Board index FlightGear Development New features

FG Flier - Yes, another GUI Launcher!

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: FG Flier - Yes, another GUI Launcher!

Postby Chrison » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:06 am

Bummer wrote:
Chrison wrote:I hadn't notice that it wasn't updating properly.

Probably because you couldn't switch to that tab until you closed FlightGear, hehe. It didn't update real-time (although it should have ... in theory ...), it just dropped the entire output into there after you stopped FlightGear. Now it displays as FlightGear spits it out.

What you describe (couldn't switch tabs while FG was open) is exactly what was happening. I'll check-out the new functionality and let you know if there are any problems with it.

Thanks, again, for listening to us lowly end-users and promptly fixing problems and/or adding new stuff!

Regards,

Chris
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Postby Bummer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:49 am

Well, you still can't switch tabs once FlightGear's running, hehe. I didn't like not being able to see any errors, and the quick and dirty fix was just to force it to the Output tab when you clicked Fly ... so that's what I did. But still, while it's waiting for output from FlightGear, the tabs are stuck.
Bummer

Postby Bummer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:21 pm

There's something I think I remember, but I can't seem to find it anywhere ...

Wasn't there an option (I thought in FGRun, but maybe in the game somewhere) that would allow a type of 'look ahead' feature? As in, when you moved the stick/yoke, the view would pan or tilt slightly in the direction you were turning? It was really helpful when cruising through the Grand Canyon in an F14 XoD

Or did I just dream that or something?
Bummer

Postby i4dnf » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:41 pm

that's the "dynamic view" option in the view->cockpit view options (in the menu in fgfs)
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D
Version: GIT

Postby Bummer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:53 pm

i4dnf wrote:that's the "dynamic view" option in the view->cockpit view options (in the menu in fgfs)

Sweet, thanks! Don't know why I had such a hard time finding that again, lol. I was considering adding an option for that in FG Flier, if I can figure out how to pass the --prop argument, lol.
Bummer

Postby i4dnf » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:31 pm

should be something like:
Code: Select all
--prop:/sim/view/config/dynamic/enabled=true
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D
Version: GIT

Postby Bummer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:43 am

Aha! Close ... digging in the preferences.xml, I also found dynamic-view in /current-view. So, if anyone else needs to know:

Code: Select all
--prop:/sim/current-view/dynamic-view=true

Next on the list to find: Enable view movement due to G-force
Bummer

Postby Johan G » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:03 pm

Found the answer in this thread:
erik wrote:There are some options in the Cockpit View Options menu:

* Enable dynamic cockpit view
* Enable view movement due to G-force
* Enable Blackout and Redout due to G-force

I used the search box. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Bummer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 pm

Johan G wrote:I used the search box. :wink:

haha XoD

I tried! But I wasn't sure what to search for ... 'look ahead', 'view as you turn', 'pan with joystick' ... now it seems so obvious, lol. Anyways, I'll be adding a couple options to FG Flier in the next day or so. With any luck I'll be able to find out what argument to pass for view motion due to G-force and add that, too.
Bummer

Postby Chrison » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:22 am

Bummer wrote:
Johan G wrote:I used the search box. :wink:

haha XoD

I tried! But I wasn't sure what to search for ... 'look ahead', 'view as you turn', 'pan with joystick' ... now it seems so obvious, lol. Anyways, I'll be adding a couple options to FG Flier in the next day or so. With any luck I'll be able to find out what argument to pass for view motion due to G-force and add that, too.

Just a caution... One of the things I don't like about FGRun is that there are soooo many options it gets confusing after awhile. So, adding options is a double-edged sword... one the one hand it increases the "goodies" available through the application but, on the other hand, it can be overdone to the point where the application becomes too complex and confusing.

Just a thought...

Regards,

Chris
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Postby Bummer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:10 am

Chrison wrote:Just a caution... One of the things I don't like about FGRun is that there are soooo many options it gets confusing after awhile. So, adding options is a double-edged sword... one the one hand it increases the "goodies" available through the application but, on the other hand, it can be overdone to the point where the application becomes too complex and confusing.

Oh, indeed, which is why I'm only adding what I can without adding any more tabs or making the window bigger, lol. I'm really trying to keep it to a min, but there were a couple things I was missing ...

v0.3 on Sourceforge. Added 'Extras' option for Dynamic View, and 'Basic' option to limit the framerate.
Bummer

Postby Johan G » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:59 pm

Bummer wrote:I tried! But I wasn't sure what to search for ... 'look ahead', 'view as you turn', 'pan with joystick' ... now it seems so obvious, lol.

Figuring out what words to search for is sometimes more of an art form than a science. Maybe I got a bit lucky finding it on the first try... :wink:

Chrison wrote:...there are soooo many options it gets confusing after awhile. So, adding options is a double-edged sword... one the one hand it increases the "goodies" available through the application but, on the other hand, it can be overdone to the point where the application becomes too complex and confusing.

If they are well organized, there can be many, many options that are still easy to find. It's much harder than it seems though. :|

A totally different thing: I don't know how airports are loaded, but I can tell that FGrun seem to read the entire airports.dat into memory every time I start it (though I'm not a programmer). If possible it might be a good idea to load them into some compact database, like SQLite.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Bummer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:33 pm

Johan G wrote:A totally different thing: I don't know how airports are loaded, but I can tell that FGrun seem to read the entire airports.dat into memory every time I start it (though I'm not a programmer). If possible it might be a good idea to load them into some compact database, like SQLite.

The first time you start FG Flier, and when you click the 'Refresh' button in the Airports section, it just scans your Scenery directories for airports, and just gets airport ID and runway information. This info is saved into a Python dictionary, and pickled and written to ./fg_flier/data/airports. Once you have that ./fg_flier/data/airports file (i.e., you've started the program once), FG Flier just reads from that to get the list of airports ... but if you download more scenery, you'll have to click the 'Refresh' button to update the list. For simplicity's sake, it works just as well as an SQL database (which I had considered, actually), but without having to set up a new database, user, etc, and dealing with permissions.

Now ... I honestly have no clue how much memory it takes to store that list in a Python dictionary, but the airports file on my machine (basically with just the US scenery) is around 400kb. The program itself takes ~26MB or RAM when I first start it, then up to 39MB once I click on the 'Options' tab, then to 41MB after clicking the 'Paths' tab ... so I can't help but assume that the list needs are rather negligible compared to what it takes just for the wxWidgets. I'm curious to know how big it is for Chrison, lol.
Bummer

Postby Chrison » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:38 am

Bummer wrote:Now ... I honestly have no clue how much memory it takes to store that list in a Python dictionary, but the airports file on my machine (basically with just the US scenery) is around 400kb. The program itself takes ~26MB or RAM when I first start it, then up to 39MB once I click on the 'Options' tab, then to 41MB after clicking the 'Paths' tab ... so I can't help but assume that the list needs are rather negligible compared to what it takes just for the wxWidgets. I'm curious to know how big it is for Chrison, lol.

Probably a major chunk, but I don't know because that's something I've never done before... check to see the memory usage of a program. If you can tell me the shell command(s) to do that I'll check it out and report back here.

Regards,

Chris
Chrison

Postby Bummer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:03 am

Chrison wrote:Probably a major chunk, but I don't know because that's something I've never done before... check to see the memory usage of a program. If you can tell me the shell command(s) to do that I'll check it out and report back here.

I'm not sure what it's called on Fedora, but I just stare at the System Monitor available on Ubuntu as I click the tabs. Though, I was more wondering about the actual size of the ./fg_flier/data/airports file itself.
Bummer

PreviousNext

Return to New features