Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

2 FGFS instances / 1 win7 running same time with MP?

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

2 FGFS instances / 1 win7 running same time with MP?

Postby ot-666 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:01 pm

I tried starting to instances of FGFS on one computer and get them both connected to MP.
System is win7 64bit / fgfs GIT.

I tried starting to instances of FGFS on one computer and get them both connected to MP.
System is win7 64bit / fgfs GIT.

Both instances run (45fps for each of them with 1680x1050) but only the first one I start is shown on the MP map. I can see the MP messages on both instances but the second one is not visible in the first FGFS and the second one shows no MP aircraft. Both FGFS runs with the same parameters (except the call sign and start up position).

What am I doing wrong?

Best regards, Oliver
Callsign: ot-666
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
VMX22 - Osprey... sometimes in 2014
ot-666

IRC name: ot666
Version: GIT

Re: 2 FGFS instances / 1 win7 running same time with MP?

Postby Hooray » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:11 pm

Depends. You didn't really provide any useful information about your configuration.
How did you set up multiplayer for both instances?

Please realize that a socket connection requires not only an IP address, but also a port number for each side of the link - imagine a port number like a "mailbox" sitting at the address. This mailbox is used by the communicating processes to send out and receive "messages".

Different processes (even when possibly identical programs) will need to use different port numbers when running. Because open ports (=mailboxes) cannot be shared.

Thus, you need to modify the client-side port settings for each additional instance that you are running on the same machine.
I think this was previously discussed here on the forums, at least I seem to recall having posted an example configuration file some time ago. But maybe I was also reading this on the wiki.

Anyway, it's simple enough to do, just change the local port settings for each additional instance, so that a working link can be established.

Also, in general you may want to increase the log level to get help with such issues.
And I would have assumed that the second instance should display some multiplayer related errors or warnings in the console window?

Let me know if you need any additional help setting this up, besides it would probably make sense to update the wiki documentation with a paragraph about running multiple instances on the same machine?
Please do feel free to reuse my postings for this purpose!
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Re: 2 FGFS instances / 1 win7 running same time with MP?

Postby ot-666 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Hooray wrote:Depends. You didn't really provide any useful information about your configuration.
How did you set up multiplayer for both instances?

I used fgrun to start each fgfs and changed just the call sign and start up position on the second one.

Please realize that a socket connection requires not only an IP address, but also a port number for each side of the link - imagine a port number like a "mailbox" sitting at the address. This mailbox is used by the communicating processes to send out and receive "messages".

Different processes (even when possibly identical programs) will need to use different port numbers when running. Because open ports (=mailboxes) cannot be shared.

Stupid me I should have realised that. :oops:

Thus, you need to modify the client-side port settings for each additional instance that you are running on the same machine.
I think this was previously discussed here on the forums, at least I seem to recall having posted an example configuration file some time ago. But maybe I was also reading this on the wiki.

Anyway, it's simple enough to do, just change the local port settings for each additional instance, so that a working link can be established.

Works - setting the input port of the second fgfs instance to 5001 and the input of the first fgfs instance to 5000. :D

Also, in general you may want to increase the log level to get help with such issues.
And I would have assumed that the second instance should display some multiplayer related errors or warnings in the console window?

Let me know if you need any additional help setting this up, besides it would probably make sense to update the wiki documentation with a paragraph about running multiple instances on the same machine?
Please do feel free to reuse my postings for this purpose!

I will get myself a wiki account and do that.
Big thanks for the help.

Oliver
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
VMX22 - Osprey... sometimes in 2014
ot-666

IRC name: ot666
Version: GIT

Return to Interfacing