Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Liveries

Livery database

Discussion of aircraft textures and liveries

Re: Livery database

Postby simbabeat » Fri May 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Well he could resize and then add detail.
simbabeat

Postby ZzerozZ » Fri May 14, 2010 9:05 pm

You are both correct.

1) Resizing in itself gives no benefit unless extra detail is added to the artwork already done.
2) Adding detail can be done, but will require going over a huge amount of work a second time; effectively re-doing the whole thing (for a third time), simply using the 1024 as a template.
There are many decals on this aircraft which I have produced, using original photographic evidence. This required tedious tampering of perspectives, angles, viewpoints, colours, contrasts, brightness levels etc., trying to match the result to the inaccurate original texture. And, through not anticipating the need to re-do this stuff, once I had completed what I needed to do for 1024 resolution and transferred onto the relevant .png files; I did not save the art files separately!
Also, increasing detail in any one area would necessitate work everywhere in order to justify doing it at all. (Because there would be obvious differences from one region to another). Much of this work has involved very careful aligning of new artwork over the original texture. - A very time consuming process when it is realized that the actual aircraft has a few discrepancies with Baranger's original work.

But there are other difficulties which leave me reluctant to resize. - I have worked on many of the files found in the 'Models' directory, not just the 'Livery' file. This includes separate files for propellers, engine internals, pilot, interior colours, glass, instrument panel (which also serves as a bulk-head) and so forth; which are all from the 'Models' directory, since they are common to all available liveries. And as yet, I do not know how to add a livery to the existing Models directory for it to become available in the flight menu, so I have had to keep swapping files over and renaming them each time, in order to test what I have done. (Please remember, I have never done any computer programming at all EVER! - only basic artwork and photographs).

I will know for future to begin work at high resolution although I still do not know how this would 'fit' onto the original parameters of Baranger's work. But having spent many many hours trying to understand how the files interact as well as which files to work on and then doing the extensive graphical modifications, this aircraft is going to remain at 1024 res! (Nonetheless, it is going to be highly accurate in most respects). :)
o0o0o0o... Everything is the cause of everything else. - Leonardo da Vinci ...o0o0o0o
ZzerozZ

Callsign: ZzerozZ

Postby simbabeat » Fri May 14, 2010 9:31 pm

does the B-25 have livery select anyone? That way he wouldn't have to keep switching.
simbabeat

Postby gooneybird » Fri May 14, 2010 10:11 pm

simbabeat wrote:does the B-25 have livery select anyone? That way he wouldn't have to keep switching.

Yes It does, I've already done a couple of liveries for it and had a few more planned.
My Github repository (mostly AI stuff) https://github.com/gooneybird47
gooneybird

Postby simbabeat » Fri May 14, 2010 10:27 pm

Ya so Zero, you can add it as a new livery so you don't have to keep switching. Do you know how to do that?
simbabeat

Postby ZzerozZ » Fri May 14, 2010 10:34 pm

Yes, it allows a selection of liveries from the drop down menu, after the aircraft appears on the runway.
But I do not know how to put my own in there, under a new name.

What I have been doing is removing the existing .png livery named 'basic', and replacing it with my own .png file, renaming it as 'basic' so as to replace the original each time because I do not know how to make my new livery appear in the menu.

Also, I do not know how I should submit the finished thing when it has involved working on many different files within the 'Model' directory. Should I send the whole, modified 'Models' directory to Gijs so that it can be an option to replace the original?

Sorry if I am asking some basic questions here but I really do not know how get around the fact that it is more than just the 'livery' file I have worked on. (And it matters for the overall effect to look right!)
o0o0o0o... Everything is the cause of everything else. - Leonardo da Vinci ...o0o0o0o
ZzerozZ

Postby ZzerozZ » Fri May 14, 2010 10:41 pm

Hi Simbabe, our messages must have crossed.

Believe me, if I knew how to do it, I promise you I would have done it by now!
If you are going to explain, please talk me through every step - in very simple language!
ZzerozZ

Postby simbabeat » Sat May 15, 2010 12:09 am

Ok well...

1. Name the .png file what the livery is called. (If for an airliner, the ICAO code) And place it where the other livery .png's are.
2. Duplicate one of the livery .xmls, doesn't matter which one.
3. Rename the duplicated .xml whatever, usually the same as the .png file
4. Open up that renamed .xml and replace whatever is in between <name type="string">___________</name>

(The long line is a fill in the blank)

5. Replace the file name in between here: <texture>etc/etc/etc/.png</texture>

That is the path to the file and then the file name. Usually it is in Models/Liveries but it depends. It is just the succession of folders it is in. Not that hard. If you place it where the other liveries are just use the same path and change the .png name.

Hope that helps!

Cheers
simbabeat

Postby ZzerozZ » Sat May 15, 2010 5:55 am

Perfect!

Your instructions became very clear when I began to go through the process you described. The result? - The whole process took me about one minute!! And within the next minute, I was selecting all the various liveries INCLUDING MY OWN !! - which allowed me to make instant comparisons between liveries. I can immediately see a couple of improvements I could make but I can also see that my efforts have been very worthwhile! Several of the things I was concerned about are clearly not a problem. Having all liveries selectable so easily, will make future work so much easier.

Thanks Simbabe. If you were here I'd buy you a crate of beer...

Cheers!
ZzerozZ

Postby simbabeat » Sat May 15, 2010 5:52 pm

Your welcome man! Most all planes have that these days so yo can do it for everything.

ZzerozZ wrote:Thanks Simbabe. If you were here I'd buy you a crate of beer...

Dangit! No one lives in Nashville :(
simbabeat

Postby ZzerozZ » Sat May 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Hahaha... Maybe you should come over to England!
ZzerozZ

Postby simbabeat » Sat May 15, 2010 7:41 pm

I should! Have been there before and I loved it. But anyway that is off topic.
simbabeat

Postby ZzerozZ » Sat May 15, 2010 9:22 pm

Oops...
ZzerozZ

Postby simbabeat » Sat May 15, 2010 10:28 pm

ZzerozZ wrote:Oops...

No big deal.
simbabeat

Postby statto » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:41 am

It appears http://liveries.flightgear.org/liveries.php needs to have the pagination fixed.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

PreviousNext

Return to Liveries