Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Boeing (McDonnell Douglas) F/A-18 Hornet

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Boeing (McDonnell Douglas) F/A-18 Hornet

Postby pauljs75 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:58 pm

Yep, I'm working on another mesh. Still a WIP now, but it'll get there. I can't say it's anything accurate though, since it's modeled from papercraft plans. :roll: But it's hard to resist as those had some nice fuselage cross-sections to work with.

ImageImage

Still a ways to go, control surfaces and compartments to work out. I could also separate all the turkey feathers on the engines too, if anyone's crazy enough to figure that out for the sim animation.
pauljs75

Postby grtux » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:04 am

Hello, pauljs75

Isn't it any other existing F18 From Mathias Fröhlich

and an other coming from Fabrice Kauffmann.

Regards
g.robin
LFMO
grtux

Postby pauljs75 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:08 am

Didn't know, since I'm not on the mailing list. (Besides, even if I was, I'd end up clearing all the spam instead and end up forgetting to look. :lol: ) Is there another list of aircraft in progress I don't know about?

Ah well... I'll finish it anyways and make it available regardless. (It doesn't hurt to get extra practice in.) Besides, I'm not sure how it compares level-of-detail wise to the other ones. Having more options on the table isn't a bad thing, is it?
pauljs75

UVmapped!

Postby pauljs75 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:10 am

In case anyone was wondering what took so long...

Mapped the main fuselage part. It takes a bit of extra work to do right in Wings because I wanted everything on the same map. That way all the parts stay in a common scale on the chart and mesh up nice. More or less it involves "segmenting" with materials before actual UV mapping. Then combine all the parts which will share the same map. Then assign selections based on the materials. Then do the actual segmenting. Then arrange the charted map in a somewhat sensible manner. (Wings does it in a way to be space efficient, not easily human-readable, so everything needs re-arranging.) Then finally separate everything apart again, and rename the pieces. A bit convoluted, but understandable if you've ever mapped with Wings3d.

So that's why it took a while.

Edit---
Here's the actual chart... Should be easy enough to figure out, even if there are some odd small bits that got created because I forgot to 'undo' the hard edges when segmenting. (Some weird behavior that's a Wings thing.)

Edit (again)---
Now you can just download the darn thing! Dunno if I'll do a whole lot more to it, so I'm making it available as-is.
http://www.digitallights.net/models/paul/F18%20Hornet(obj).zip
pauljs75

Return to Aircraft