Board index FlightGear Development AI Traffic

San Antonio LPD17 Download

Intelligent, computer controlled vehicles that drive/fly over the planet!

Where should I place the "San Antiono" ?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:51 pm

Some nm offshore San Diego
55%
Some nm offshore Los Angeles
36%
Some nm offshore New York
9%

Total votes : 11

San Antonio LPD17 Download

Postby HHS » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi,

as I mainly interested in rotorcrafts I wondered if we have something like the Nimitz but just for rotorcrafts.
In data/Models I found a very nice textured model of the LPD17 "San Antonio", so I decided to make nice little AI-demo with the 6 parking spots so we can start from it with our favourite rotorcrafts like the V22 or Bell UH1, S58 etc....

Currently I'm investigating if I can make it roll and pitch like the little boats in KMTN, so landing and starting will be more fun.

Until that I wold like to know where should I place the "San Antonio"? At the west coast of the USA, maybe near KLAX? San Diego where the Homeport is?
Or at the east coast near New York?

The poll will run 7 days, after that I will upload it to GIT. Of course it will run with 2.0.0 as well.

Update 07/10/2010
I have updated the package. It should now be backward compatible and work in FlightGear versions older than 2.0.0.

Download: http://www.hoerbird.net/SanAntonio.tar.gz
Please report any bugs or in the case it should still not be backward compatible.

Regards
HHS
Last edited by HHS on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Re: San Antonio LPD17

Postby JAG007N » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:42 am

well I put her off KNFG already, she's a great ship for helos, next will be CH-47s and how much we can land on her?? :D its real close to th LCACS base near oceanside calif and thats a craft we could use in FG landing craft air cushined
JAG007N

Callsign: JAG007
Version: 2

Postby simbabeat » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:54 pm

I think diverting some of the MP traffic from ksfo to New York by making New York scenery better would be a good thing for multiplayer.

Cheers
simbabeat

Postby ot-666 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:22 am

Looks like a really nice place to put down the v22. :D
Nice we get a new heli spot. Could you provide a outside view of the ship?

And I love the idea of roll and pitch. That would add some nice challenge.

Best regards, Oliver
Callsign: ot-666
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
VMX22 - Osprey... sometimes in 2014
ot-666

Callsign: ot-666
IRC name: ot666

Postby VicMar » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:13 am

HHS said,
Currently I'm investigating if I can make it roll and pitch like the little boats in KMTN, so landing and starting will be more fun.
I hope this doesn't spoil the fun, but I think you will find the deck is kept flat (tolerance +/- 5º) by a huge pair of gyros which very cleverly operate 4 stabilisers (2 each back and front).

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby HHS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:13 pm

VicMar wrote:
HHS said,
I hope this doesn't spoil the fun, but I think you will find the deck is kept flat (tolerance +/- 5º) by a huge pair of gyros which very cleverly operate 4 stabilisers (2 each back and front).

Cheers,
Vic

That's great! - 5°? I tried it with a bit larger angles but noticed that the g-rates are going up to 2-3g's which makes problems for some aircrafts.
Where you got all this information from?

Anyway , if I found some time (which will be very difficult this and the next week) I will model another nice ship with helideck- This one will defintly roll a bit more! :D
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby VicMar » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:07 pm

HHS wanted to know,
Where you got all this information from?
Here in the UK we have a TV presenter who has a series which shows how all sorts of large projects - Aircraft Carriers, The Sydney Opera House, The Wembley Stadium, The Millau Sky Bridge etc are all made using technology which can date back to ancient origins like medievil archery etc.

It is called Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections. This is always worth a look. I'm not sure where you are located, but I download the programmes from the BBC iplayer. Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/ and see if it will let you download, or watch on line.

The stabiliser info was featured in the Aircraft Carrier programme (as if I need to tell you that doh!).

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby jack » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:30 am

Can I have a copy of the LPD17_demo.xml as is? I'd like to place it in a custom spot. :D
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1

Postby jack » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:06 am

Nevermind, I got it working. :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Postby HHS » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:44 am

For those who can wait:

- yes, 6 parkingspots on the deck, which means you can choose each of the 6 spots to start from the deck
- the ship will rock a bit in the waves- like VicMar had discribed here
- the welldeck will have doors which can be opened- for those who maybe creates a air cushined craft
- I will try to make the waves animated

Of course I will upload a package for those who not uses GIT.

And for those who can't wait, well..... :lol:
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby HHS » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:55 pm

O.k, You have decided: 54% want to have it some nm offshore SanDiego.

I placed it 4 helicopter-minutes away from KSAN at lat/lon 32.75/-117.34. (Just take off at KSAN 27 and keep that heading).
The carrier is making 10ktn and heading 300.

You can choose 6 spots on the deck: park1- park6.

You can open the welldeck by operating elevators at AI/ATC-> Options.
I made the waves animating per texture animation, but my graphical abilities are week- if someone have a nice texture for that, which can be animated- that would be great!
The carrier is a bit rolling and pitching, but only really noticable at storm. Please note, I mean this serious: you can get sick after watching the movements from the deck!

Download:
http://www.hoerbird.net/SanAntonio.tar.gz

Have fun!

Next project in this category: the "Hermann Marwede", german civilian SAR ship, based at Helgoland
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby jack » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:02 pm

Looks great! :D

jack
Retired

Postby HHS » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:08 pm

jackmermod wrote:Looks great! :D

Thanks!
To be honest:
it took me just 20minutes to make it. 15 minutes I need for searching the model and the roll/pitch-code by MD-Terp. The other 5minutes for the additional features.

Just because it is OpenSource- the ship model was already ready to use in the FlightGear-package! :wink: :D
Thanks to Vivian Meazza, MD-Terp and the Salvage-project !
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby VicMar » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:20 pm

the welldeck will have doors which can be opened- for those who maybe creates a air cushined craft
I have modelled an SRN4 which I have animated using an AI demo file. I am sure someone else could either set up the necessary fdm if they have the skills, or alternatively set up an appropriate AI demo file for it. It is compliant with GNU GPL.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7283 ... hspray.mp4

If anyone would like a copy, I will make up the bundle of files into a zip, and put it on the downloads page of my weebly web site.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby abc123 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:08 pm

Hi I'm wondering how to put the package into flightgear what i did was i unzipped the package and put the folder into data/scenery/objects what am i doing wrong.

Thanks
abc123

Callsign: abc123

Next

Return to AI Traffic