Board index FlightGear Development New features

Flightgear for PS3!!!

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Flightgear for PS3!!!

Postby Rick Ace » Sat May 29, 2010 11:36 pm

Wouldn't it be awesome to have FG for the PS3? ;D You can use wireless controllers to control your plane more like a real piolet. Hey, FG can even make it's own joystick. Plus internet is no problem for the PS3, and it may have less lags. Do you think it is possible? :mrgreen:

(If my question is totally crazy, which I fear it is, my apologies :( )
Rick Ace

Callsign: rickace
Version: 2.6.0

Re: Flightgear for PS3!!!

Postby Tuxklok » Sun May 30, 2010 12:14 am

Rick Ace wrote:You can use wireless controllers to control your plane more like a real piolet.

Is that an Airbus pilot? :D

But sure. You only need to come up with like 6 figures or so ($$), convince sony your serious and it's worthwhile, sign nda's, etc...and then mayyyyyybbeeee they'd grant you a dev-kit. After that you only need to port flightgear to a radically different embedded architecture with limited resources, get a publisher, sell a million copies to get you out of the red, etc. You'd also have to find some kind of magic method of complying with the GPL and your agreements with Sony at the same time.

Good luck, cheers! :mrgreen:
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby ChocBoy » Sun May 30, 2010 4:40 am

I have this fantasy of one day, making a titanic-sized, gigantic, combined-game that brings together a bunch of games. Basically, it's Call of Duty, but with FlightGear being the air support and such. Imagine how great that would be!
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Callsign: ChocBoy

Postby simbabeat » Sun May 30, 2010 4:57 am

Well why don't you donate about a million USD and then possibly we could. And even then. NO. NO and no. It's just not something we should spend our time on. Is there a single flight sim for gaming consoles? (besides the little fighter ones) The answer is no. Because flight sims are for computers.

No.

No.

No.

NO.

Cheers
simbabeat

Postby Tuxklok » Sun May 30, 2010 5:12 am

FlightGear on the iphone / ipad would be pretty neat though...and is actually possible if someone had the urge to do it (not me).

cheers

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Postby simbabeat » Sun May 30, 2010 5:23 am

Ya that is the only thing I think is reasonable. It is very easy to make apps for iPhone/iPad/iTouch and we already have all the frameworks for it in the the mac build of flightgear.
simbabeat

Postby ChocBoy » Sun May 30, 2010 4:43 pm

There's no way the iPod touch could handle the full FG version. While believe it or not the memory is actually more than enough, the processer would not be able to run it.

However, there ARE a few things that we could put in for FlightGear:

1. A scaled-down version, sort of like X-Plane for iPhone. (I don't reccomend it, by the way. Way too hard to fly)

2. It would be really nice to have reference things for FlightGear, all in one app:

-An MP Map app to see who's flying (an easy reference so you don't have to constantly be clicking between tabs and FlightGear, right in your hand).
-A Route/ILS finder, so you can reference your waypoints/frequencies at any time.
-A checklist app for all the aircraft that require some tinkering at the beginning (e.g. the 744 and 787).
-A developer email list update that covers the most important dev activity in the past week. I think this would be great for the computer, too, because it's kind of hard to keep track of what's going on if you're not a developer. This is sort of like the CVS Section the newsletter.
-FG Wiki?
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Callsign: ChocBoy

Postby simbabeat » Sun May 30, 2010 4:57 pm

Ya it would have to be a scaled down version.
simbabeat

Postby Rick Ace » Sun May 30, 2010 6:32 pm

I wasn't aware of the costs :P
Rick Ace

Postby Blender3D » Mon May 31, 2010 5:09 pm

Costs? Why not using Linux on a PS3? The you could port FG easily.

--Blender3D
Fly one of the biggest rotary wing aircraft the world has seen so far! --> Get the newest version now! (http://gitorious.org/mil-mi-6/mi6dev/archive-tarball/master or "git clone git://gitorious.org/mil-mi-6/mi6dev.git")
Blender3D

Postby simbabeat » Mon May 31, 2010 5:14 pm

Rick Ace wrote:I wasn't aware of the costs :P

And who is going to re-code just about every single file? You up for it? Go ahead.

Blender3D wrote:Costs? Why not using Linux on a PS3? The you could port FG easily.

--Blender3D

That would work. I would be interested to see the results if someone did that.
simbabeat

Postby Tuxklok » Mon May 31, 2010 6:36 pm

Blender3D wrote:Costs? Why not using Linux on a PS3? The you could port FG easily.

Dunno if anything is changed in this area, but last I checked Linux on the PS3 did not have hardware accelerated OpenGL.

Tuxklok

Postby Quadunit404 » Mon May 31, 2010 6:57 pm

--Blender3D

Linux on the PS3 didn't have OpenGL support, and now that Linux on the PS3 doesn't exist anymore due to Sony Corp. failing to keep their word about "phat" PS3s keeping the Other OS feature and removing it (they claimed the reason why was because of a "security issue" even though it required you to modify the internals of your PS3) it isn't possible.

Believe me, I own a 40GB PS3 myself and it would NOT be worth it :|
Quadunit404

Postby Rick Ace » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:41 pm

Welll, computers cannot be replaced
Rick Ace

Postby Quadunit404 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:07 am

True, although Sony's tagline for the PS3 is that it "only does everything".

Now that you can't install a painfully slow Linux distribution with no 3D support on your PS3 it no longer does everything :wink:
Quadunit404

Next

Return to New features