters)
Preferred Aircraft: 777-200ER, 787, IL-96, MD-81, Citation X, B1900d, DHC6, Seneca II
Physical Location: Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
Lukosius

Callsign: Lukosiu, AVA0017
Version: 2_4

Postby snipey » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:50 pm

i think i'm going to join this
i'll be flying the goose
download:
http://ltts.crlt.indiana.edu/grn/flightgear/
snipey

Callsign: snipey

Postby Gijs » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:23 pm

Argh, I've got a very important examm the 18th :(
I will do my best to see if I can take a 2 hour break from learning to visit the event. It'd be a shame if I had to miss it!
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Omega » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:36 pm

The timing is perfect!
I will be able to come with a DHC-6, It will be another great event :D
Just a question, what will we use for navigation?

Cya everyone there.
Last edited by Omega on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The engine is the heart of an aeroplane, but the pilot is its soul.
Omega

Callsign: Star,EHAA_CT,MIA0176
IRC name: Omega

Postby redneck » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:03 pm

A little early for me, but I think I can make it. I'll be in the Goose.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby Rick Ace » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:39 pm

Sunday eh? Well since it's early.... YES :D I'll be there with a DHC-3 or a 2..... I'll decide in a bit
Rick Ace

Callsign: rickace
Version: 2.6.0

Postby D-79 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi everyone,

so it seems I won't be flying alone, that's good :)

I built a few terminal buildings and a tower for ENSD, as well as a pier for those who land in the water - which is quite common in that region. Next to the pier I placed one of VicMar's buildings, which could be Norwegian (to my eyes). There's also pier at ENAL together with another of Vic's buildings. But be warned, don't bump into the pier. At least in FG 1.9.1, this'll result in a crash. I sent most of it to Martin, who'll probably upload it before the weekend.

David

Scenery contributions: EDDM, EDDP, LOWI, ENAL and ENSD, North Sea oil platforms, taxiway signs at EDDF and EDDT
D-79

Postby Trennor_ » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:43 pm

Bit early for me but I'll try to be there in a DHC-6.
trennor - Just Another Armchair Pilot

Thanks to all who have helped in the past. One day I'll return the favour.
Trennor_

Callsign: C-TREN, CHT0004
IRC name: trennor
Version: 2016.3.1

Postby D-79 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I asked Jomo whether he could serve as ATC at the start and departure airports, and he said yes. We both thought this would be fun, since we like aircraft-ATC-interaction, but we weren't sure whether the other participants would be happy with it. So at the moment this is just an option, and to get a clearer picture of what all of us want, I created the poll.

Why an ATC?
Because in real life, there would be an ATC both at ENAL and ENSD. Because interaction with ATC is more fun than just flying around. Because we haven't done this before in an event of this sort.

What would the ATC do?
The tower would send us off in the air at ENAL and get us back down at ENSD. This would only be semi-formal. At ENAL, pilots would request taxi to the runway, then line up and wait for their "cleared for take-off". Then all planes would circle in the air, waiting for the last to take-off, then head to Storefjorden together. At ENSD, ATC would line us up and take take that we land in intervals long enough for each one to backtrack to the apron, since there is no taxiway at ENSD.

Would everyone be expected to have experience with following ATC instructions?
No. Jomo has lots of experience with inexperienced pilots, since he meets new pilots almost daily at EDDF. There would be no reason to be shy.

But maybe you still don't like the idea, then we won't do it. Cast your vote, and if you like, say what you think here.

Cheers
David
D-79

Postby yourgod » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:01 pm

Sounds like fun, and I'll try to be there in a DHC-3!

I've been contemplating hosting another event like this since they seem to be on the rare side, and I really enjoyed the Alaska event. It's just that TransGear gets most of my event powers these days. I've been silently hoping Jomo would do another tour of the Alps or something similar as I really enjoyed his last one. This is right up that ally! Thanks for planning it!
Callsign: YOURGOD, (YOURGO if you only recognize 6 characters)
TransGear Airways site: http://transgear.treborlogic.com/
FG related projects:
Planes: Douglas DC-8-73
Code: Hurricane simulation weather enhancement
yourgod

Callsign: YOURGOD

Postby Calico » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:19 am

No promises, but I may be able to make it in a DHC-2. Hopefully...

Thanks Jomo for providing ATC.

Shane
Taking an indefinite break from the Flightgear community.
Calico

Callsign: CALICO, N113DK
Version: 2

Postby D-79 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:23 am

Here are the charts for both airports:

ENAL Ålesund lufthavn, Vigra
ENSD Sandane Anda
D-79

Postby Lukosius » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:15 am

D-79 wrote:But be warned, don't bump into the pier. At least in FG 1.9.1, this'll result in a crash.

Do you mean not to touch it at all? Would a slight 'nudge' be ok?

With some of these aircraft bobbing around the water, it's sometimes hard to keep them perfectly still.
Callsign: Lukosius (or Lukosiu if you only see 7 characters)
Preferred Aircraft: 777-200ER, 787, IL-96, MD-81, Citation X, B1900d, DHC6, Seneca II
Physical Location: Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
Lukosius

Callsign: Lukosiu, AVA0017
Version: 2_4

Postby D-79 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 am

Lukosius wrote:
D-79 wrote:But be warned, don't bump into the pier. At least in FG 1.9.1, this'll result in a crash.

Do you mean not to touch it at all? Would a slight 'nudge' be ok? With some of these aircraft bobbing around the water, it's sometimes hard to keep them perfectly still.

I know, it's silly, but in 1.9.1 I only have to touch them gently to crash. That would mean it is actually a good idea to stay a bit away from them, and moor the plane there.

David
D-79

Next

Return to Multiplayer events