Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Why is FGrun and Atlas not bundled with FGFS?!

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Why is FGrun and Atlas not bundled with FGFS?!

Postby Farhad » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:04 am

Hi,

I am a noob at FG, but so far I absolutely love it. There is one thing which absolutely baffles me: why does FGFS not come bundled with FGrun nad Atlas?! They are both a royal pain in the a.. to install (I still have not succeeded) and they would be such a plus. I really do like the CLI and I use it everyday, but compiling FGrun, installing Atlas and starting it all each time from the CLI is a *MAJOR* turn off for me, even though I am otherwise a hardcore GNU/Linux aficionado.

My distro is Ubuntu 10.04 which currently features FGFS 1.9.1

Cheers,

FG
Farhad

Re: Why is FGrun and Atlas not bundled with FGFS?!

Postby SkyWlf77 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:10 am

I understand where you are coming from (although FGRun does come with the Windows package). Atlas has been a source of constant pain and mental anguish on my part - so much so that I finally gave up on it. That is one area that I do not look forward to when I switch to Linux in a bit - compiling and getting it all to work :(

Best of luck and hopefully someone here will help you out in getting them going!

-Jason
SkyWlf77

Callsign: SkyWlf77
Version: 2

Postby Farhad » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:37 pm

SkyWlf77 wrote:although FGRun does come with the Windows package

Yes, and I believe the same is true for Mac OSX. So we have this amazing situation were Flight Gear is developed primarily on GNU/Linux, but its only OSX and Windows which get the convenient package.

Now for a corporation like Google which is 99.9% based on Linux to roll out Gmail Chat for Linux 22 months after the others get it is bad enough, but to have the free software community doing the same thing with a GPLed product is just outright bizarre. I can't think of any other application for which this would be true :(
Farhad

Postby Hooray » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:40 pm

it's actually fairly typical for Linux distributions to use package managers for this, and usually you would not have one huge package but instead a bunch of smaller ones that work together. In other words, why can't you simply install an fgrun package after fgfs installation??
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby SkyWlf77 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:45 pm

Hooray wrote:In other words, why can't you simply install an fgrun package after fgfs installation??

Hi, Hooray...

In his original posting he writes this (that answers your question):

Farhad wrote:They are both a royal pain in the a.. to install (I still have not succeeded)

Evidently, he has been unable to get either FGRun or Atlas to install properly and work. Had this been an entire package (like Windows and Mac are) that installed everything at once, this likely wouldn't be a problem.

-Jason
SkyWlf77

Callsign: SkyWlf77
Version: 2

Postby Farhad » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:58 am

Actually, there is a deb package in Ubuntu for Atlas (fgfs-atlas), but once installed it cannot find the proper directories and there are also permission issues. No package for FGrun at all. You are supposed to compile it, but dependencies are not met. And, of course, no script to smoothly make these three applications run together.
Farhad

Return to The FlightGear project