Board index FlightGear Development New features

New download_and_compile.sh GIT version issues and success

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

New download_and_compile.sh GIT version issues and success

Postby planetacancun » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:33 pm

I crashed my FG, my FG didn't crash on me this time :)

This came from another thread related to some problems we had with the download_and_compile.sh script

I'm doing a copy backup on another HD of what it seems to be one of the most stable developer versions I got so far :) Just some minor freezes here and there, and as I see, all related to network lag. is 8.3 GB so I'm not going to compress all that...

Most of the time the game stops trying to load airplanes not in my HD, or images being resized, or OSG errors. But works better and better.

One of the models that does the most lag when "I see it" in multiplayer is the F-16 (when I'm not using it). Is like I have to load all "his" cockpit and all his "inside" little bitty stuff into "my" simulation, when the lag is heavy and many players are interconnected, I have to load stuff from many planes, and the problems start when they "lag out" and I'm still loading their stuff into my memory, then it freezes and sometimes doesn't come back. But sometimes using a different server fixes more than 50% lag problems. It really doesn't matter much if the ping is +200 -300 for a good network flight, as long as is "fluid"

I believe all stuff "inside" other airplanes should be loaded into my simulation when I have reached a "in sight" distance from other players, otherwise only makes the simulation lag more. Is that possible? Like to prevent 3D cockpits from being loaded until I can "see it" distance is reached.

Also to limit the number of players in the servers that lag more could help, or update the code?

Anyways such a great job, is more enjoyable every day. I just have to applaud such a great effort I'm so proud to help even this little.

I honestly believe Brisa's script belongs to the GIT now. Should be stored in a folder inside FG and auto update on next upgrade all the time.

One last thing, the default speed for nimitz-demo.xml for the Nimitz carrier is "10", if changes to "0" we all can land on "the same" carrier, otherwise in multiplayer mode the aircraft carrier for all players, moves at different speeds from everyones own view. If the default speed for all is "0" then we all see the same position, and we can agree on meeting there to practice take off and landings in group, and that is like one of the very great stuff to do in FlightGear, once you know how to land there.

Right now, the people that know how to land on the aircraft carrier, we all talk and agree to manually change the Nimitz speed to "0", but is a pain, many non programmer players want to do this, and they don't know how, to explain them how to "fix" this is sometimes difficult. The Vinson could stay with it's default "10" speed if you want to try landing on a moving carrier.

Now, for the people that "drive" the Nimitz or the Vinson, nobody can see it "if" we don't load the "nimitz-demo" or "vinson-demo" scenario. I recently knew about this, I didn't know why I wasn't able to see it, even by selecting it from the available carriers on the multiplayer menu. Again, for the non programmer player this is something difficult to understand (I know programming and I didn't know) what would be easier is that, once selected from the network menu, the "nimitz-demo" scenario should be automagically loaded to allow them to see the MP carriers in action.

My 4 coins :)
Callsign:Fallen-
Videos: http://youtube.com/planetacancun2
planetacancun

Callsign: Fallen-
IRC name: Fallen-
Version: GIT

Re: New download_and_compile.sh GIT version issues and success

Postby jack » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:32 am

Now, for the people that "drive" the Nimitz or the Vinson, nobody can see it "if" we don't load the "nimitz-demo" or "vinson-demo" scenario. I recently knew about this, I didn't know why I wasn't able to see it, even by selecting it from the available carriers on the multiplayer menu. Again, for the non programmer player this is something difficult to understand (I know programming and I didn't know) what would be easier is that, once selected from the network menu, the "nimitz-demo" scenario should be automagically loaded to allow them to see the MP carriers in action.

Wait, so in order to see an mp carrier, I have to select the Nimitz dem from the property menu?
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1

Postby Hooray » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:21 pm

One of the models that does the most lag when "I see it" in multiplayer is the F-16 (when I'm not using it). Is like I have to load all "his" cockpit and all his "inside" little bitty stuff into "my" simulation, when the lag is heavy and many players are interconnected, I have to load stuff from many planes, and the problems start when they "lag out" and I'm still loading their stuff into my memory, then it freezes and sometimes doesn't come back. But sometimes using a different server fixes more than 50% lag problems. It really doesn't matter much if the ping is +200 -300 for a good network flight, as long as is "fluid"

I believe all stuff "inside" other airplanes should be loaded into my simulation when I have reached a "in sight" distance from other players, otherwise only makes the simulation lag more. Is that possible? Like to prevent 3D cockpits from being loaded until I can "see it" distance is reached.

Also to limit the number of players in the servers that lag more could help, or update the code?

I can't seem to find the threads/postings right now, but I remember having read somewhere here that someone was working on exactly this, i.e. decreasing the complexity of the AI/MP models, by selectively not loading certain submodels (i.e. the 3D cockpit) to hopefully help improve the performance of AI/MP.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Canseco » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:05 pm

Hooray wrote:I can't seem to find the threads/postings right now, but I remember having read somewhere here that someone was working on exactly this, i.e. decreasing the complexity of the AI/MP models, by selectively not loading certain submodels (i.e. the 3D cockpit) to hopefully help improve the performance of AI/MP.

I wanted to do it, but not too much free time to make it.
I think i will start with f16, ;)
System specs:
AMD Ahtlon 64 X2 Dual Core 2.2 GHz, ASUS M2N4-SLI,3 GB DDR2 800 MHz
Nvidia GT240 1GB 1440x900, 25-30 fps
Canseco

Callsign: Canseco
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:36 pm

I think I have found some of the threads, it was stuart who was working on this a couple of months ago:

http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewto ... =45#p72369
http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear- ... 27423.html
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby planetacancun » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:10 pm

Thank you for the feedback!
Callsign:Fallen-
Videos: http://youtube.com/planetacancun2
planetacancun

Callsign: Fallen-
IRC name: Fallen-

Postby VicMar » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:54 am

Planetacancun said,
The Vinson could stay with it's default "10" speed if you want to try landing on a moving carrier.
Unless you all load and enter FG at exactly the same moment the Carrier will be in a different place for each person on MP. The only way to see each other's attempts at landings would be to have the speed at zero.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Return to New features