Board index FlightGear Development New features

Flightgear for PS3!!!

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Flightgear for PS3!!!

Postby Quadunit404 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:56 am

Oh, and here's another reason why this will ultimately fail: almost everyone who owns a PS3 is like this:

Typical PS3 owner wrote:- durr i liek 1080p grafix
- ooh wut kinda gaem is dis
- *Looks at copy of FlightGear for the PS3* "flight simulator" durr wat meens flait symyoolaetoer
- *Starts playing* WTF DIS GAEM HAZ NOE 1080P GRAFIX OR FANSI PARTICUL FX OR ASPLOSIONS IT SUXX
- DUH GRAFISX SUXXXXXXXX IVANNA GOE BAK TO MAH FANSI 1080P GRAFIX AND FANSI PATRICUL FX I GIEV DIS GAEM A 0/10 BECUZ TEH GRAFIX SUXORZ
- *Crashes plane* Ooh prit-t asplosion...

I'm not kidding, almost all of them (and by that I mean at least 95%) <3 fancy 1080p HD graphics, fancier particle effects, and giant explosions :lol: :wink:

(Update: Fixed the part after he picked up FG for PS3, as that seemed more along the lines of what the console fanboy depicted would say... :wink: )
Last edited by Quadunit404 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quadunit404

Postby ChocBoy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:33 am

I agree. Half of my school is addicted to COD4 (I'm pretty proud I don't even have xBox), and it really pisses me off how they all talk about the warplanes in it thinking they are fighter jet experts:

Gamer: "Yeah, dude, the Harrier is awesome! It can hover! And it can hover above you to drop an airdrop!"
Me: "FYI, the Harrier only hovers during landing and has a horrible payload, and also is considered a STOVL aircraft, which utilizes short runways."

Gamer: "Man, that AC-130 is the best plane ever. Bet I could fly one"
Me: FYI, the AC-130 is one of the least produced Hercules' in the USAF inventory, and is seldom used.

Gamer: "I GOT A PREDATOR MISSILE! ITS AWESOME! IM GONNA CALL THEM IN WHEN I JOIN THE MARINES!"
Me: There is NO SUCH THING as a predator missile!

Gamer: "I know everything about UAVs"
Me: No, you don't.

Just gets really annoying; people constantly bragging about "how we all know everything about military aviation" when they don't even know what a throttle is (and yes, that is true! Someone said it was a trigger for ejecting!)
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Callsign: ChocBoy

Postby redneck » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:08 am

OMG LOL. I can't believe I ever thought of myself as a gamer. I thought it was funny to be able to fly real low and blow up tanks, trucks, AAAs, etc. by firing up the AB.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby Quadunit404 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:24 am

I am a gamer too, have been one since 1996 and up until now gaming was enjoyable. Now it's flooded with fanboys, console wars, promotion of fancy HD graphics and fancier also-HD particle effects,, DRM (especially that much -"loved" SecuROM BS), and a normal conversation on, say, YouTube breaking out into a flame war between console fanboys that ultimately gets nowhere at all in the blink of an eye I wonder why people still enjoy gaming.

Maybe it's for the fun of it all, but right now there's just so many problems with gaming. I often find me asking myself whatever happened to the good old days (aka the 1990s). I would forgo gaming for flight simulation exclusively if I ever wanted to.
Quadunit404

Postby redneck » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:35 am

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think of myself as a gamer still, but I tend to separate myself from all that. I really can't believe that all anyone seems to care about anymore is the graphics. What ever happened to gameplay. That's the most important part of a game. It's what makes it fun. But you knew that already :wink: The only problem I would have with getting rid of all my games and dedicating all I get back (I'd sell it all of course) to making my FG experience better would be that a lot of the skies are still rather lonely. Sometimes even on VATSIM. That, and when I get pissed off, it's just so satisfying to run around with a gun and BOOM HEADSHOT, killing virtual Nazis.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby Quadunit404 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:35 am

Oh, one last thing... that casual stuff created by Nintendo. This is strongest on the Wii. You practically need to fish to find a good game with decent enough graphics and awesome gameplay. Most of the time, though, the good games won't bite, because they are surrounded by a sea of awful casual games that were probably made in 5 days using Visual Basic and a basic 3D modeling program.

And yeah, there's nothing more satisfying than going BOOM HEADSHOT on something :wink:
Quadunit404

Postby simbabeat » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:54 pm

I find I really like the EA sports games. Especially the Fifa series. You don't have to be a 14 year old boy with ADHD to play them and they give quite a nice diversion when you don't want to be on the computer.
simbabeat

Postby ChocBoy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:25 pm

simbabeat wrote:I find I really like the EA sports games. Especially the Fifa series. You don't have to be a 14 year old boy with ADHD to play them and they give quite a nice diversion when you don't want to be on the computer.

Definitely. FIFA and NHL are very nice.

Regarding the "gamer" issue: I don't think you guys realize how addicted my town is to XBOX. A lot of you guys are 16+ and are able to moderate yourselves, but for some reason, everyone in my town (and that includes adults) can't get off of that darn COD4. Students in my grade literally go home and game until dinner; never do any homework at all. Which is why I vowed to NEVER get an Xbox. FlightGear is fun, but you don't get sucked into it; you do it by your own choice.

I really realized how big the problem was when people actually skipped school to get Modern Warfare 2 when it came out. They showed up at 12 PM midnight and spent the entire next day gaming. Pretty pathetic. Anyway, the point is that 30-50 percent of the kids in my school game over 5 hours a day. I don't get how their parents let them do that; when they get to College, they'd better get ahold of themselves.

By the way: as I am pretty Xbox-illiterate, what does it mean when you have "days" on a game? One kid was bragging about having "60 days and a half of COD".
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Postby simbabeat » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:31 pm

I have an xbox, although I'm a bit old for one. Well, maybe not to old. I've never heard of days. That must be game specific. Ya the only non flight-sim games that I will play are sports titles. They are quite a good diversion.
simbabeat

Postby ChocBoy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:53 pm

I found out what "Days" are. Turns out that it's actually the time you've spent on just one game. It starts out with minutes and goes to hours...and then days. I find it VERY disturbing that people have spent 70 days of their life playing XBOX!
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Postby teh warlock » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:59 am

simbabeat wrote:Well why don't you donate about a million USD and then possibly we could. And even then. NO. NO and no. It's just not something we should spend our time on. Is there a single flight sim for gaming consoles? (besides the little fighter ones) The answer is no. Because flight sims are for computers.

No.

No.

No.

NO.

Cheers

Jet de Go for PS2 But its in chineese and us ps2 consoles would have to be moded with a simple chip and the 1 face panel replaced packing about a 19 dollar fine :)
remember this: when in doubt ask skyop.
teh warlock

IRC name: tehwarlock
Version: git

Postby Quadunit404 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:44 am

The first flight simulator I ever owned was Air (Ace) Combat for the PlayStation. I didn't have any member of the PlayStation family until 2006 (which is ironically the year the original PS1 was discontinued), so I had it 11 years after the original release. It wasn't until Ace Combat 6 in 2007 when I was interested in flight. Before then I was interested in stuff like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon (only to retire a few years later after 10 years of playing), and whatever else that's good that you can find on a Nintendo console as those were, up until I got the PSX, the only consoles I had.

Now I have all three current-generation consoles and am a heavy gamer. Oh, and I use my PC for gaming too, now. I got back into PC gaming in 2009, a few months after retiring from Pokemon.
Quadunit404

Postby teh warlock » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:50 am

I started gaming 2 weeks ago playing GTA-VC and COD4-MW and im addicted......... What if somebody could work on the fire for aircraft and animate the fuse breaking apart on crashes and the charred remains of the airplane like ive been contemplating for the last 2 years but have no knowledge to do so

- Written On Ipod Touch
remember this: when in doubt ask skyop.
teh warlock

IRC name: tehwarlock
Version: git

Postby Arthur Maiden » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:31 pm

dunno what youre talking about i have linux on my PS3 250GB Slim, but it required a lot of messing about with the internal hard drive, i cant remember the specifics, but it on the internet somewhere... it also requires buying a few things from a few internet websites i think, but its worth it, personaly
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Callsign: G-PHEN
AVA Callsign: AVA0016 - RETIRED
The development of the S92 has infected my Avatar...
Arthur Maiden

Callsign: G-PHEN
Version: GIT

Postby Quadunit404 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:15 am

Sony removed the OtherOS feature in PS3 OS Version 3.21. When I finally decided to upgrade the OS version on my PS3 (v3.15 - v3.30) I had to forgo OtherOS.

Also, I read somewhere recently that PowerPC (the architecture used by the processors that power the Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360) only delivers 1/3 of the power an Intel or AMD processor of the same clock speed can deliver. The Xenon (Xbox 360) and Cell (PS3) processors, even with their three cores and 3.2GHz clock speed, are the equivalents of a single-core 1.6GHz Pentium 4 :lol: , therefore putting the final nail in FlightGear PS3's coffin... and also rendering all the power Sony and Microsoft fanboys have been claiming invalid, because their preferred console is powered by the PPC equivalent of a 1.6GHz single-core Pentium 4, which is not very powerful to begin with :wink: (and that also means my laptop is more powerful than both my PS3 and Xbox 360 :lol: )
Quadunit404

PreviousNext

Return to New features