Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

More or less Permanent MUMBLE server for Flightgear

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

More or less Permanent MUMBLE server for Flightgear

Postby Zexe » Sun May 30, 2010 2:58 pm

Here is an alternative to FGcom. It is called mumble: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

Once you install it, you can add a new server and input into server: tdulive.dyndns.tv
Server name can be Flightgear, and port should be default. Input your callsign and click ok, join the server and then accept the certificate. You need to click and drag your name into the Flightgear channel. After that, you should be good to go. You should definitely go thru the audio wizard and the options to setup mumble the way you want it.

Hope to hear your voices soon!

-zexe

PS There are two channels, GAMUSHARA and FLIGHTGEAR, GAMUSHARA is Japanese based and so you'd probably want to avoid it. Please stick to Flightgear. Thanks!

***It is important that you literally click and drag your name in mumble to the channel FLIGHTGEAR or else you will never be able to interact with others.***
Zexe
AIRPORTS: CYYJ, KHAF, RJTT, KEYW
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
Zexe

Re: More or less Permanent MUMBLE server for Flightgear

Postby nickyivyca » Sun May 30, 2010 8:01 pm

Is this connected or independent from FGCom?
Personal Fleet: 787-8, CRJ-200, 737-300, MD-81, DHC-3A, Beechcraft Starship
New hangar!
Curent projects: New 787, New CRJ-200, DC-9, New 777-200ER FDM
nickyivyca

Callsign: Nick, ---206
Version: 2

Postby Vodoun da Vinci » Mon May 31, 2010 1:21 am

Cool idea back in the day before FGCom got the GUI...what is the advantage to using Mumble now as opposed to using FGCom? :?

I'm not sure how this splitting of voice communications in FGFS is going to benefit anyone in the long run. Especially since a lot of current events are already using FGCom as the default voice communications. FGCom works perfectly for me and is virtually stupid proof thanks to Tuxklok. But it's an interesting variation.

Thanks for sharing!

VooDoo
FGFS version 2.4.0 on Windows 7
Primarily Flying Warbirds, Jet and Prop - Visit: http://www.fguk.eu
VooDoo's FGFS/FGUK Movies!: http://www.youtube.com/user/VooDoodaVinci?feature=mhee
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
A. Einstein
Vodoun da Vinci
Retired

Postby Zexe » Mon May 31, 2010 2:41 am

nickyivyca wrote:Is this connected or independent from FGCom?

It is independent for a reason.
Zexe
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
Zexe

Postby Zexe » Mon May 31, 2010 3:29 am

Vodoun da Vinci wrote:Cool idea back in the day before FGCom got the GUI...what is the advantage to using Mumble now as opposed to using FGCom? :?

I'm not sure how this splitting of voice communications in FGFS is going to benefit anyone in the long run. Especially since a lot of current events are already using FGCom as the default voice communications. FGCom works perfectly for me and is virtually stupid proof thanks to Tuxklok. But it's an interesting variation.

Thanks for sharing!

VooDoo

FGcom uses a private server. Whoever is running FGcom puts their hard earned money into keeping the server up and running. This also means that the setting of FGcom is controlled by this person. So sound quality is intentionally degraded and the only air to air frequency available is 122.75 (123.45 never worked). From an old discussion, we wanted more air to air frequencies, MD-Terp came up with a great idea of using the 900 frequencies as air to air casual talk. Like you said Vodoun Da Vinci, FGcom GUI has made life easier, but it also meant that a lot more chit-chat was going on 122.75 or TWR channels. By implementing more casual channels, we could choose which channel to chit-chat on without having to break any FG so called IFR rules. However, MD-Terps idea of having more air to air channels was shot down, and I decided to end the debate by setting up a Mumble server, which was temporarily running, but now it is permanent.
Here is the thread:
http://flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1134&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=225

Why Mumble? Mumble is free, just as good as FGcom, it has better voice quality, can use PTT or voice activated mic, can overlay your names onto your active screen so you know who is speaking, can create different channels, and can be used for almost anything without stirring up any FG issues. Mumble is an alternative to FGcom, it isn't suppose to replace FGcom.

A buddy pilot of mine, Someguy can't use FGcom GUI, and so relies on Mumble. I am pretty sure others can't use FGcom GUI and need to Mumble.

I have been to many of these events Vodoun Da Vinci, when FGcom seems to break down on people, wouldn't it be nice to have a backup? Wouldn't it be nice to chit-chat on a long leg without interfering with others on 122.75?

I'm not sure how this splitting of voice communications in FGFS is going to benefit anyone in the long run.

Benefits? Mumble is meant to be an alternative voice communication app mainly for the use of casual talk. For TG events or flying club, FGcom would be the way to go. But let's say you want to chat, Mumble or 122.75 would be the way to go.

FGcom GUI is easy, Mumble is easier.

-Zexe
Zexe
Zexe

Postby Michat » Mon May 31, 2010 3:45 am

I found in Mumble a good free software that complements FGCOM , even for southamerica users it results to be the only way to take contact because fgcom UK server is very far from these areas resulting in broken coms.
I found this problem with FGCOM especially in people from Brasil and Uruguay, maybe because their internet connection speed is low. For this reason I think many of them use Skype (with servers around the world) when mumble can be a freesoftware alternative for it.

Thanks for sharing
Michat.
Last edited by Michat on Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Tuxklok » Mon May 31, 2010 4:29 am

I don't think there is anything wrong with mumble, and it's actually quite nice of zexe to put up a server for flightgear users who want or need to use it.

For me I prefer FGCOM because of it's tight integration with flightgear, and hey it works great for me. When I use a voice client I'm usually talking to people I'm flying with, so global chat isn't really an issue at all for me. And with a 100nm range it's pretty hard for me to find a place where I can't find a frequency to use with people I'm flying with, or atc if it's available. I recognize others have other needs and requirements though, and mumble is a good open source and cross platform voip software that may be what they need.

About the intentional degradation of FGCOM audio, I've heard it from people before, but does anyone have a pointer to evidence of that? FGCOM may not do super high bit rate encoding, but I'm not sure it's actually trying to degrade the audio for some strange reason. Except for people with poor connections and/or poor quality microphones, people usually come through with pretty good quality.

cheers..thanks zexe!
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby MD-Terp » Mon May 31, 2010 5:16 am

Tuxklok wrote:About the intentional degradation of FGCOM audio, I've heard it from people before, but does anyone have a pointer to evidence of that?

My understanding is that it is a future goal to degrade transmission quality with distance, to better simulate radio range limitations. As of now I don't think there is any degrading going on. I could be wrong.
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Postby Lukosius » Mon May 31, 2010 9:27 am

MD-Terp wrote:
Tuxklok wrote:About the intentional degradation of FGCOM audio, I've heard it from people before, but does anyone have a pointer to evidence of that?

My understanding is that it is a future goal to degrade transmission quality with distance, to better simulate radio range limitations. As of now I don't think there is any degrading going on. I could be wrong.

Well I'm about as far away as you can get and I generally don't notice a problem, and I'm sure the same could be said for people listening to me.

There are certainly issues with FGCom, and we have all experienced them. But I don't believe they are distance related.
Callsign: Lukosius (or Lukosiu if you only see 7 characters)
Preferred Aircraft: 777-200ER, 787, IL-96, MD-81, Citation X, B1900d, DHC6, Seneca II
Physical Location: Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
Lukosius

Callsign: Lukosiu, AVA0017
Version: 2_4

Postby Zexe » Mon May 31, 2010 9:42 am

If you were to use mumble, you'd notice a big difference in the quality of people's voices. When I used FGcom, Yakko seemed to always have a stuffy nose (sorry Yakko), but when he used Mumble his voice was bright and clear as a fair weather sky.
Maybe FGcom just needs to increase the sound bitrate.
Zexe
Zexe

Postby Vodoun da Vinci » Mon May 31, 2010 12:45 pm

I appeciate the explaination... :D

I have used Mumble before I got FGCom to work for me...I find FGCom to be very well intergrated into FGFS and kind of view it as a natural extension of the "Simulator" nature of FGFS. Another service meant specifically for chat seems a good idea especially so that regular FGCom ATC communications don't get swamped by chatters. :D

As I think about it, there have been numerous times I have wanted to use 122.75 but it was so overcrowded that speaking hardly seemed possible. So another option seems like a good idea to keep the socializing from "piling up" at 122.75.

Thanks, Zexe. :D

VooDoo
VooDoo's FGFS/FGUK Movies!: http://www.youtube.com/user/VooDoodaVinci?feature=mhee
A. Einstein
Vodoun da Vinci
Retired

Postby Tuxklok » Mon May 31, 2010 3:51 pm

Zexe wrote:If you were to use mumble, you'd notice a big difference in the quality of people's voices. When I used FGcom, Yakko seemed to always have a stuffy nose (sorry Yakko), but when he used Mumble his voice was bright and clear as a fair weather sky.
Maybe FGcom just needs to increase the sound bitrate.

I have used mumble in the past. Even with some flightgear users, back before I started working on fgcom and it was barely usable for most people outside of Linux. It does have good quality voice, however fgcom is more than good enough for me as well. Most people sound quite clear and I have no trouble hearing or understanding them..unless it's a heavy accent or bad mic or connection or something.

My biggest turnoff for Mumble at the time (and now too I guess), is it's lack of integration with flightgear. Another issue I had with Mumble, and maybe it has changed in the year or so since then, was it's inability to use a joystick button for ptt on Linux. Also, at the time we didn't want to divide the community on voip applications, as there was very very few people using it all. The consensus was to focus on fgcom, making it easier to use and getting more people using it, in an eventual push towards more realistic communications and ATC services. Which so far has succeeded far more than I had ever hoped...so much so that yes, 122.75 is now too crowded for everyone to use like it was back when like 3 people used fgcom. However FGCOM is meant to try and simulate realistic radio communications, not global chatter. Even 122.75 is only global due to how fgcom works in it's current state, if it were truly range limited like a real radio, and future version of fgcom were supposed to be, you wouldn't even have that. For global chatter, talking to anyone anywhere, something like mumble is the application designed for that.

FGCOM is probably strong enough now that we don't have to worry as much about dividing the community anymore. I hope so anyway, as I'd hate to lose what we've managed to build so far.

cheers!
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby Vodoun da Vinci » Mon May 31, 2010 7:40 pm

Is there any way to integrate Mumble into FGFS the way that FGCom has been integrated? It's be cool to have the option..if doing ATC and all that then, of course, FGCom would be the best choice. If just flying to be social then the pilots could choose Mumble in order not to dilute FGCom frequencies or clog 122.75 to chat.

I'd love to volunteer to do that but I'm basically illiterate in programming. I have managed to hack some AI scenarios and paint a few airplanes but this is something I really have no idea of how to do or even if it can be done. :oops:

Would it *be* possible to create an FGFS integrated Mumble GUI like the FGCom GUI we already have? :?

VooDoo
A. Einstein
Vodoun da Vinci
Retired

Postby Zexe » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:24 am

Vodoun da Vinci wrote:Would it *be* possible to create an FGFS integrated Mumble GUI like the FGCom GUI we already have? :?

VooDoo

I don't think so, once mumble is turned on, you can put your name into different channels. The closest it is ever going to get to being incorporated into FG is the overlay of names which you can toggle on and off to your likings. Besides that, you won't have the choice to input a frequency in FG and have mumble register it.
Zexe
Zexe

Postby ChocBoy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:29 am

I don't know.....personally, I'm against having more than one voice thing. In fact, I'm for actually integrating a voice client into FGrun, and leaving it that way. It's already really rare to find someone on FGcom; why split the community into two?
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Callsign: ChocBoy

Next

Return to Multiplayer