Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Who owns FlightGear?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Who owns FlightGear?

Postby Rick Ace » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Who owns flightgear? I'm pretty sure I've heard his name, in the wiki FAQ saying why aircrafts are not destroyed. But that sorta seems vague :D Who is he and does he speak? :)
Rick Ace

Callsign: rickace
Version: 2.6.0

Re: Who owns FlightGear?

Postby simbabeat » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:07 pm

Curt. Yes he speaks.
simbabeat

Postby jack » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:13 am

From what I understand, The Flightgear Project was started in 1996 by several people, one of which being Curtis Olsen, also, I don't believe anybody 'owns' flightgear in it's entirety, due to the license it's under and the fact that it was founded by multiple people. AFAIK, Curt owns the Flightgear Official Site, and that is why you hear his name more. Correct me if I'm wrong.
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1
Version: GIT

Postby Groucho » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:28 am

jackmermod wrote:From what I understand, The Flightgear Project was started in 1996 by several people, one of which being Curtis Olsen, also, I don't believe anybody 'owns' flightgear in it's entirety, due to the license it's under and the fact that it was founded by multiple people. AFAIK, Curt owns the Flightgear Official Site, and that is why you hear his name more. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The best start to read about Curt´s contribution and a summary about Flightgear history is propably Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FlightGear
Helis: EC130, Bo105, UH-1, R22
Twins/Jets: Aerostar, CRJ-200
Groucho

Callsign: D-HARP

Postby DistantRain » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:03 am

Rick Ace wrote:Who owns flightgear? I'm pretty sure I've heard his name, in the wiki FAQ saying why aircrafts are not destroyed. But that sorta seems vague :D Who is he and does he speak? :)

I own FlightGear, Rickace. I have been speaking for a while. ;)
I am a proud head CEO of Distantrain. Founder, and Co-producer of Distantrain.
Senior Commander in Chief
Please PM him with any questions regarding Distantrain.
DistantRain

Callsign: Distantrain

Postby curt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:30 am

Yes, once in a while I do speak! I don't think any one specific person could be said to own FlightGear, it's a group project and the cumulative contributions of a whole bunch of wonderful volunteers who build their contributions on the contributions of many other people and projects. Specific people might own specific ownable things ... like a server, or a domain name that are then donated for use of the project.
curt
Administrator

Postby Quadunit404 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:26 am

Curt has spoken :o

But yeah, he's right, even though he started the project nobody owns FlightGear really, it's developed by a bunch of volunteers and other contributors and anybody can add to it or improve it as they wish.

Helps that it's released under an open source license, doesn't it? :wink:
Quadunit404

Postby Rick Ace » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:17 am

curt wrote:Yes, once in a while I do speak! I don't think any one specific person could be said to own FlightGear, it's a group project and the cumulative contributions of a whole bunch of wonderful volunteers who build their contributions on the contributions of many other people and projects. Specific people might own specific ownable things ... like a server, or a domain name that are then donated for use of the project.

Well nice to meet you sir :) I always wondered who had the brilliant idea of starting off the project, which brought together, many developers, testers, and simulation lovvers together. And this is all free :mrgreen: Great job!
Rick Ace

Callsign: rickace
Version: 2.6.0

Postby curt » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:56 am

To be fair, the original proposal was submitted to the flightsim community by David Murr:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/FlightGear_History

This proposal resonated with a number of people including myself and here we are. :-)
curt
Administrator

Postby Quadunit404 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 am

You guys certainly have come a long way, and with each update, FlightGear becomes better. Hope you only continue to improve the software even further, as one of these days we'll be flying the greatest and most realistic virtual skies this side of simulation :D
Quadunit404

Postby clrCoda » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:28 am

Ditto here. I just love it!
Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Return to The FlightGear project