Board index FlightGear Development AI Traffic

Missiles with seeking capabilities

Intelligent, computer controlled vehicles that drive/fly over the planet!

Missiles with seeking capabilities

Postby jack » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:40 am

Is it possible to arm a plane in FG with SEEKING missiles?????? The A-10 has Aim-9's but they don't appear to seek or lock on. I would love to see the missiles in the F-14B work. I'll work with anyone on creating this if they don't mind. :roll:
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1
Version: GIT

Re: Missiles with seeking capabilities

Postby glazmax » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:23 am

XXX pilot of the caribbean - bones and porters XXX
glazmax

Callsign: jettoo/OE-JTO
Version: cvs

Postby Hooray » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:28 pm

For multiplayer and AI traffic aircraft this should be fairly easy to do, just by creating an AI object that is driven by a Nasal script, which in turn tracks a GPS position that it gets from the property tree. You might want to move this discussion to the AI subforum.

So your "missile" would end up being an AI object that is controlled from a Nasal script, which would try to track an AI/MP aircraft.

Note however that this would be client-specific, the AI traffic stuff is not yet exposed via the multiplayer system, so this approach would enable you to fire a missile at an MP/AI aircraft, but the MP aircraft would not necessarily get to see your missile without explicit coding (and the same script running on the client-side there).

For some more pointers, you may want to look into this: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5900
Last edited by Hooray on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby jack » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:49 pm

Ok, so I was thinking we could modify the aim-9 file from the A-10, being part of the work is already done for us. :) Then we could just add the modified A-10 file into planes like the tomcat, F-4(with dave's permission!), etc. I don't know much about nasal script though... :shock: What I do know a bit about is .xml for making ai traffic, wingman scenarios, and dogfighting scenarios. :D Also, I think we should change the firing noise of the missile, and find a more realistic one. :wink:

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Postby jack » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Also, how do I move the location of this topic? :shock:

jack
Retired

Postby F22-killed-you » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:54 pm

jackmermod wrote:Also, how do I move the location of this topic? :shock:

Don't worry, a mod already did.
Google it!
Results 1 - 10 of about 351,000 for MSFS. (0.41 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 6,480,000 for FlightGear. (0.07 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 137,000 for Flightprosim. (0.31 seconds)
F22-killed-you

Postby jack » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:12 pm

Ok, I think that the missiles on the f-14b would be a good place to start. If you notice, the HUD will lock onto other vehicles already, so maybe if someone could help me make a nasal file and link it to the HUD with key bindings or whatever... :shock:

jack
Retired

Postby xiii » Thu May 13, 2010 10:18 am

Hi,

I'm currently (but slowly) working on the f-14b. ATM every thing is in place to simulate an AIM-9 operation from armament panel and switches to the time the missile locks and try keeping its lock on the first target seen by its seeker, and it is already fun. Note: this is not yet available for testing.

That was the first step. Next one is spanning an AI or a submodel with its own guidance system.

Alexis
If the engines are Pratt and Whitney, the seats best be Martin Baker
xiii

Postby jack » Thu May 13, 2010 3:10 pm

That's good progress! Is there anything I can do to help? :D

jack
Retired

Postby luftikus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:41 am

xiii wrote:That was the first step. Next one is spanning an AI or a submodel with its own guidance system.

I'll try this part from next week on. If you're not faster. ;)
luftikus

Postby jack » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:45 am

I have an updated A-10, with much better missiles, if you want to work on them.(They require the Davepack) :D

Here is the direct download link: http://alpha-jshangar.yolasite.com/resources/A-10.zip

jack
Retired

Postby xiii » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:54 pm

luftikus wrote:
xiii wrote:That was the first step. Next one is spanning an AI or a submodel with its own guidance system.

I'll try this part from next week on. If you're not faster. ;)

Well, the AI are created, under the right pylons and the missile now flies as could fly a submodel, excepted that it is powered by a 30 sec. 230 lbs thrust rocket engine (i didn't found data about drag and thrust, so they are mostly guessed). Drag, gravity and pitch are done. Yaw isn't modeled yet.
It reaches 2.5 M in 2 sec if launched at 0.8 M. I never seen it faster than 2.65 M. My problem now is to reuse the code I made first for the seeker of the sidewinder before launch without duplicating it in another place. This is just code cleaning and reorganization, but it can be long. All of this is in the usual un-readable-un-maintainable xiii's nasal code TM.

An other problem is I didn't find a way to stop the smoke trail (particles) after the 30 sec boost duration. Perhaps this could be done with several AIM-9 models xml files, though I don't like this idea.

For the physics I used mostly equations found in AIBallistic.cxx andAIBase.cxx. This is a good place to start.

There is still a lot to do, but at that point we already have the thruster advantage over regular submodels.

Good luck :-)
Alexis
xiii

Postby jack » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:01 pm

Are we able to get e test version? :P What plane did you put these on? Good work! :D

jack
Retired

Postby xiii » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:04 pm

jackmermod wrote:Are we able to get e test version? :P What plane did you put these on? Good work! :D

There is still a lot to do before letting it out. At least the guidance must be working before a test release.

The first proto is running on the f-14b, then I'll try to make it more packaged before adding it to A-10 and may be the f16.

And thanks, but you better wait and see before :-)

Alexis
xiii

Postby jack » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:54 pm

Sorry, I got a little anxious there. :roll:

jack
Retired

Next

Return to AI Traffic