Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Turkish FlightGear users?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Turkish FlightGear users?

Postby Ozgur » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:00 pm

*shrug* Anyone is aware of any Turkish user in FlightGear? I'm the sole Turkish to say something about FlightGear,but also i'm in forking roads feeling. I really want to promote FlightGear, and i just finished some huge amount of personal work so i'm free almost for a month...What i'm considering is to start translating the English wiki but more important, user guide. Most virtual flyers in Turkey prefers MSFS but on the other side, general profile is always open to the new things...So, the issue is more "marketing" (as i mentioned in some other post).I'm thinking to contact Linux guys which are becoming powerful everyday, also with the support of The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK). This is the probably the biggest resource for Linux in Turkey. So,i'm thinking to contact with them in order to at least mention FlightGear and show them some action and provide them some promotional stuff in order to catch some place in some of their online publications...I don't know if anyone managed to do something like this on a country basis...And what paths should i follow? I'm not gonna say if it worth the effort, sure it does...So, opinions...Also, i just find one Turkish user on the forum, and trying to contact him, referring to this post.
N499H
Ozgur

Callsign: N499H, TR-49

Re: Turkish FlightGear users?

Postby tkalfaoglu » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:46 am

Hi there.. I am Turkish too, and I use FG from time to time - - I find it to be a great simulation!
I doubt there is too much text to be translated, so it should not be too difficult to do, right?

-turgut
tkalfaoglu

Postby Ozgur » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Nice to see someone Turkish here! My proposal is to start with the existing user manual and start promoting through Turkish linux forums and maybe magazines. I believe TUBITAK might be interested in FG, besides it is GPL, i hope aviation and avionics developers or hobbyists will appreciate the simulator. Also, mechatronic students or maybe civil aviation authorities such as Turkkusu might be interested...So to go for these kinds of acts, we should provide at least the basic manual in Turkish. And i don't know if there are chances of changing the GUI language of FG...Maybe first we can translate the FGRun interface initially to provide a more user friendly GUI to provide the new user a friendly environment. And honestly when i recall my first attempt to fly flightgear, with a C172 at KSFO, resulting on few ground rolls, veering of due to beautifully simulated propeller effect etc. So, it is most likely to have a solid quick start in Turkish, so that people can at least get airborne. Also, the issue of support in Turkish is an important topic. I do believe, no matter how beautiful FG (or any other software is) a user will be quiet disappointed and will be likely to uninstall-remove software. So, for these reasons, i do believe, it would be a nice idea to start with a qucik start manual and to contact and depending on interest and new Turkish users, we might improve the translations...(Or am i dreaming too much?I'm living abroad for a long while :shock: :roll:

Edit: I did a small search for translations of FGRun an it looks like they are based on gettext for GNU translations...Relevant info here. I should do some further reading regarding to GUI translations...
N499H
Ozgur

Postby Ozgur » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:58 pm

Well, fyi, i sent few e-mails to some linux groups and i gave the quick start manual a "quick" start...Well, a 4P of marketing is required...Product (thanks god, we have that one), Price (Free!), Place (yep, that's what we are trying), Promotion (Support from the localized linux initiatives)...I'll report soon...Dear Turgut, are you aware of any other Turkish user or they're likely to stuck to MSFS? Even i was watching virtual flight "sessions" on a TV channel that focuses on aviation :shock: ...
I'll report back as soon as i can get a reply from Linux lists...

EDIT: I received very quick reply, from a gentleman who's actively involved in simulator development and maintenance! I'm also sending him the link to this forum...
N499H
Ozgur

Postby MoonStar » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:54 am

Hi!
That makes feel good to see Turkish here, well actually i am new at linux, FG and that forum too. I am using linux just for about 5 mounths but i dont think i will turn back to windows again. And i enjoy FG too. I see you want to translate it to Turkish. Well promoting FG is a great idea! because most people who tried linux and turned back to windows says linux is only a simple os that you cannot find anything enjoyable. If you ask for me, i used linux for my programing work, but then it made me forget windows. I like programing and i like changing aircraft with commands, and editing the source code too. but we have to accept that many people hate that. They just want a simple user interface. Soo i think making a quick start will be more important for FG. I will be in contact about that and i will be gratefull if i can help.
-Muaz
MoonStar

Postby Ozgur » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi MoonStar, welcome to FlightGear forum and to the issue we are in!

MoonStar wrote:I like programing and i like changing aircraft with commands, and editing the source code too. but we have to accept that many people hate that. They just want a simple user interface. Soo i think making a quick start will be more important for FG.

Absolutely! Since you are somehow familiar with FlightGear, you know up to which extend it is flexible (infinite?)! The good thing is that, FlightGear is distributed not only for linux, it's available and compatible in many operating systems, including Mac and Win32 (As well as win64). Also for Win** versions, there's an application called FGRun, which handles the painful (for me) typing. I think also for linux there are attempts or established developments for a simpler front end "launchers". For linux please see thread. And it is still in active development.
Assuming the majority of Turkish users are into Win**, followed by Linux, and maybe very small part as Mac(?), we don't have problem to obtain a base for "quick starting". The initial idea is to start to translate the quick start manual to Turkish with the English interface. I think it is quiet straightforward to install, run and enjoy some flight in most of the hardware. The FlightGear manual is quiet huge, (getstart.pdf 218 pages, fschool.pdf around 100). For me, one of the most important thing is to decrease the "failure" rate of the user in the very first use. After taking off for the first time, i think it'll be more likely a user will keep using or like the simulation. This was the personal users. For the academics, i'm quiet sure, they heard about it but maybe not so interested...
Finally,i'm thinking to open a small e-mail group in order not to keep the FG forum busy and keep communicating in Turkish :) Please comment if what i'm thinking is ok or not...I don't know if what i propose makes sense...
Again, welcome to FlightGear forums!
Selamlar!
Edit: FlightGear Turkiye mailing list on Google
N499H
Ozgur

Return to The FlightGear project