Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

MPserver12 & evils2 causing proplems to ALL MPserver + FGFS

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

MPserver12 & evils2 causing proplems to ALL MPserver + FGFS

Postby jomo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:07 am

I do not know enough about the interconnection between all MPservers, but that is what I found:

Doing ATC at EDDF yesterday (3/4/2010) on FGFS 1.9.1 (under Ubuntu) suddenly at about 2100 GMT the distance measurements did not work any more. In the Log Window is shown:
Nasal runtime error: floating point error in math.sin()
at /usr/share/FlightGear/data/Nasal/geo.nas, line 173
Checking my code, I found that this is caused by target "evils2", which I could not find in whole Europe. Via MPchat I found it in South-Africa, in the open water west of Nigeria, the MPchat data being:
evils2, c130, mpserver12, (0.0000, 0.0000)
By the way: The target has not moved the last 12 h! Anyhow: How does it get into my Pilot-List, showing usually just a 100 mi radius??

In the FGFS 1.9.1. Network-->Pilot-lis
t it is listed as:
callsign = evils2, model = (blank), hdg = 0, dist-nm = 0.00, alt-ft = nan
I guess this altitude "nan" is causing the problem!

By the way: Since then all targets in the PilotList show model=(blank), distance = 0, but altitude working OK (except "nan" for evils2).

In FGFS ver. 2. the PilotList cannot be opened at all (I guess it has a similar breakout like in my ATC-Program (floating-point-error).

PS: I was working in EDDF in MPserver08, but several coplayers verified the same happening at other MPservers!

Can anybody help -- for this instance and also against that happenings in future???
joe

===>> just see: Somebody fixed already.
But not sure if just the target "evils2" was removed or there was a real problem in MPservers!
Anyhow: Thank you very much for this super-fast reaction (fixed before reported!)

One addition: You MPserverGuys are really great: Last week I saw several times 75 active users - and it worked fine (1 year ago the limit was about 30). Real nice job!
joe
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Re: MPserver12 & evils2 causing proplems to ALL MPserver + FGFS

Postby Farmboy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:13 pm

Glad to hear it was fixed Joe.

Just as a side note, and I'm not sure when it (the following) started, but over the last few months for sure. I _think_ it's when I changed last fall from 1.9.x to CVS.
When a user "logs" in using MP, they spawn on mp map off the coast of Nigeria. Apparently everyone does this. If you happen to spawn in before mp map has refreshed itself to their actual location, you will see "Pilotxx: Hello" as if they spawned within 100 miles of your location. But, look at the map and/or your pilot list and you'll find them in some other part of the world.
Watch the mpmap for a few minutes and you'll see the spawn location off the Nigerian coast.
A number of times, and I don't see any pattern, I have to manually refresh my mp map to move my "blip" to the correct position.

Hasn't been a big deal at all so I have not raised any concerns about it. But, in case someone that knows anything about it was not aware of it, that's what I've seen.

Peter
Horsepower is just an illusion. Torque is the true answer.
Farmboy

Location: NorthEast New York State, and the rest of New England....

Postby simbabeat » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:26 pm

Yes I've always seen that. It's while FGFS is loading up the plane symbol is on the MPMAP there for about 10 seconds and then it goes to it's location.
simbabeat

Postby clrCoda » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:09 pm

The spawn off the coast of Africa is the loading of your plane into the map at co-ordinates 0 east 0 north. Or rather, one is first placed into the map at the equator latitude and the Greenwich longitude before the actual placement co-ordinates are loaded.

My respect
clrCoda
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Farmboy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:37 am

clrCoda wrote:The spawn off the coast of Africa is the loading of your plane into the map at co-ordinates 0 east 0 north. Or rather, one is first placed into the map at the equator latitude and the Greenwich longitude before the actual placement co-ordinates are loaded.

My respect
clrCoda

Why is this? In prior versions (1.9.1 for example) I don't recall it working that way - it just loaded the actual coordinates. (Or it didn't show you at 0,0 before the actual coordinates)

Peter
Farmboy

Postby simbabeat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:06 am

It was like that in 1.9.1 and as long as I can remember. You show up there as soon as the sim establishes connection with the server and then once the sim loads you go to the correct place on the map.
simbabeat

Postby Farmboy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Interesting it was for you, as it was not for me.

Peter.
Farmboy

Postby simbabeat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:28 pm

Farmboy wrote:Interesting it was for you, as it was not for me.

Peter.

Are you talking to me? I don't get it.
simbabeat

Postby clrCoda » Sat May 01, 2010 5:03 am

simbabeat wrote:
Farmboy wrote:Interesting it was for you, as it was not for me.

Peter.

Are you talking to me? I don't get it.

Interesting it was for me, as well.

clrCoda
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby clrCoda » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:10 am

simbabeat wrote:Yes I've always seen that. It's while FGFS is loading up the plane symbol is on the MPMAP there for about 10 seconds and then it goes to it's location.

Hi Simon :-) 10 seconds if your map refresh rate is 10 seconds... 5 if it is 5... lol 3 if it is 3. I've been using 3 second updates lately and this seems to have relaxed a hang that Google MP map was causing my total running system to endure, including hanging the running simulator. Of course, ymmv, but I had always assumed that one of the exploits includes being able to send some info to the Google map that would cause it to do ( fill in this blank) __________ and then that thing would happen in the map UNTIL refresh, 10 seconds, what ever. Long enough to interrupt the running simulator to do ( fill in this blank) __________ and I assume those things are like -- hang your service long enough for the terrrain buffer to overrun ( speculation here ), hang your service in such a way as to cause the AP to never relax from an oscillation, also oscillations in ap caused by the hang.

This is very much unproven, largely because the communities response to me finding these "things" has been less than ( pick several -- mature, intellegent, responsive, helpful, or even just plain kind and understanding ) and therefore I have lost much interest in helping fix these problems, but I have read enough posts, seen enough 'in-air' time to recognize these things as they develop. One thing that worked for me was reducing my map refresh rates to higher rates. lol reduce to higher, but it is true.

The other day a pilot mentioned just having changed his call sign was enough to fix many issues he was having, and being that the simulator appears to be not-prejudice to specific call signs I can only assume this prejudice exists in the minds of other multi-player users. Still, I am not really interested in those problems anymore, save to say that I would help anyone asking for help, were I capable to help.
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Return to Multiplayer