Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Is FGTracker Broke???

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Is FGTracker Broke???

Postby AndersG » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:57 pm

Vodoun da Vinci wrote:I take it there is no easy way of letting the maintainers know when their server needed to be reset so I thought maybe some activity on the forum might serve as a heads up and generate some discussion/information about it.

I'd say the #flightgear channel at irc.flightgear.org is the best place to ask. I can count at least 7 admins online there currently and that even though one or two of the regulars are not connected at the moment.

/Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby Vodoun da Vinci » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:52 am

I appreciate the heads up...unfortunately I am not fluent in IRC. I currently frequent 11 different discussion forums and I'm used to communicating via the official forums. I wonder if it would be possible for someone with IRC fluency and the requisite time and inclination to tell the various servers maintainers that their servers aren't...er, serving properly? :oops:

Apparently not even the MP server maintainers come here anymore to see if there are issues or if the servers are being tracked or serving the FGFS MP community anymore. :shock: :? :(

No matter, really. I'm more interested in flying and whether or not the tracker is tracking or the server is serving is beyond me. :D

Seems as if FGFS MP is so far down the list of priorities that even the server maintainers are not concerned about what is happening...and that's a shame.

Thanks again for the heads up, Anders.

VooDoo
FGFS version 2.4.0 on Windows 7
Primarily Flying Warbirds, Jet and Prop - Visit: http://www.fguk.eu
VooDoo's FGFS/FGUK Movies!: http://www.youtube.com/user/VooDoodaVinci?feature=mhee
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
A. Einstein
Vodoun da Vinci
Retired

Postby Chrison » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:29 am

Vodoun da Vinci wrote:Seems as if FGFS MP is so far down the list of priorities that even the server maintainers are not concerned about what is happening...and that's a shame.
VooDoo

Based on my experience in communicating with the mpserver maintainers, I'd have to agree with you on that, Voodoo. Most maintainers didn't bother responding to my message (sent to some via the forum and to others via e-mail), and those who did respond basically said, "If you have a problem with the MP environment, don't use it."

And, yes, it truly is a shame.

Regards,

Chris
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Postby AndersG » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Chrison wrote:Based on my experience in communicating with the mpserver maintainers, I'd have to agree with you on that, Voodoo. Most maintainers didn't bother responding to my message (sent to some via the forum and to others via e-mail), and those who did respond basically said, "If you have a problem with the MP environment, don't use it."

Well, what you ask and how you ask might influence the likelyhood of receiving a response.

As an aside, this may be the official FG webforum but it is not the singular channel of communication for FG related issues official or not.
To be frank I fully understand people choosing not to follow this forum because it is a terrible time sink. If I didn't have two hours of daily commute time to waste I too had probably left by now.

/Anders
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby Chrison » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:21 pm

AndersG wrote:
Chrison wrote:Based on my experience in communicating with the mpserver maintainers, I'd have to agree with you on that, Voodoo. Most maintainers didn't bother responding to my message (sent to some via the forum and to others via e-mail), and those who did respond basically said, "If you have a problem with the MP environment, don't use it."

Well, what you ask and how you ask might influence the likelyhood of receiving a response.

True. I thought my inquiry was polite and respectful but, of course, we all interpret things differently so perhaps some of those who didn't respond thought otherwise. Let's just say that some of the responses I got were less "friendly" than the inquiry... by a mile. Anyway, that's much water under many bridges.

AndersG wrote:As an aside, this may be the official FG webforum but it is not the singular channel of communication for FG related issues official or not.

And, perhaps, that's part of the problem? This *is* no "singular" channel for communicating issues to mpmaintainers, so folks wanting to do so don't know how to do it, choose the wrong channel, etc. That's why I (again) suggest having some sort of "maintainer@mpserverXX.flightgear.org" email address (the "maintainer" could also be "help" or "admin" or something descriptive like that). That's common practice (although not universal) on the internet, and I believe it would be helpful here.

AndersG wrote:To be frank I fully understand people choosing not to follow this forum because it is a terrible time sink. If I didn't have two hours of daily commute time to waste I too had probably left by now.

Agreed. Keeping up with the Forum was beginning to consume most of my free time, so I decided I'd rather spend my time flying FG rather than talking about it. :wink:

Anyway, we're way off-topic now, and it does seem that the mpservers are now (slowly) reconnecting to the tracker, so I'm going back to the cockpit.

Happy flying!

Regards,

Chris
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Previous

Return to Multiplayer