Board index FlightGear Development New features

Java Mapping Utility

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Java Mapping Utility

Postby cnovak » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:53 am

I have released a new version, which should work properly, when the window is resized... You can get it under http://jmapview.sourceforge.net/ (& admire the new homepage design ;-) )

About the proxy issue: In the path of my Java Runtime Environment (in my case this happens to be C:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin ), there is a file javacpl.exe, which is a control panel for java... In one of the tabs you can change the network settings and specify your proxy server - hth...
cnovak

Postby HHS » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:09 pm

Many thanks for your work! It looks really good- like a real Moving Map!

Unfortunatley I have problems to use it.

Without FGFS running I can zoom in the map, searching for Airport datas. When I run FGFS, then suddenly Jmap freezes, no zooming in possible, my position isn't visible, it isn't usuable, I even can't exit it- I have to reboot my pc!

My system is MS Windows XP, I have JAVA enabled on my system ( well, running another JAVA application (Javafoil) shows this for me) an- where to look for the error?

Regards
HHS
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:16 pm

Hi HHS,
Hmmm.....From My Experience, the app. can be terminated!
Does it Freeze Your Full system? [I am 99% sure that it does not....!]
If not, you can End the Prticular Process, By using the Task Manager[Ctrl+Alt+Del]. By Its Pretty Dangerous if you end the wrong Process!
I use this a lot when my programmed applications stop responding!
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby HHS » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:18 pm

Fahim Dalvi wrote:...
If not, you can End the Prticular Process, By using the Task Manager[Ctrl+Alt+Del]. By Its Pretty Dangerous if you end the wrong Process!
I use this a lot when my programmed applications stop responding!

It don't work here- that's why I have to reboot my pc! :(
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby MAKG » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:23 am

Very pretty.

But it won't parse my FlightGear install.

Why? It seems you hardcoded your path separator as "\." That's not portable. It gets "file not found" errors, even though the path is verified correct and the files exist where they should.

I've a Debian Linux install. Paths are separated by '/' in all Unix variants.
MAKG

Postby brisa » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:46 am

check the svn version, that will work with Linux too. otherwise put this jar in your dist subfolder:
http://brisa.homelinux.net/fgfs/jMapView.jar
brisa

Callsign: brisa

Postby NicQ » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:08 pm

MAKG wrote:Very pretty.

But it won't parse my FlightGear install.

Why? It seems you hardcoded your path separator as "\." That's not portable. It gets "file not found" errors, even though the path is verified correct and the files exist where they should.

I've a Debian Linux install. Paths are separated by '/' in all Unix variants.

And in this case, the proper default is UNIX as it's trivial to support proper "/" on windows : MS does, out of the box on many post NT versions of their windows OS. In vista/xp/2k you can even use "/" in cmd.exe (and obviously Power Shell), so there is no reason at all to use "\" in Java.
None whatsoever :)
MS still displays with "\" to maintain compatibility with the trillions of msdos style batch files still in use.
Basically, you should be able to simply change "\" in your code to "/" that parses directories, and your Java app should run everywhere as advertised.
If it ain't broke, break it. How else are you going to figure out how it works ?
Callsign: C-NICQ, amateur FGFS military and aerobatic test pilot, pushing the envelope since 2009 (sic)

FGFS Gallery
Birds Of Gear, a blog
NicQ's Workshop
NicQ

Postby cnovak » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:22 pm

I've uploaded a new release on the sourceforge site... http://jmapview.sourceforge.net/ which hopefully corrects some of the previous problems/errors...

Just in case - If the program crashes/freezes Windows, open the process explorer (ctrl-alt-del), search in processes for a process called javaw.exe & kill it. This should terminate the program. In Linux you can find the PID with ps & then make a kill -9 PID on the command line.

Regards - Clemens
cnovak

Postby miho » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi Clemens,

thanks for that cool utility. Much simpler to use than Atlas. I just downloaded your latest zip from sourceforge and it works fine. I initially had trouble with searchibg airports. No results at all. After restarting without tracking a plane that seems to work now.

Thanks again,
Mike
miho

Postby snipey » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:49 pm

nice program and a lot easier to use than atlas.
though it would be nice to be able to search for fixes and navaids to and to switch of airport names when zoomed out
snipey

Callsign: snipey

Postby eduardoefb » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:25 am

Hi,

Had Someone been tested this application for South American airports??

I tested it in SBRJ (Santos Dumount airport in Brazil) and SBPC (Poços de Caldas, also in Brazil), and the map pointer stopped in Atlantic Ocean.

I tested in KSFO ant it worked fine... maybe the problem is South Weast part of the earth.. i don't know...

Thank you.
Eduardo
Last edited by eduardoefb on Wed May 19, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
eduardoefb

Postby eduardoefb » Sat May 01, 2010 8:52 pm

I think that this problem is related to south part of the earth only. My "cursor" is moving only in "horizontal", but not in vertical.
eduardoefb

Postby luca72 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:56 am

Hello, i'm uder linux
i have javamappingutility but i can see the trace of my airplane there is something that i have to add,

Thanks

Luca
luca72

Postby johnda » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:27 am

I'm using Jmap on Windows Vista 64. The way I'm running it is that I have a shortcut on my desktop to jmap. I start up Flight gear, then activate jmap. The map works fine, I can zoom in or out, scroll, all that is great. The only problem I have is that the program will not show my aircraft on the map. I checked the "follow plane" option on jmap, but do not get any indication of the plane's position on the map, nor does the map move with the position of your plane. For me it is just a map without being linked to my position. I like the program and it works well whereas I cannot get Atlas to work at all. Anybody have any suggestions?
johnda

Postby luuk » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:54 pm

The reason that the plane tracking doesn't work in the southern hemisphere is because the latitude is not set to a negative number. I'm not sure if this is being worked on at all anymore, but here is a patch that will fix the problem.
Code: Select all
--- a/src/mapapp/PositionWorker.java
+++ b/src/mapapp/PositionWorker.java
@@ -68,6 +68,9 @@ public class PositionWorker extends SwingWorker<GeoPosition, O
                 }
                 if (i == 4) {
                     north_south = data;
+                    if (north_south.equalsIgnoreCase("S")) {
+                        lat = -lat;
+                    }
                 }
                 if (i == 5) {
                     double lon_1 = new Double(data.substring(0, 3));
luuk

PreviousNext

Return to New features