Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Is FGTracker Broke???

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Is FGTracker Broke???

Postby Chrison » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:01 pm

I started a long flight using the callsign AVA0066 that began 2010-08-11 @ 05:15:33. Rather than creating one flight record, FGTracker created *many* records (total = 48) until 2010-08-11 09:28:35 and then it appears FGTracker hanged (i.e. that flight is still open 2 days later). I've tried refreshing the page, but to no avail.

Who can I contact to fix this. Or, if FGTracker is just "down" does anyone have any idea when it will be back?

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Re: Is FGTracker Broke???

Postby clrCoda » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:12 pm

yes, down for last 2-3 days. Happens. lately happens each month for about a week.

one of the problems is, even if it restarts itself immediately after it shutsdown/crashes, the full restart of the system requires that all server owners restart their servers.

messages going to these people, those people getting a chance to respond... can take a very longish time, unfortunately.

If flying for the airline is a concern, you do not have to worry, especially if no one has every inquired about any of your earlier flights. Assume you are trusted, and enter "no tracker' in the tracker box, and your reports will be accepted, usually with out comment.

:-)
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Chrison » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:26 pm

clrCoda wrote:yes, down for last 2-3 days. Happens. lately happens each month for about a week.

one of the problems is, even if it restarts itself immediately after it shutsdown/crashes, the full restart of the system requires that all server owners restart their servers.

messages going to these people, those people getting a chance to respond... can take a very longish time, unfortunately.

If flying for the airline is a concern, you do not have to worry, especially if no one has every inquired about any of your earlier flights. Assume you are trusted, and enter "no tracker' in the tracker box, and your reports will be accepted, usually with out comment.

:-)

Thanks, Ray, for that explanation. When it finally does reset and I get a flight for 5+ days, I'll submit that and we'll see if it's accepted "without comment." :twisted: :lol:

Regards,

Chris
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

MP Tracker and MP Server Weirdness

Postby Vodoun da Vinci » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:12 pm

Again and still.

I have not seen any flight being tracked recently (I primarily use MP05) and in an impromptu event last weekend some pilots/callsigns were popping in and out and some could not see others. Is there a list of contact information on how we can track this down?

Is it a tracker issue or a server issue? Are there any official FGFS channels for reporting this?

Thanks in advance!

VooDoo
FGFS version 2.4.0 on Windows 7
Primarily Flying Warbirds, Jet and Prop - Visit: http://www.fguk.eu
VooDoo's FGFS/FGUK Movies!: http://www.youtube.com/user/VooDoodaVinci?feature=mhee
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
A. Einstein
Vodoun da Vinci
Retired

Re: MP Tracker and MP Server Weirdness

Postby someguy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:19 pm

I gave up on 05. 08 seems to give me the most other pilots, but still not all of them, and some blink in and out of existence. The whole system seems to be seriously bent.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby snipey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:02 pm

the problem apperently is that mpserver02 is overloaded, because a lot off people use it. so it cant handle all the trafic and pilots from 02 keep popping up and disappear.
that's what i understood from it
snipey

Callsign: snipey
Version: GIT

Postby Chrison » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:55 am

Vodoun da Vinci wrote:Again and still.

I have not seen any flight being tracked recently (I primarily use MP05) and in an impromptu event last weekend some pilots/callsigns were popping in and out and some could not see others. Is there a list of contact information on how we can track this down?

Is it a tracker issue or a server issue? Are there any official FGFS channels for reporting this?

Thanks in advance!

VooDoo

The only "official" method of contacting the mpserver maintainers is the IRC channel or via their contact info. The list of contact info for mpserver maintainers, such as it is, is here:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Howto:_Multiplayer

I say "such as it is" because, as you'll see, the list is incomplete (i.e. some maintainers don't have contact information). As well, I should forewarn you that my experience with communicating with mpserver maintainers hasn't been very positive... most maintainers didn't respond to my inquiry, and those who did weren't all that helpful. Of course, your mileage may vary.

The "issue" I raised wasn't about the mpservers but, rather, the tracker. That server appears to be down, and has been for days now. Even if one or more mpservers is overloaded, I don't think that would stop the tracker from working, although with pilots popping in and out that would probably result in multiple tracker records for a given flight.

Anyway, let's hope that someone "in charge" notices that the tracker is down and gets it up and running sometime in the near future.

Hope that's helpful...

Regards,

Chris
Chrison

Postby Chrison » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:59 am

someguy wrote:I gave up on 05. 08 seems to give me the most other pilots, but still not all of them, and some blink in and out of existence.

I, too, have switched from mpserver05 to mpserver08. Thus far, mpserver08 seems to be working pretty well.

someguy wrote:The whole system seems to be seriously bent.

Yes, it sure seems that way. Maybe it's because the folks "in charge" are occupied with summer pursuits such as vacations and enjoying their families? Whatever the cause, let's hope things get fixed sooner rather than later.

Regards,

Chris
Last edited by Chrison on Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrison

Postby someguy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:26 am

Considering what we're paying, it's hardly sporting to whine, so I hope I wasn't. Quite a few people are donating their time, talent, and bandwidth so we can play at being pilots, and they're all heroes in my book.

FWIW, server02 doesn't work reliably even when the total mp load in only 10 or 12 users, most on other servers. 02 may indeed be overloaded sometimes, but that's not the sole reason its users aren't visible over the network.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Vodoun da Vinci » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:44 am

I humbly submit that it is not whining to merely ask if anyone is aware of the situation or ask if it can be resolved...if we don't ask we can't be sure the issue has even been recognized. :D

The Wiki doesn't really provide much contact information. But I am thankful for the link! I'll just sit quietly and wait for resolution.

VooDoo
VooDoo's FGFS/FGUK Movies!: http://www.youtube.com/user/VooDoodaVinci?feature=mhee
A. Einstein
Vodoun da Vinci
Retired

Postby Chrison » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:54 pm

Vodoun da Vinci wrote:I humbly submit that it is not whining to merely ask if anyone is aware of the situation or ask if it can be resolved...if we don't ask we can't be sure the issue has even been recognized. :D

Agreed. I wasn't complaining or whining, and apologize if anyone took it that way. I just wondered (and still do) whether anyone "in charge" was aware of the problem with FG Tracker being down and, if so when it might be back up again?

Vodoun da Vinci wrote:The Wiki doesn't really provide much contact information. But I am thankful for the link! I'll just sit quietly and wait for resolution.

No, the contact list in the Wiki doesn't provide much help, at least in my opinion. I "suggested" in the Forums that the table be updated to make it easier for folks to contact the maintainers, but I guess that didn't happen. Oh, well!

Anyway, I too will wait patiently for the Tracker to come back online. Hopefully that will happen soon, but if not it's no biggie.

Regards,

Chris
Chrison

Postby Jester » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:40 pm

someguy wrote:FWIW, server02 doesn't work reliably even when the total mp load in only 10 or 12 users, most on other servers. 02 may indeed be overloaded sometimes, but that's not the sole reason its users aren't visible over the network.

The reason is that 02 is in Hong Kong at it has very limited intercontinental bandwidth. The admin was trying to get rid of silly users who can't pick a proper server by IP blocking, but not with too much success. I have suggested multiple times that it be turned off or at least renamed. It causes more problems than it solves. Can't put it any other way: do not use 02.
Jester

Callsign: BA996,Rescue1
IRC name: Jester01
Version: GIT

Postby Gijs » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:14 pm

Vodoun da Vinci wrote:The Wiki doesn't really provide much contact information. But I am thankful for the link! I'll just sit quietly and wait for resolution.

What's wrong with the list, apart from the fact that there are no emailadresses (for understandable reasons)? You can contact all maintainers either via IRC, Forum or the mailinglist. No big deal.

Chrison wrote:FG Tracker being down and, if so when it might be back up again?

FG Tracker is not down. It is just that some servers are not being tracked, because they were not reset after a Tracker update/reset. This has been said multiple times on this forum, and most posters to this topic have participated in those earlier topics, so I don't see why it is soo hard to understand...

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Chrison » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:29 pm

Gijs wrote:What's wrong with the list, apart from the fact that there are no emailadresses (for understandable reasons)? You can contact all maintainers either via IRC, Forum or the mailinglist. No big deal.

What if one wants to contact an mpserver maintainer privately so that one's message isn't read/responded to by everyone on the planet? And one maintainer (mpserver11) doesn't have a Forum ID or an IRC nick.

Yes, I can understand why maintainers wouldn't want to publish a personal e-mail address, but couldn't there at least be a "maintainer@mpserverXX.flightgear.org" or other generic address people could e-mail?

Gijs wrote:FG Tracker is not down. It is just that some servers are not being tracked, because they were not reset after a Tracker update/reset. This has been said multiple times on this forum, and most posters to this topic have participated in those earlier topics, so I don't see why it is soo hard to understand...

This morning at 17:00 UTC I checked all of the servers. Only mpserver02, mpserver12, and mpserver13 were connected to the Tracker. So, it's more accurate to say that, at that time (it could've changed since then), MOST of the servers haven't reset/reconnected/whatever.

Anyway, I apologize if I missed a discussion of this in another forum. I don't watch the Forums religiously, so if this is a duplicate thread I offer my humblest apologies.

Regards,

Chris
Chrison

Postby Vodoun da Vinci » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:40 pm

I sent an Email and a PM out to MP05 maintainer in hopes he might reset that one. If ya'll use another one you'll have to track those guys down....I generally only use 05 as it's closest to me.

I take it there is no easy way of letting the maintainers know when their server needed to be reset so I thought maybe some activity on the forum might serve as a heads up and generate some discussion/information about it.

I promise not to ask again publicly or participate in discussion about tracker or server issues as apparently everything we need to know about it has already been discussed or posted somewhere that is easy to find and comprehensive as well.

Good luck, folks.

VooDoo
A. Einstein
Vodoun da Vinci
Retired

Next

Return to Multiplayer