Board index FlightGear Support Flying Helicopter

Problems with Helicopter.

Helicopter flying is completely different from flying a fixed-wing aircraft and thus requires different skills.

Problems with Helicopter.

Postby Bravo-21 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Every time i get in one, i boot the engine up, and as soon as i push the thrust, it just spins continuously out of control. Any help?
Bravo-21

Callsign: Bravo-8

Re: Problems with Helicopter.

Postby HHS » Mon May 03, 2010 8:01 pm

Bravo-21 wrote:Every time i get in one, i boot the engine up, and as soon as i push the thrust, it just spins continuously out of control. Any help?

Well, everything which apllies to real helicopters in real life applies also to helicopters in FlightGear!

Indeed, the behaviour you noticed is simple physics! :wink: (And shows that MSFS is very unrealistic in simulating helicopters....)

The wiki is always your friend: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Flying_the_helicopter

I recommend you good pedals and joystick, and a lot of time. In real life you will need more than at least 40hours to learn to fly a helicopter safe enough to fly alone- in FGFS it isn't different to real life (even a bit harder)

Try the Bo105 first and the Bell UH1 from FlightGear Download page as they both are more easy to fly and both are the most realistic ones we have. (The UH-1 has been tested already by a real pilot)
Up, up and away
HHS
Retired

Version: GIT

Re: Problems with Helicopter.

Postby redneck » Mon May 03, 2010 9:01 pm

In helis, you must always start with the throttle set to full, then reduce slowly to takeoff.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Return to Helicopter