Board index FlightGear Development New features

Visualising crashes in FG

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Visualising crashes in FG

Postby ChocBoy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:13 pm

nickyivyca wrote:Have we mentioned sparks? If you look closely, you can see the sparks in this picture, on the tailstrike:

I have the same effect on the engines, but I haven't been able to do a successful gear-up landing.

This is one thing that I have on my features wish list. With the exception of X-Plane , very little sims support universal belly/water landings. We'd be able to recreate the Hudson River if we had this capability. Even in FSX, you can't land on water.
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Callsign: ChocBoy

Postby Tuxklok » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:16 pm

Curious about the sparks on a 787. I mean it's all composite is it not, would it actually throw sparks?
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby redneck » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:22 pm

Well, some parts are composed of metal actually, and varying kinds too. I remember there was a chart on Boeing's site depicting what particular sections of the plane were made of. Maybe Nick should look into that, b/c if that area is just carbon fiber, I doubt it would throw any sparks, but it's nice to see that's possible in FG, at least without resulting in an immediate crash.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

crash details

Postby teh warlock » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:43 pm

Hey Guys i was thinking for a while now if there would be an easier way to make a crashed aircraft break apart and catch on fire and just look more realistic when crashing and not just stick up out of the ground i was thinking about editing a model and just pretty much cut off parts and delete and scatter them but that seems a bit primitive for what FG is capable of does anybody have an ideas of how this would work? my guess would be that it has to be implemented into the aircraft's animation .xml but as you know im not good at that kinda stuff.

Cheers!
remember this: when in doubt ask skyop.
teh warlock

IRC name: tehwarlock
Version: git

Postby Hooray » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:45 pm

There are various possible ways for making crashes appear somewhat more realistic, we talked about possible methods for doing this about a year ago: http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewto ... d=a#p28308

As you'll see, back then I was also thinking in terms of using different models (parts), animations and sub models for modeling the "crash".

But doing this would be far from realistic, it would be more about entertainment/gaming.
To make such things work and look more realistically, an approach like Rigs of Rods would need to be used.

To do this right, one would then also need a different way for creating aircraft, to specify hull structure, material properties etc

But there are apparently now several people interested in this sort of thing (just think in terms of the bombable or missile addons).

Also see: http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewto ... art=0&st=0
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Previous

Return to New features