Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

eurofighter typhoon

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: eurofighter typhoon

Postby Algernon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:24 pm

Absolutely. Good stuff. I thought I'd read somewhere about some countries requiring a naval variant of the Typhoon, so perhaps eventually, if it happens, there could be one model with and one model without the arrestor hook etc.

We're quite looking forward to working on the Typhoon now, hehe :) I'm looking forward to the download, thank you very much in advance!
Algernon
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Callsign: G-ALGY
Version: 2019.1.1

Typhoon on carrier 1.3 relased

Postby almursi » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi, new realesed 1.3, DivShare File - etyphoon_carrier_1_3.zip

In this package include a kook improved, better fuel consumption ratio, and basic animation of slats and ailerons. The AFCS will wait for further review, because of the impossibility of adapting other models already made. It also features a Spanish livery, drawn from real models based on Moron and other details.

If I have (more) time, the working plan is:

Review 4: AP-AFCS, external lights, other external details
Review 5: Improve cockpit lighting, instrumentation

Regards.
Last edited by almursi on Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
almursi

Callsign: EC-ALM
Version: Git

Postby Algernon » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:49 pm

Fantastic, I'm going to take her for a quick spin now. A decent AFCS would be brilliant, and I'm about to start fiddling with MFDs myself so hopefully I'll be able to contribute to this project too. Here's hoping you get some free time!! ;)
Algernon
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Postby Canseco » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:31 pm

Me gusta la nueva livery, ;)

Thx for your efforts and keep up the good work.
System specs:
AMD Ahtlon 64 X2 Dual Core 2.2 GHz, ASUS M2N4-SLI,3 GB DDR2 800 MHz
Nvidia GT240 1GB 1440x900, 25-30 fps
Canseco

Callsign: Canseco

Postby Avionyx » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Brilliant work, thanks for that! :)

Alex
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Patch for FDM

Postby almursi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:31 pm

Hi, thanks to examples on use FDM Yasim script in Blender http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8989&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a, I could fix a problem in the FDM model.

The value to be changed, in wing section, is sweep = "53" to sweep = "30". With the old value the angle of the wing was like a rocket ... :shock: and now is possible to define the flap-aileron correctly.

This is wing section in typhoon-yasim.xml, that I'm still testing (and still not final version -may include a dual use of aileron and flap-):
Code: Select all
  <wing x="-9.525" y="1.184" z="-0.199"
        taper="0.185"
        incidence="0.0"
      twist="-5.0"
        length="5.1"
        chord="6.815"
        sweep="30"
        dihedral="0">
    <stall aoa="21" width="8" peak="1.3"/>
    <flap0 start="0.001" end="0.95" lift="1.2" drag="1.1"/>
    <slat aoa="6" start="0.0" end="0.813" lift="1.8" drag="1.7"/>
    <control-input axis="/controls/flight/aileron" control="FLAP0" split="true"/>
    <control-input axis="/controls/flight/aileron-trim" control="FLAP0" split="true"/>
    <control-input axis="/controls/flight/slats" control="SLAT"/>

<control-output control="SLAT" prop="/surface-positions/slat-pos-norm"/>

<control-output control="FLAP0" side="left"
                    prop="/surface-positions/left-aileron-pos-norm"/>
    <control-output control="FLAP0" side="right"
                    prop="/surface-positions/right-aileron-pos-norm"/>
    <control-output control="FLAP0" prop="/surface-positions/aileron-pos-norm"/>

<control-speed control="SLAT" transition-time="1.1"/>
    <control-speed control="FLAP0" transition-time="1.05"/>

</wing>

Regards.
almursi

Postby Algernon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Perhaps this is the reason the aircraft seems slower to manoeuvre than similarly-configured aircraft such as the Rafale. If you've solved this, it will be my biggest concern about it well on the way to resolution! Thanks so much for your continuing efforts on it :)
Algernon
Algernon

Postby Algernon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:28 pm

Algernon wrote:Perhaps this is the reason the aircraft seems slower to manoeuvre than similarly-configured aircraft such as the Rafale. If you've solved this, it will be my biggest concern about it well on the way to resolution!

Wow! It really does make a difference!!
Algernon
Algernon

Postby almursi » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:23 am

Algernon wrote:Wow! It really does make a difference!!

Hi, yes, now is much more maneuverable. I've also changed some other values, to ensure that the engines give speeds Match 1.4 & 2.0, and other small details. It may cost me tune the AP, but at least with these arrangements seem less urgent :). (I hope to have another review ready soon, although my time begins to sag :mrgreen:)

Look at this value (under wing section):
Code: Select all
<control-speed control="FLAP0" transition-time="1.05"/>

If you raise to 1.1, it is even easier (thereby soften the control response), but you lose a bit in agility.

Regards.
almursi

Released for FDM update

Postby almursi » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:35 am

Hi,

Release 1.3b - Fixed FDM
DivShare File - etyphoon_carrier_1_3b.zip

* Reason of this released is only for Fixed FDM (wing size, engine, etc.), but includes everything else due to constant changes in other developing parts.

* On release 1.3b animations (slats, stick, pedals, hook) are only basics
on working development (fixing textures, sizes, etc -while I'm learning to work with blender :mrgreen:)
* No Flaps (at the moment -> only by AFCS control)
* Slats seem do nothing -> on development
* Autopilot only work Wing Leveler, pitch hold and Auto Throttle (without reheat)
* No new Livery (under GPL-copyright request) -> Edited: The livery of Moron is still there. What I've stopped has been the development of which I have half, and I should probably start from the beginning.

Regards
Last edited by almursi on Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
almursi

Re: Released for FDM update

Postby almursi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:42 pm

almursi wrote:Release 1.3b - Fixed FDM

Hi, just I send the changes to GIT, the rest of the changes will have to wait (cockpit design is quite arduous :mrgreen:) and go far more slowly. I've seen the display problems in 2.0 are due to need of bitmap textures (or better bitmaps).

(I hope that I sent the changes correctly, when I have not a howto I am always in doubt ... :)
... and yes :D , with: git commit -a --author='Your Name <you@example.com>' )

Regards
almursi

Postby Algernon » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:20 pm

I haven't had the courage to start learning about GIT yet, but I have been doing quite well with sounds and should have a whole sound package to add to the aircraft very soon. What's the best way to go about submitting something, if I don't use GIT yet?

I think myself and another chap at least would be interested in helping out with the instrument design.
Algernon
Algernon

GIT Collaboration

Postby almursi » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Algernon wrote:I haven't had the courage to start learning about GIT yet, but I have been doing quite well with sounds and should have a whole sound package to add to the aircraft very soon. What's the best way to go about submitting something, if I don't use GIT yet?

I think myself and another chap at least would be interested in helping out with the instrument design.

Hi, with GIT it's very easy :D. But first I need to make a little howto. We can have a branch (another that master fgdata) to synchronize the changes that we will do (and merge changes when work is more advanced). In fact just as well that you mention it, because I had begun to change the sounds, so I can work in another aspect. I'm actually seeing how I can set up branch in git, so in one or two days I tell you :D.

http://gitorious.org/~almursi/fg/almursis-fgdata (Edited: may be better to rename typhoon-fgdata ? I'm going slowly, but I think in two days I can do the howto for collaborations.)

Regards.
almursi

Postby Gijs » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:55 am

For Windows, there is a FlightGear-Git tutorial available at the wiki since this week: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Fl ... ng_changes
It is quite a long list, but when you are used to it, it doesn't require much actions. Others OSs won't be much different, they'll just require different Git software.

Btw, nice job on the Typhoon ;)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS

Postby Algernon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:55 pm

I really feel this aircraft moving ahead now. almursi, if it's alright with you I will continue with the sound package, and also, would it be okay to tackle the Nav Lights? I want a small, simple modelling/texturing/animating excercise to learn on and I think that's about the right size job! I could also do the afterburners while I'm at it. What do you think?

I'll certainly read the GIT article on the Wiki, and try and get up and running with it. Compiling and the like has never worked very well in my head, but I'll have a crack at understanding how to use GIT cos I'm sure there are some cool things in that version not in FGFS 2 which I use. Thanks for the link!
Algernon
Algernon

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft