Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

newbie developing scenery, input appreciated

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

newbie developing scenery, input appreciated

Postby maestrostephent » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:51 pm

Hello,

I'm a flightgear newb and am excited to have a chance to put my 3D modeling skills to good use. I've decided to first model one of my favorite spots to vacation, Indian Lake Ohio just a few miles Northwest of KEDJ Bellefontaine Municipal, and hope to post some images of the progress soon.

Before I get too carried away I wanted to first confirm that the models I make can/will be used by other flightgear enthusiasts once I submit them. I won't waste my time making models just for myself.

Also I am wondering if anybody more code savvy than I am would be willing to develop some "missions" to fly around the lake.

Steve
maestrostephent

Re: newbie developing scenery, input appreciated

Postby skyop » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:23 am

Glad to see another scenery designer on the block! :D

You are highly encouraged to develop scenery models and submit them, no matter how uninteresting/unimportant the area seems. This is because the FlightGear Scenery Database is currently lacking on models/positions.

Missions? If you mean FSX-style missions then no, FlightGear does not support them. You could, however, organize a multiplayer fly-in an create some action of your own! :)
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby rsotaccs » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:41 am

skyop wrote:(...)Missions? If you mean FSX-style missions then no, FlightGear does not support them.(...)

Of course it does! Just use the "tutorial" XML system, but instead of a tutorial, create a mission! (Pretty much like the C172P "engine failure" tutorial, which is actually a mission). It can't be like the FSX ones, with audio and all that, but you can create text-based missions. There must be something on the FlightGear wiki (link on top of the page) about this.
Active again! Sometimes... // BRASIL
rsotaccs

Callsign: PT-RSB
IRC name: PT-RSB
Version: 111219

Postby statto » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:10 am

Please familiarize yourself with the FlightGear Scenery Model database at http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/ (make sure to click contribute).

The way FlightGear works is the main scenery is stored centrally. Basically, you submit a model to the database, the maintainers upload it, and soon (usually within 24 hours) anyone using TerraSync will be able to view it. The Object scenery files for users who don't stream scenery are updated a little less regularly.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby maestrostephent » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:45 am

Thanks for the input. I willpost pics of the project soon. By "mission" I really meant "scenario".
maestrostephent

Postby maestrostephent » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:03 am

As part of my scenery project I modeled islands for the lake. I did UV maps with a generic sandy beach and grass texture, but am wondering if there is a way to get them to change to white for winter and brownish green for fall. How do I make that happen?
maestrostephent

Postby skyop » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:57 am

maestrostephent wrote:As part of my scenery project I modeled islands for the lake. I did UV maps with a generic sandy beach and grass texture, but am wondering if there is a way to get them to change to white for winter and brownish green for fall. How do I make that happen?

I can't give you specifics, but I think you might need to add an animation property in the model's XML file.
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby maestrostephent » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Hmmmmm, my models are textured with TGA files, no XML file at all. Did I do something wrong? I am definitely not a programmer, any help out there regarding XML files and changing textures with the seasons?
maestrostephent

Postby stuart » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:13 pm

rsotaccs wrote:
skyop wrote:(...)Missions? If you mean FSX-style missions then no, FlightGear does not support them.(...)

Of course it does! Just use the "tutorial" XML system, but instead of a tutorial, create a mission! (Pretty much like the C172P "engine failure" tutorial, which is actually a mission). It can't be like the FSX ones, with audio and all that, but you can create text-based missions. There must be something on the FlightGear wiki (link on top of the page) about this.

Actually, it supports audio as well, though this isn't used by any of the core tutorials at present.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Return to Scenery