Board index FlightGear Development New features

Simple FG GUI front-end for Linux

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Simple FG GUI front-end for Linux

Postby erobo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:17 pm

Brandano wrote:...if you use the download_and_compile.sh scripts, to get the resulting Flightgear environment to work you should tell Fgo! that the fgfs executable actually is run_fgfs.sh . This will set all the necessary env variables and pass all command line parameters. The same goes for terrasync etc.

Hi Brandano,
thank you for the info . I will update the documentation.

Regards,
Robert
erobo

Postby erobo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:30 pm

FokkerCharlie wrote:...One little extra that you might consider putting in- a Terrasync scenery prefetch like FGR has?

Hi Charlie,
good idea! The bad news is that unfortunately I will not put this feature in the next release. New fgo should be ready within weeks from now, and I'm not planning to add new features to it. It is time to hunt bugs, or update translations for me now. But I will put your request into my TODO list for version 1.4.0.

Thank you for suggestion,
Robert
erobo

Postby Brandano » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Have you considered porting the code over to wxPython? I know that it adds a lot of weight to the executable, but it works nicely cross-platform and looks good. And is also easier to expand as needed.
Brandano

Postby erobo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Brandano wrote:Have you considered porting the code over to wxPython?

Yes, some time ago I did some testing wit wxPython. However, I think that for such small application as fgo, tkinter suits just fine. I know, it lacks some functionality that wxPython have, and its retro-like appearance may not appeal to everybody (however, I like it :) ), but (at least on my machine) tkinter just feels lighter. It uses less amount of RAM, and GUI feels more responsive. That is why I will probably stick with it.

Regards,
Robert
erobo

Postby Quadunit404 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:23 am

I have it working. The MASSIVE frame rate improvement made my jaw drop as now it's practically perfect. Now... how do I get online using Fgo?
Quadunit404

Postby chris_blues » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:41 pm

What do you mean? If you mean Multiplayer-Mode, just enable/uncomment (remove the #-symbol) the corresponding line in FGo!'s command-line-window... and input a valid MP-Server near you. valid entries are listed here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Multiplayer

...don't forget to enable callsign= as well :)

This is what it looks like in my setup... :
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby Quadunit404 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:02 pm

Oh of course, why didn't I think of that? :wink:
Quadunit404

Postby erobo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:51 am

Hello again,

I'm pleased to announce that new version of FGo (1.3.0) is ready to download at its offitial website.

It incorporates many improvements and fixes, the most important are:
  • Application data is now separated from the program itself. All data is now stored in .fgo folder in user's home directory.
  • METAR widget added. You can check weather report for selected airport before running FG.
  • It's now possible for airport list to display installed airports only. Appropriate controls have been added to Menu ==> Settings.
  • FGo can now be run from outside its main directory. Symbolic link to fgo file, or command like e.g. "python ~/fgo_main_folder/fgo" can now be used to launch the program from any location.
  • Information about runways is now taken from ~/.fgo/apt database, not from scenery itself even if airport data source is set to "Scenery". Apparently, FlightGear is not reading threshold information from scenery even if property: /sim/paths/use-custom-scenery-data is set to true.
  • French translation has been added (thanks to Olivier Faivre).

I would like to thank all translators for their hard work with this release of FGo. Thanks to them, application's documentation in now available also in other languages than default English. You can access it in Menu ==> Help ==> Help. Please take a note that not all translations are finished yet. Currently only German, Spanish, and Polish translations are completed. Others will be updated when ready.

Important notes if you are upgrading from earlier version.
This release of fgo incorporates major changes to program directory structure. That means, unfortunately, that it can't be installed over existing copy of the application, it should be installed in new directory instead. If you would like to install new FGo with all your config files preserved, I propose the following procedure:
  • Unpack content of new package to different folder than previous version.
  • Run it and close the application without setting or saving anything. FGo will create in your home directory a new, hidden folder called .fgo.
  • Copy all config files (that is file named config, and any file with .fgo extention) from data folder of your old copy of the application to this newly created .fgo directory. Do not copy apt file, as its data structure had been changed. FGo will automatically generate this file when you run it again.
After complying these steps, you should end up with a new copy of FGo, ready to go with your old configuration included. Old version of the program can now be safely removed.

Hope you will like the new features. Any comments are welcome.

Thank you,
Robert
Last edited by erobo on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
erobo

Postby chris_blues » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:25 am

Tadaa! Here it comes! 8)

Great work!
chris_blues
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues

Postby erobo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:02 pm

A quick update:
Version 1.3.1 has been released. It fixes quite serious bug preventing to run FGo if the system language is not supported by the program. This is the only change compared to the previous version.

Sorry if you had problems running the program because of that bug.
erobo

Postby bishb25 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:51 am

I Tried FGo tonight (v.1.3.1) and I like it, but the only problem I have with it is I can't start terrasync.

[benjamin@localhost fgo]$ ./fgo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting TerraSync with following command:
/usr/bin/terrasync -p 5505 -S -d /home/benjmain/.fgfs/TerraSync
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Return code = -2

================================================================================

Starting /usr/bin/fgfs with following options:
--atlas=socket,out,5,localhost,5505,udp
--aircraft=777-200ER
--airport=KPIT
--fg-root=/usr/share/games/FlightGear/data
--fg-scenery=/home/benjamin/.fgfs/TerraSync:/usr/share/games/FlightGear/data/Scenery
--runway=10R
--multiplay=out,10,mpserver05.flightgear.org,5000
--multiplay=in,10,(my_ip_here),5000
--generic=socket,out,10,localhost,16661,udp,fgcom
--callsign=cncman
--enable-real-weather-fetch
--timeofday=noon
--geometry=1280x1024
--bpp=32
--texture-filtering=16
--prop:/sim/ai-traffic/enabled=false
--prop:/sim/traffic-manager/enabled=false
--prop:/sim/atc/enabled=false
--control=joystick
--enable-random-objects
--enable-enhanced-lighting
--enable-distance-attenuation
--enable-ai-models
--nav1=108.7

Terrasync works with FGRUN so I took all of my directory and port settings from there. FlightGear will start and run fine using FGo with these settings. Everything else works; multiplayer, festival, and FGCom. So I know my network is good.
Callsign: cncman
"The only thing smart about me... I know where to find the answers." I think?
bishb25

Postby erobo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:26 am

bishb25 wrote:I Tried FGo tonight (v.1.3.1) and I like it, but the only problem I have with it is I can't start terrasync.

Hi bishb25, please double check whether the TerraSync scenery directory is not write protected. I think this may be the case here.
erobo

Postby bishb25 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:53 am

:idea: One of these things is not like the other
/usr/bin/terrasync -p 5505 -S -d /home/benjmain/.fgfs/TerraSync

--fg-scenery=/home/benjamin/.fgfs/TerraSync

:oops: Boy do I feel silly! I miss-spelled my own name! :oops:

TerraSync works from FGo now.
"The only thing smart about me... I know where to find the answers." I think?
bishb25

Postby hamster » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:57 pm

Hello everybody!

This project is now older than 1 year, and it seems, that people flock to it. So I wonder, why there has not been any attempt, to create official packages for popular distributions.
Sure, the installation process is as easy as it can be, but although I think it would help the project a lot to find new supporters. If you search in repositories for the keyword flightgear, they will only find (and only if they are lucky) fgrun as a launcher. Being placed there, with the right keywords (i.e. lightweight), many would prefer FGo to fgrun I think.
Another advantage would be the automatical update.

I am just about to finish a package for Arch Linux of FGo. Therefore I had to move all the files to the /usr tree, which has been quite easy, due to your good, flexible programming style. But I had to change some things in the help pages and docs about location of files etc., so I thought I would better ask you, before putting it in the UserRepository. If you'd like, I would send you the modified version.
Also I have only been able to modify the english and german help files, so I would need help for possible changes in the others.

This GUI is really like a little gem, I found, after about a year of consoletyping :D
hamster

Callsign: hamster
Version: Git

Postby erobo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi hamster,
... So I wonder, why there has not been any attempt, to create official packages for popular distributions.

Actually it was... Chris10 has packaged FGo (along with other FG related software) for Debian, and it now awaits to be included in the official repositories.

I am just about to finish a package for Arch Linux of FGo. Therefore I had to move all the files to the /usr tree, which has been quite easy, due to your good, flexible programming style. But I had to change some things in the help pages and docs about location of files etc., so I thought I would better ask you, before putting it in the UserRepository. If you'd like, I would send you the modified version.

That is a great news! :) If you have any questions regarding packaging FGo, you can just PM me, or write me a mail. I will be happy to provide any help I can.

Also I have only been able to modify the english and german help files, so I would need help for possible changes in the others.

In messages.po file for appropriate translation you are likely to find a mail address to particular translator, so you can contact each of them personally (in case of Polish translation, you can contact me).

Regards,
Robert
erobo

PreviousNext

Return to New features