Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Compiling recent FlightGear GIT devel version on OSX

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Re: Compiling recent FlightGear GIT devel version on OSX

Postby gral » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:10 am

zakalawe wrote:Just FYI, for the Mac Hudson builder, I built OSG and PLIB in 32-bit mode (-arch i386), and avoided such issues. Given the inevitable bits of Carbon in PLIB, and the non-existence of those headers in 64-bit land, it seemed the easiest option - it's not like FGFS needs to be a 64-bit process, for the moment.

And whats about this patch?
http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear- ... 24538.html

Cheers -gral
gral

Callsign: HB-GRAL
Version: GIT

Postby fbhenry » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:12 am

zakalawe wrote:Just FYI, for the Mac Hudson builder, I built OSG and PLIB in 32-bit mode (-arch i386), and avoided such issues. Given the inevitable bits of Carbon in PLIB, and the non-existence of those headers in 64-bit land, it seemed the easiest option - it's not like FGFS needs to be a 64-bit process, for the moment.

Thanks for this tip. I've done:

Code: Select all
nestor:src fbhjr$  export CC="gcc -arch i386" && export CXX="g++ -arch i386"

For OSG, I did:

nestor:src fbhjr$ cmake ../OpenSceneGraph -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=i386

So plib and OSG are compiled cleanly. SimGear and FlightGear as well, with no patched or edited Makefile.

Again, thank you all for the comments and assistance.

Cheers,

Fred
fbhenry

Callsign: ajax
Version: git

Postby gral » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:13 pm

Just in case someone misses add-on 'FGCom' with recent FlightGear GIT version on OSX: I expanded the wiki part about fgcom and osx a bit with a 'how to' compile and install FGCom from (patched!) source and with a changed Makefile. Works fine here. Hope that someone builds a small binary once with this ? ;-)

Edit: I removed the tutorial because it is out of date.
Last edited by gral on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gral

Postby jack » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:29 am

I have a question. Why can't one person build the binaries for GIT on OS X, and then distribute them in a package to those who'd like to use GIT? What is the reason for requiring each person to risk crashing their computer when you could simply offer a single download that could only benefit for everybody? Having GIT would make my development MUCH easier, but I do not wish to risk crashing my new $2800 iMac, and I'm sure everybody can agree on that. Please take the time to realize what I am asking. Thank you for your consideration.
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1

Postby gral » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:36 pm

jackmermod wrote:I have a question. Why can't one person build the binaries for GIT on OS X, and then distribute them in a package to those who'd like to use GIT? What is the reason for requiring each person to risk crashing their computer when you could simply offer a single download that could only benefit for everybody? Having GIT would make my development MUCH easier, but I do not wish to risk crashing my new $2800 iMac, and I'm sure everybody can agree on that. Please take the time to realize what I am asking. Thank you for your consideration.

Hi jackmermod
There are some plans to distribute snapshots of recent GIT code as binaries for OSX. EDIT: see recent postings of Tat
Cheers, gral
Last edited by gral on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gral

Postby tat » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi there,

Today, I built fgfs on GIT for 64 bit Mac OS X, and it seems working fine so far, so a binary snapshot will be released via macflightgear web site in a few days if everything goes well on 64bit/32bit/ppc Macs. So be patient, please.

FYI,
You can build fgfs for x86_64 on Mac OS X by:
- configuring PLIB with --enable-pw=no --enable-sl=no
- configuring FG & SG with --with-cocoa-framework
- commenting out the layout-test related lines (and get rid of -lplibpw) from src/GUI/Makefile.am

Best

Tat
tat

Callsign: tat

Postby fbhenry » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:43 pm

tat wrote:You can build fgfs for x86_64 on Mac OS X by:
- configuring PLIB with --enable-pw=no --enable-sl=no
- configuring FG & SG with --with-cocoa-framework
- commenting out the layout-test related lines (and get rid of -lplibpw) from src/GUI/Makefile.am

Configuring SimGear (latest git pull) with option --with-cocoa-framework doesn't seem to work:
nestor:simgear fbhjr$ ./configure --with-cocoa-framework
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-cocoa-framework

Did I mistype the option or am I missing a patch? Or does only flightgear configure take that option?

Thanks!

Fred
fbhenry

Callsign: ajax
Version: git

Postby Jester » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:01 pm

jackmermod wrote:Having GIT would make my development MUCH easier, but I do not wish to risk crashing my new $2800 iMac

Is Mac really such a bad system that you can crash and ruin it by compiling software (even if unsuccessful)? Wow, I'm glad I don't own a mac... :roll:
Jester

Callsign: BA996,Rescue1
IRC name: Jester01

Postby tat » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:50 am

Fred,

Oops, mistake is on my side.
You don't need --with-cocoa-framework for SG. only FG needs it.

Tat

fbhenry wrote:Configuring SimGear (latest git pull) with option --with-cocoa-framework doesn't seem to work:
nestor:simgear fbhjr$ ./configure --with-cocoa-framework
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-cocoa-framework

Tat Nishioka
FlightGear Mac OS X Project
http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net
tat

Callsign: tat

Postby simbabeat » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:12 am

jackmermod wrote:I have a question. Why can't one person build the binaries for GIT on OS X, and then distribute them in a package to those who'd like to use GIT? What is the reason for requiring each person to risk crashing their computer when you could simply offer a single download that could only benefit for everybody? Having GIT would make my development MUCH easier, but I do not wish to risk crashing my new $2800 iMac, and I'm sure everybody can agree on that. Please take the time to realize what I am asking. Thank you for your consideration.

Jack there is no way you could possibly mess it up. Even if it fails. You don't need to worry.

Cheers
simbabeat

Postby jack » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:45 am

simbabeat wrote:Jack there is no way you could possibly mess it up. Even if it fails. You don't need to worry.

Thank you for the encouragement, but I have to say I disagree. When Gral wrote the wiki on compiling and building GIT on mac os x, he included the following:

Wiki on installing GIT on mac, by Gral wrote:Keep in mind that installing developer versions of software can crash your computer ;-)

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Postby skyop » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:51 am

simbabeat wrote:Jack there is no way you could possibly mess it up. Even if it fails. You don't need to worry.

No, you're wrong. If he messes up one little detail his computer will come to life in the middle of the night and eat him and his family.

Okay, seriously, :lol: GIT compilation is pretty simple and hard to mess up badly enough to ruin your computer if you know what you're doing- like me. Of course, Jack doesn't, so you can understand his nervousness. ;)
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby simbabeat » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Yes, but even if you don't know what you are doing there is nothing you could possibly to ruin a mac. I understand why he is nervous but he can't hurt it by trying to compiling GIT.

Cheers
simbabeat

Postby gral » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:56 pm

jackmermod wrote:Thank you for the encouragement, but I have to say I disagree. When Gral wrote the wiki on compiling and building GIT on mac os x, he included the following:
Wiki on installing GIT on mac, by Gral wrote:Keep in mind that installing developer versions of software can crash your computer ;-)

Jackmermod,
This sentence is not serious of course. You can’t crash your computer at all levels. But when you try to solve some unexpected problems during compilation - you probably can crash parts of other software. So when you are trying to follow the turorial (and this thread!) and in case you get errors you can write it down here, or send me a PM, no problem at all (I hope 8) ) .

-gral
gral

Postby jack » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:27 pm

I'll look into it and do a bit more research. I personally would rather just get a copy of the binaries from tat, and that would make things a lot easier.

Also, I noticed some things on the wiki:

"Install XCode"

Is this required for a successful GIT build? I don't plan on any Core Development, just aircraft and liveries. Would I need Simgear too? Or can I leave that out if I just plan on aircraft development?

jack
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Compiling