Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

eurofighter typhoon

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: EFA Typhoon - Upper Left Panel

Postby almursi » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Algernon wrote:Okay, so do we put in that switch between the HUD and the MIDS power button, or do we just leave people to use the 'h' key?

Hi, on hud2.xml I placed:
Code: Select all
                <enable-target-markers>true</enable-target-markers>

This option enable targets on hud. The button would be in a sensitive site (small), you can put a single dot of light indicates that the hud is active (via the key "h"), but I think there's no need (later if we get bored a lot :), we can make the animation of the button). The tarjet-markets should be handled separately. I think the best is to use one of the top buttons still missing in the mids, which I believe they play that role. There is a menu redesign hud, if I explain how this works so we'll test different configurations and see how they are. In my case I have the problem that hardly see the digits of course, and is something that bothers me, so do not be superfluous to make them larger and visible.

Only disabling the radar is much lighter in multiplay, but the "bore sign" is funny: we only need to add a little information about the model above (in fact it is a function that holds the Typhoon). The way I disabled it often fails when you engage it again, so it will take to create a function to reset correctly. Make menus to change the status of variables is extremely simple, I've seen to create the menu for flashes, so we can have the switch provisionally there until we are clear where to put it (or until this is less hidden).

In terms of the cockpit, though, basically I'll provide electrical outputs for all of those things, with buttons on the panel unless otherwise stated somewhere in this thread, and that sets us up for the future. So there are a couple of places that we can alter the buttons which, in real life, do things that just wouldn't matter in FG, and change them to convenient functions (like Nav1 autopilot mode), is that okay?

Whenever a thing is what we would do, and quite another to what we can do :mrgreen:. I think it's great that you're treating to raise the electrical system.

Regards.
almursi

Callsign: EC-ALM
Version: Git

QNaN error with speedbrake

Postby almursi » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:41 am

Hi, in my Git branch I put solution for QNaN errors in 2.0:

File typhoon2-set.xml (present lines 765-786, on previos versions need to search):
      <key n="78">
        <name>N</name>
        <desc>Extend Speedbrakes</desc>
        <binding>
          <command>property-adjust</command>
          <property>/controls/flight/speedbrake</property>
          <step type="double">0.2</step>
          <min type="double">0</min>
          <max type="double">1</max>
        </binding>
      </key>
      <key n="110">
        <name>n</name>
        <desc>Retract Speedbrakes</desc>
        <binding>
          <command>property-adjust</command>
          <property>/controls/flight/speedbrake</property>
          <step type="double">-0.2</step><!-- with +.33 and -.2 do QNAN -->
          <min type="double">0</min>
          <max type="double">1</max>
        </binding>
      </key>

Regards.
almursi

Re: eurofighter typhoon

Postby almursi » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:31 am

Hi, If someone wants to test the changes in the FDM, here is the link. Review is not yet final 1.4.2, missing the contributions of Algernon on autopilot, which seem very interesting, but probably will not be ready until next week.

DivShare File - etyphoon_carrier_1_4_2.zip

Edited: A typo, in Spain it's C-16.

Regards.
almursi

Postby Algernon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:39 am

Indeed indeed. I hope to finish the autopilot code soon, and then I must begin some exhaustive testing and tweaking as, sadly, my current computer is not graphically powerful enough to achieve frame rates over 15 fbs, and I need to borrow a friends to ensure the aircraft will behave the same way when running on a decent machine.

Almursi, I am not at my own computer at the moment, I will email you as soon as I get to my office. If there are other experienced aircraft developers reading this, I do need some help before I can complete the autopilot and the panel which for the most part controls is - please see the threads 'night texture problem!' and 'Heading Modes Inoperable' and let me know of any insight you can offer - will be extremely grateful!
Algernon
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Callsign: G-ALGY
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby almursi » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi Algernon,

On cockpit.xml I found a way to make available ASI indicators (distance and heading) in both versions (for the moment when we ended the autopilot again we may redo):

Under (4) wpt:
    <!--On 2.0, and 1.9.1 with fine configuración of gps -->
    <property>instrumentation/gps/wp/wp[1]/distance-nm</property>
    <!--Only 1.9.1: -->
    <!--property>autopilot/route-manager/wp/dist</property-->

Under (3) stbasi:
    <!--On 2.0: -->
    <!--property>instrumentation/gps/wp/leg-true-course-deg</property-->
    <!--On 1.9.1/2.0 on route manager -->
    <property>autopilot/settings/true-heading-deg</property>

I have to look at the howto, and when I can already tell you about it http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Ho ... _autopilot. Regards.
almursi

Postby El Flauta » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:06 pm

I just got a 54 G's turn :o

I fly in FlightGear with a joystick. The Typhoon controls feels too-much-so-very-extremly sensitive...
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby StuartC » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:16 pm

They are sensitive.

The Flight Gear FDM doesnt know about the Aircrafts computer & software in real life that keeps things in check. Thats not factored in yet.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby Algernon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:40 pm

Stuart's right, it's an issue we're aware of and a solution is planned, though it's probably going to be a bit of a challenge to code so you may have to wait a little while.

And anyway, some of us like it flying like that, hehe!! ;)
Algernon
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Postby El Flauta » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:43 pm

However, in aircrafts like the F16, that issue is pretty controlled; it feels like a fly-by-wire. It could be a good reference...
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby Algernon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:51 pm

Cool, thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out today!
Algernon
Algernon

Postby Algernon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:14 pm

Here's a thought I've been having for a while, just to throw into the pot.

The Typhoon is obviously built to be modular, as this is desirable when you are marketing the aircraft as aggressively as EFA are. Different services in different nations can draw up their own spec list, and choose the systems which make it into their aircraft. FlightGear already works in a modular fashion - you code an instrument, and link to it from the Typhoon-set.xml, and you're away. Wouldn't it be interesting if people could make custom avionics, not necessarily packaged with the aircraft, to then "add in" to their preference. This would mean the size and complexity of the basic aircraft release would stay low, but interested parties could choose to upgrade to better systems, while people with less powerful computers can keep their performance up by only having the avionics they want.

The reason I mention it now is that my Upper Left Panel (almursi, do you know what it's called in real life?) model is pretty sizeable in terms of kilobytes (over 600), which to me sounds a little large for just one bit of the cockpit. I hope it will be a one off, because it involves static buttons with text that could not easily be done with textures, so hopefully not a major problem, but I know almursi thinks some of the radar scripts are slowing down the machine - maybe more complex radars could be a modular option instead of included with the base aircraft package?

What do you think?
Algernon
Algernon

Postby Algernon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:21 pm

Oh, and while I'm taking a break from avionics to do forum posts, I also made a few quick changes to the Wiki page: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Eu ... er_Typhoon

I thought it would be worthwhile to start on a Flight Manual for instructions on using the many advanced features in the Eurofighter (both under development and planned). I love writing Wikis, so I'd be happy to do this and also keep the main Wiki page updated.

Sorry for three posts in a row, by the way.
Algernon
Algernon

Postby Algernon » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:45 pm

I've run into a bit of a dilemma.

As almursi pointed out to me, my rewrite of the Typhoon's autopilot doesn't work very well on Version 2.0 or previous - my code relies on some features only available in GIT. The problem is, I have tried for hours to make it work using 2.0-friendly controllers only, and I'm damned if I can do it. Furthermore, this problem is going to resurface with the Flight Control System, which I was going to suggest I tackled next, as I'm learning a lot about what PID controllers and filters can do now. I think it'll be extremely difficult to make that backwards-compatible with 2.0 or previous FlightGears.

I'm guessing there's a way Nasal can find out which version is being used, could it also somehow tell FG which autopilot file to use at runtime (unrecognised controller tags in the GIT Autopilot file make it non-functional in V2.0). That at least would be a workaround to make it backwards compatible. Alternatively, we wait for the new version to come out before the AP will be properly functional - probably not so bad a thing, especially in light of the FCS also being necessary before the aircraft is in any way realistic!

almursi, your thoughts on this would be good, as of course would anybody else's.

Cheers :D
Algernon
Algernon

Postby almursi » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:04 am

Hi Algernon, although this is a bit more complicated to maintain, one option is to have two versions of the autopilot, that we load across different file-set. I think it's a way to preserve compatibility with earlier versions. I am among those who would like a version compatible with 1.9.1. Regards.
almursi

Postby Algernon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:20 am

Cool, I know there are quite a few people who also want to retain 1.9 compatibility, and if it can be done, then lets do it. Some nice modes do work already, the others hopefully somebody will look at the code and possibly spot where I'm going wrong. I'll try and upload the file at some point tonight in case anyone is interested. :)
Algernon
Algernon

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft