Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

787 and CRJ-200 Development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

787 and CRJ-200 Development

Postby nickyivyca » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:22 am

Since the old thread was getting old, but mostly since its name was "Working on the 787..." and it didn't say anything about CRJ-200 development, which was also contained in the thread, I give you a new thread that focuses on both of the aircraft that I'm doing full development on.

The 787 development began when I was wondering why its old FDM had STOL capabilities. I changed some values around and was angry at how the elevators spazzed [stalled]. I posted the original development thread and began working on the FDM and systems, changing things around and improving the FDM and adding a speedbrake script among other things. I also made the AP compatible, by many people's requests.

Recently I've been working more on the 3D side of things, with animations and removing the duplicate objects in the .ac file that were there to animate gear-activated spoilers without the gear-activated spoilers originally existing in the FDM. (it's hard to explain) I added multiple-segment geometry to the FDM and took advantage of this with the speedbrake script. I've recently been testing out a reverse-thrust script that is pretty basic, but also only allows activation and deactivation of reversers when the throttles are closed (less than .03). It isn't working quite yet.

For the recent 3D changes, I started up a new 787-8 set of files. These are referred to as the "development" version and are completely separate from the 8/22 release of the 787. It uses a separate FDM with the multiple geometry (787-8.xml) and its 787-8 set file, with also a completely separate set of .ac and xml cockpit and main models. Eventually, the changes in 787-8 will be merged into the main 787 version and I will begin development on the 787-9 set of files (yes the 787-9 will eventually be added!).

The release with the main and development versions can be found at this link. I've added some liveries, from the FG liveries site. I have "cheated" on many of the lights sets of files, as many of the liveries did not have this, where there is a texture that is like a light has been shined on the main livery. Since I'm not a graphics designer, I simply partially transparencised the main livery file and used that instead. It doesn't look great, but it'll work for now.

http://www.mediafire.com/?97oo77ky8lbjwkv

CRJ-200 development started right after I suggested that I base an MD-82 or 83 off of Buck's model. He or someone else suggested that instead I work on the CRJ-200, which is very closely related to the 787. Thus I started, eventually implementing dual-wing geometry and the speedbrake script on the model. I've only recently began making 3D improvements, which aren't many. I've subsurfed the wheels, which were very squarish, by one level and animated them to spin. I also split off the interior to a separate .ac and .xml. I got ahold of more liveries and had to cheat on their lights again.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dis8osp4781i6n1

Help I'm looking for:
-The liveries lights textures
-On the 787 development version, the nosegear sinks into the ground, the views are off, and the HUD in the cockpit's green stuff isn't positioned properly. How to fix...
-In the devel version when the engine gears compress I get NAN errors (those gears are disabled now).
Last edited by nickyivyca on Mon May 16, 2011 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Personal Fleet: 787-8, CRJ-200, 737-300, MD-81, DHC-3A, Beechcraft Starship
New hangar!
Curent projects: New 787, New CRJ-200, DC-9, New 777-200ER FDM
nickyivyca

Callsign: Nick, ---206
Version: 2

Re: 787 and CRJ-200 Development

Postby skyop » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:00 pm

Feel free to take one of the engine fandisks from the CRJ900 and scale it down, if that works. They're not mapped, but at least they actually have blades. ;)
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby nickyivyca » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:25 pm

I could. And feel free to use the fanblade texture from the CRJ-200 on your model.
New hangar!
nickyivyca

Postby skyop » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:27 pm

nickyivyca wrote:feel free to use the fanblade texture from the CRJ-200 on your model.

I tried, but the texture didn't align correctly. I think I'll keep the shaded material.
skyop

Postby Pilot Penguin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:53 am

Hi nickyivyca!

I'm glad that someone is finally working on those two aircraft, especially the CRJ-200.

I think I might know how to fix the way the the nosegear sinks into the ground. Try editing the model (I know that this will mean remapping the model), and move the entire front of the aircraft up a little. This should change the way the aircraft sits in the simulator, as it is my understanding flightgear simply takes the model from blender, or AC3D, etc., and just places it into the "world" created by the sim.

I will try to fiddle a little with it if I get time.

Cheers!
Pilot Penguin

P.S. Please don't hold it against me if it doesn't work, I'm not all that great with blender and I am only telling you what I have seen done in my year of monitoring the flightgear forums. :D

Edit: Turns out that I was right! Moving the nosewheel up a little bit in blender actually does fix the problem :) The only problem is that I don't have AC3D, so editing the model is a complete hassle. Every time I modify it I have to remap the model, and I am not very good at that :mrgreen: Is there anyone who has AC3D that can do this?
"Life is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get." --Forest Gump

Current Project: BAe-146
Pilot Penguin

Callsign: Pilot_P
Version: GIT

Postby skyop » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:07 am

That's really not the right way to do it, this change should be made in the FDM. :?

Also, you'll find that Blender's AC3D importers/exporters will do (almost) everything that AC3D can. ;)
skyop

Postby nickyivyca » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:45 am

The problem about changing either the model or the FDM...

Well, in the FDM, the front gear matches the gear well enough that the problem should not be as severe as it currently is. I matched it and now it should hopefully work better.

WAIT A MINUTE.............

I have discovered the problem. For some reason, the translation animations are interpolated so that it translates DOWN when the gear is not compressed, and when the gear is compressed to .506 the animation brings it to its normal starting mode, and then at compression of 1.0 it'll go up by .3. I'll experiment with having a non-interpolated animation.

I'll still need help fixing the view locations and HUD weirdness.

NASAL ERROR:

"Nasal runtime error: nil used in numeric context"

The part of the file in question is the RTO section of the autobrakes.

Code: Select all
 if (getprop("/controls/gear/autobrakes") == 6 and getprop("/velocities/groundspeed-kt") > 80) {
 #autobrakes set to level RTO
 setprop("/controls/gear/brake-parking", 1.0);
 }

The first line is line 645, the one it is bothering me about. I had another problem with the reverse thrust script, but it was some forgotten quotes around a prop name.

By the way, improvements made/tested this evening (9/24):

-Main gear 2-yasimgear setup per gear to have realistic rotations in the model, now works.
-The main wheels do not sink into the ground. I don't know about the nosegear, when I modified its location in the .ac file I messed up its spin animation.
-New textures for main wheels
-New liveries discovered a while ago. But their light textures were not compatible with the current version. So I found out how to correctly make new light textures (light template for the 787 in the CRJ-200 folder for some reason) , and the 787 liveries for lights now work. NOT in the CRJ-200 though...
New hangar!
nickyivyca

Postby Pilot Penguin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:54 am

Hi guys!

Sorry.......... I'm not exactly very skillful at these kinds of things :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Please don't kill me :lol:

Cheers!
Pilot Penguin
"Life is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get." --Forest Gump

Current Project: BAe-146
Pilot Penguin

Callsign: Pilot_P
Version: GIT

Postby nickyivyca » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:26 am

NEW 787 RELEASE!
http://www.mediafire.com/?et315be944gid7d

List of changes (all in development version, 787-8, except for liveries)

-Modified the rotation animation for the main gear. Still not perfect.
-Partially fixed nose gear ground problem.
-Cockpit view is now mostly fixed. HUD green letters still wayyyy out of place.
-Liveries added: Air Canada, United pre-merger (both by me, based off of Liam's 772ER liveries) and possibly others
-Painting guide added, with textures (not quite a paintkit yet).
-Livery makers: 2048 x 2048 is now the default texture size.

United (pre-merger)
Air Canada (I think I have improved the issue where the logo curves over the top, not sure)

EDIT: I have received reports of NAN errors on GIT version, happening with all versions of the 787. They said that it is possible that the errors are also related to the time in-flight, as I think when they used one time setting no errors were received, and when they used a different time they got the errors.

I still need to know about the weird Nasal error. If there is anyone that can solve the error, I would gladly take help from anyone who can solve the error! I really want to get autobrakes working.

I would also like it if someone could figure out why the livery at startup is Aeroflot and not Dreamliner.
New hangar!
nickyivyca

Postby skyop » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:41 am

I think the "crash on 40,000+ ft" bug is fixed. On my GIT copy, I was able to join the 40,000 club with the latest CRJ200.

skyop

Postby skyop » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:13 am

nickyivyca wrote:NASAL ERROR:

"Nasal runtime error: nil used in numeric context"

The part of the file in question is the RTO section of the autobrakes.

if (getprop("/controls/gear/autobrakes") == 6 and getprop("/velocities/groundspeed-kt") > 80) {
 #autobrakes set to level RTO
 setprop("/controls/gear/brake-parking", 1.0);
 }

The first line is line 645, the one it is bothering me about. I had another problem with the reverse thrust script, but it was some forgotten quotes around a prop name.

I think I know what's going on. It's possible that the /controls/gear/autobrakes property is not being set as an integer before the script runs. Be sure it's specified properly in your -set.xml, and if all else fails, stick a
setprop("controls/gear/autobrakes", 0);

In one of your scripts that runs on startup-only, one time.
skyop

Postby nickyivyca » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:15 am

In the set file I have:

<controls>
 <gear>
  <autobrakes>6</autobrakes>
 </gear>
</controls

I have it set to RTO mode on startup, following the 737-300's example. So it should be an integer value. Maybe I should add a value type into it, like "int" (<autobrakes type="int">)?

Development info for both in recent times:

787 I haven't done much with. I've tried fixing the Air Canada loop over the top error, but it hasn't worked quite yet. I also tried to implement mood lighting, but at least in 1.9.1, I guess it only supports 1 material animation with an emission per object.

CRJ-200 I have rebalanced the aircraft and also decreased elevator authority. I also brought in the 787's new reverse thrust script modified from the one that the 737-300 uses. I plan to add the autobrakes from the 787 once the nil error is fixed. I have also added JcHnd's liveries made for the CRJ-200, now with decent light textures. I've added a modified version of Skyop's light controller to control the lights, except sliders are used for cabin and cockpit lights.

After that above release of both aircraft, I plan to create a sample plan of what the rest of the 787 OHP will be eventually be remodeled to with the battery/APU area. I will use a little thing that I built which uses a 3-object button mapped to an orange light texture so that I can select one bit of it to show that the lights for the button are on. This can be seen on the battery switch in the development version currently. I also plan to have all of the OHP textures contained in one background image, which is used now, shown by the word ELECTRIC (I think) printed on the top of the battery and APU area.

By the way, FG is up to its corrupted scenery loading antics again, so testing may be tough.
New hangar!
nickyivyca

Postby Chrison » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:24 pm

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but I'm doing so because this problem "seems" to be happening to me only when I'm flying the CRJ-200. If I'm posting in the wrong place, please let me know and I'll go elsewhere. Anyway...

I just moved from Fedora 12 to Ubunto 10.10 (kernel 2.6.35-22 generic) because of MAJOR problems with the ATI Catalyst drivers in Fedora. Ubunto "seemed" to install without problems, and everything "seemed" to be back to normal, but then....

I'm flying the following version of the CRJ-200:

<description>Bombardier CRJ-200</description>
<author>Joshua Wilson</author>
<status>Dev 7/20/10</status>
<aircraft-version>Dev 7/20/10</aircraft-version>
<flight-model>yasim</flight-model>
<aero>CRJ-200</aero>

No matter whether I'm flying it in FG 1.9.1 or FG 2.0 the plane flies well until the METAR data changes and then, suddenly, the plane goes nuts, turns however it wants, and eventually dives into the ground. At first, I thought this might be a problem with my new flight yoke (SAITEK Pro-Flight-Yoke), so I tried it using my old joystick (Logitech Attack 3) instead. Same problem. As I said, I've tried both versions of FG and it's the same in both. This problem doesn't happen when I'm flying my other favorite aircraft, the MD-81, so I think it's something specific to the CRJ-200? I haven't tried other aircraft (yet). Also, the problem seems to happen whether or not I'm flying with the autopilot turned on.

Has anyone seen this problem happen with the CRJ-200 or, for that matter, with any other aircraft? Any suggestions on how to fix it???

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris

EDIT: This doesn't seem to be a problem with METAR after all. It's doing the same thing even if I disable real-weather-fetch. Now, I'm checking to see if it's some sort of scenery glitch. Will report back if I come up with anything.

EDIT: Nope, it's not a scenery glitch as it happened going in a totally different direction. :( It does seem to happen at about the same time (about 15 minutes into the flight, and at about FL320). Frankly, I'm stumped! :(
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Postby nickyivyca » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:32 pm

My guess is the FDM. I think that release's FDM stalled a bit too easily, and you're seeing a spin as you climb, which definitely does result in those types of results. The next release should have the issue fixed.
New hangar!
nickyivyca

Postby Chrison » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:28 pm

nickyivyca wrote:My guess is the FDM. I think that release's FDM stalled a bit too easily, and you're seeing a spin as you climb, which definitely does result in those types of results. The next release should have the issue fixed.

Hmmm.... I think you're right. I'm managing to fly it but I have had to really reduce the climb rate (500 fpm or less) once I get above FL300. I'm wondering.... what is the max altitude for the CRJ-200 and am I exceeding that???

Anyway, it's working if I fly VERY carefully above FL300.

Thanks for the tip!

Regards,

Chris

BTW, do you have any idea when the next release will happen? Thanks, again!
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Next

Return to Aircraft