Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Aircraft for beginners?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Aircraft for beginners?

Postby thatoneguytrying » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:53 am

Well, i downloaded a p-51 mustang and was trying to hard to fly it but i couldn't take off because i'm a beginner you know?...lol i seriously have no clue how to do it..but i read the tutorial and got it off the ground and managed to get about 5 min. of airtime in before i crashed into the ground. But i was thinking, a p-51 is not really a beginner aircraft..is it?...i searched the forums in "hangar talk" but couldn't find anything like it.....why doesn't everyone get together on one topic about aircraft best suited for beginners? i'm sure the veterans know which ones are easier to fly
thatoneguytrying

Re: Aircraft for beginners?

Postby Quadunit404 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:00 am

The Boeing 777-200ER is often the most recommended beginner plane. Of course, it isn't the most accurate, but it's easy enough for beginners.
Quadunit404

Postby thatoneguytrying » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:02 am

i prefer smaller aircraft but someone else may like it...i'm currently downloading the c150..never heard of it but it looks nice
thatoneguytrying

Postby simbabeat » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:06 am

The c172p included in flightgear is the standard for real life training and it is very accurate in fgfs. It is very easy.

Cheers
simbabeat

Postby Toanphuc » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:24 am

I would recommend T-37 for the beginners though it still in development but if you want an easy for beginner you should looking for commercial ones.B-52 is kind of nice and realistic if you spend about 10 minutes with it.And try to stay out to those have ultra detail cockpit like Concord or F-14 or crazy shape like B-2.But personal i see there is no difficult to fly all these in hangar,you just need to spend 10-15 min for each one,the only difficulty you'll meet is landing but it'll be no matter after several time trying and get about 2~3 crashes. :D
A good flight sim is not to make people feel fly easier but to make them feel fly is as real as it get.
Other Free Flight Sims viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8847
Toanphuc

Postby someguy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:51 pm

The T-27 Tucano is easy to fly, predictable, and quite sporty. Get it here:
http://www.4shared.com/file/241896406/f ... 00315.html

And if you don't have a joystick yet, move that toward the top of your list.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby thatoneguytrying » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:32 pm

i've tried some of those mentioned...c172 is nice. i've never been able to land the aircraft....i'm not there yet i guess....i went to walmart because thats the only place in my town that would have a joystick and out store don't carry them anymore. so i'm stuck using the mouse on my laptop which i bet works out a lot better than an actual mouse..i can make very very minute adjustments with it.
thatoneguytrying

Postby thatoneguytrying » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:34 pm

also whenever i downloaded the FG the A6M2 was included but it doesn't work. so yea. i've downloaded a few aircraft that doesn't work too
thatoneguytrying

Postby Chrison » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:12 pm

thatoneguytrying wrote:i've tried some of those mentioned...c172 is nice. i've never been able to land the aircraft....i'm not there yet i guess....i went to walmart because thats the only place in my town that would have a joystick and out store don't carry them anymore. so i'm stuck using the mouse on my laptop which i bet works out a lot better than an actual mouse..i can make very very minute adjustments with it.

I'll "ditto" the folks who suggest the c172p as a good starter plane. Or, if you want a jet, the MD-81 is a sweet plane to fly although the autopilot doesn't work with FG2.0 (or FG/git) just yet. If you want to fly a huge plane, the 777-200ER is pretty nice, but a bit harder to fly.

As for flying with a mouse, you REALLY need to get yourself a joystick. Using a mouse is better than using the keyboard, but using a joystick (or yoke) is the ONLY way to fly!

Just my opinion. YMMV, of course!

Regards,

Chris
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Postby thatoneguytrying » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:20 am

i'll get one if i ever go some place that has them...no place in town has them so i would have to drive like 45 min. to get one..and i dont have a car so yea its pretty bad
thatoneguytrying

Postby someguy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:53 am

Amazon.com sells every type of joystick known to man, delivered right to your door. I recommend a Saitek with twist rudder and throttle lever. The more buttons the better. No force feedback, since fg doesn't support it.

It's well worth spending a little time studying the theory of flight, so you understand lift and stall, and how they're affected by airspeed and angle of attack. Lots of good references online.
someguy

Postby thatoneguytrying » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:51 am

like i'm a high school student but i have learned about stall somewhere...but not lift
thatoneguytrying

Postby someguy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:51 pm

When I was in junior high school, I did a science fair project about aerodynamics. I built a wind tunnel and an instrumented airfoil model, and experimented with the effects of leading edge shapes on stall angles. I guess that's what started me down this long path.
someguy

Postby MAKG » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:14 pm

thatoneguytrying wrote:like i'm a high school student but i have learned about stall somewhere...but not lift

Stall and lift are intimately related. If you don't understand one, you don't understand the other.

Hint: gliders can stall. It's not about the engines.

Though most of the stuff easily available is intended for college undergrads or grad students, a private pilot's license can be earned in the US at 16, so I'm sure you can find something appropriate. Perhaps try the nearest small airport (most have pilot shops).
MAKG

Postby Chrison » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:33 pm

If you want to learn the basics (aerodynamics, flight maneuvers, etc.) the best starting place is the FAA's Airplane Flying Handbook (AFA). It's available (free) online (link someone?) and probably at your nearest airport. It's a bit "technical" at first, but once you get into it things become easier.

Another great resource is the FAA's Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautic Knowledge (PHAK), also available (free) online (link?) and probably at your nearest airport. Again, it can be a bit overwhelming at first, but gets better as you learn.

Both of these are "official" FAA publications used in getting one's pilot's license, if you want to go that direction.

Hope that helps...

Regards,

Chris

P.S. Understanding the relationship between lift and stall is easy...

Lift = Plane stays in the air
Stall = Plane doesn't!

LOL! :twisted: :lol:
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Next

Return to Flying