Board index FlightGear Development New features

Ubuntu Aircraft Packages

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Ubuntu Aircraft Packages

Postby Groucho » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:49 am

ethan3391 wrote:As I said after your other post FGRun was not implemented on Linux until apparently very recently. Prior to some recent date, FGRun was not on any Linux distributions of FlightGear. You haven't run FG on Linux for long, have you.

I have been running FlightGear through fgrun under Linux until end of last year for long so it definitely has been available for a while. Just after some break until some weeks ago I tried to build fgrun again and failed due to missing dependencies. So I assume this is what you wanted to tell us- fgrun for Linux is there, it just does not build actually.
Helis: EC130, Bo105, UH-1, R22
Twins/Jets: Aerostar, CRJ-200
Groucho

Callsign: D-HARP
Version: GIT

Postby AndersG » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:04 am

ethan3391 wrote:Prior to some recent date, FGRun was not on any Linux distributions of FlightGear.

As far as I know fgrun has been possible to build on Linux ever since its creation. What is included or not in the software package library of certain Linux distributions is an unrelated matter.

/Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby Gijs » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:36 am

FGRun worked on Linux ever since (eg. see this topic from 2007). You "just" have to compile/build it IIUC.
But we're getting off topic. Please get back on topic.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby ethan3391 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:52 pm

Okay, I get the picture. It is usable on Linux. It just has to be specially compiled. That must be where I went wrong. I can't seem to compile anything on this computer.

Anyways, as Gijs said, lets get back on topic.
What one fool can do, another can. (simian proverb published in the book, Calculus Made Easy by, Silvanus P. Thompson)
ethan3391

Postby chris_blues » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:05 pm

Yes great! If you can include fgo! into the debs, would be great! But I guess there's some serious trouble getting it all fitting together. I've been running brisas download_and_compile.sh frequently, and it only runs through correctly every 3 times I run it. The GIT-repo is quite unstable from time to time. Due to no stable-stage in the repo. Maybe this could be a great improvement as well, to mark one stable running version as such and leave it till the next stable version. I mean stable to compile as it is...

I would very much like to bind that PPA into my sources.list ....
This would ease installation very much, as I was always struggeling getting all dependencies together... Via apt-get I believe it's way easier!
Great idea!

chris_blues
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues

Postby Chris10 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:30 pm

chris_blues wrote:Yes great! If you can include fgo! into the debs, would be great!

I will have a look at it, the part I am stuck on at the moment is modifying the old source packages for open scene graph and simgear to match the updated releases.

Chris
Chris10

Postby Chris10 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:09 am

Just to keep everyone interested up to speed, Flightgear depends on a development release of OpenSceneGraph that means that it will never be released in to Debian (http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html) and probably never released in to Ubuntu. It also means that I am having trouble packaging it, so this might take longer than I originally expected.

Chris
Chris10

Postby Groucho » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:44 am

Chris10 wrote:Just to keep everyone interested up to speed, Flightgear depends on a development release of OpenSceneGraph that means that it will never be released in to Debian (http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html) and probably never released in to Ubuntu. It also means that I am having trouble packaging it, so this might take longer than I originally expected.

I used checkinstall to create appropriate apt packages for the OpenSceneGraph development branch: http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/
IIRC it is included in the Ubuntu repositories.
Groucho

Postby Canseco » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:23 am

You can compile Simgear and Flightgear from GIT, using openscenegraph included in Ubuntu repositories.

I used to compile OSG, but sometimes it fails, and after asking on IRC, it seems a lot of people do it , ;)
System specs:
AMD Ahtlon 64 X2 Dual Core 2.2 GHz, ASUS M2N4-SLI,3 GB DDR2 800 MHz
Nvidia GT240 1GB 1440x900, 25-30 fps
Canseco

Callsign: Canseco
Version: Git

Postby Oby » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:27 am

Adding OpenSceneGraph to your PPA would also be a good option.
Oby

Postby Groucho » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:17 pm

Oby wrote:Adding OpenSceneGraph to your PPA would also be a good option.

As OSG development is not included in the repositories as well as simgear GIT (and propably others) he mostly has to provide these dependencies anyway if something like a daily build is the aim targeted at.
IMHO it makes not much sense to provide flightgear and flightgear data only while the user has to build the remaining dependencies by himself (unless there is already a different repository source to get them from, of course).
Groucho

Postby Chris10 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Canseco wrote:You can compile Simgear and Flightgear from GIT, using openscenegraph included in Ubuntu repositories.

I used to compile OSG, but sometimes it fails, and after asking on IRC, it seems a lot of people do it , ;)

I have not tried that, but that is really confusing. The source download page clearly states "You will need OSG version 2.9.6 or higher for best results. " (http://www.flightgear.org/Downloads/source.shtml ). I thought this was a bit strange, having a supposedly stable release depend on a development snapshot of a major library. Surely flightgear should always us the latest stable release? I will try compiling Flightgear and Simgear with the current version of open scene graph.

Thanks,

Chris
Chris10

Postby Groucho » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Chris10 wrote:I have not tried that, but that is really confusing. The source download page clearly states "You will need OSG version 2.9.6 or higher for best results. " (http://www.flightgear.org/Downloads/source.shtml ). I thought this was a bit strange, having a supposedly stable release depend on a development snapshot of a major library. Surely flightgear should always us the latest stable release? I will try compiling Flightgear and Simgear with the current version of open scene graph.

You definitely need the latest subversion snapshot of OSG, otherwise simgear will fail to build. I did this a couple of times so believe me it works.
Groucho

Postby Chris10 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:14 pm

I emailed the flightgear development mailing list and got a response back to the effect of "flightgear should allways compile and run with the latest stable edition of osg". I have now compiled flightgear and simgear under debian sid and it works in my quick tests. I will try to update my launchpad ppa soon.

Chris
Chris10

Postby Groucho » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:01 am

Chris10 wrote:I emailed the flightgear development mailing list and got a response back to the effect of "flightgear should allways compile and run with the latest stable edition of osg". I have now compiled flightgear and simgear under debian sid and it works in my quick tests.

To understand correctly- you were able to build flightgear/simgear by using osg 2.8.x from this location:
http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/ ... /Downloads
Is that correct?

Because this is the latest stable version.
Groucho

PreviousNext

Return to New features