Board index FlightGear Development New features

Visualising crashes in FG

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Visualising crashes in FG

Postby mattt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:27 am

Would it not be highly groovacious if we could take events like this as they are reported and model them as accurately as the data we could obtain and release the results to the media (or other interested parties, like accident investigators, etc)?

We would be considered very cool (despite it being in a somewhat geeky way that made us look bored) and it would be a hell of a way to raise FG awareness ;-)

And just think - while Qantas is still in business, we'd *always* have something to do (/me looks sideways at QF52 with tongue firmly in cheek...) :p
FG CVS on: E7400 @ ~3.2ghz, Asus P5e, 4gb RAM, 512mb 8400GS, MS FF Pro, Logitech Illum KB, 2 x 19" LCDs
Favourite aircraft: 737-900ER, 777-200ER, 787, A380, F-14b, F-18, C172p
FGCom usually at 122.75mhz
FGVAS: http://fgvas.mattts.net
mattt

Callsign: Mattt

RE: Visualising crashes in FG

Postby Gijs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:28 am

mattt wrote:Would it not be highly groovacious if we could take events like this as they are reported and model them as accurately as the data we could obtain and release the results to the media (or other interested parties, like accident investigators, etc)?

That came up in my mind aswell, back in 2009 after the Turkish crash at Schiphol. We can easily visualise flightpaths, which would be cool for (local) news stations. Visualising, the damaging/actual crash is a "little" harder though, but stuff like this might increase the development of crash simulation in FG...
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Re: RE: Visualising crashes in FG

Postby ot-666 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Gijs wrote:Visualising, the damaging/actual crash is a "little" harder though, but stuff like this might increase the development of crash simulation in FG...

How is the crash handeled by FGFS with YASim right now? Is the fuselage what triggers a contact point? I was thinking about some "light crash animations" for my v22.
Like cockpit window cracks, maybe wing breaking down for a to hard ground conact. somthing like this. Your moddels seem to splited to submoddes for wingflex, what could be used for a nice visualising.
I know i can give values for the gear for to much g to break it and get values for the g-forces.. But what else is already possible in FG?

THanks, Oliver
Callsign: ot-666
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
VMX22 - Osprey... sometimes in 2014
ot-666

Callsign: ot-666
IRC name: ot666
Version: GIT

Postby Gijs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:40 pm

ot-666 wrote:How is the crash handeled by FGFS with YASim right now?

I don't know for YASim, but on JSB you can add contactpoints to any location. You can "see" when such a contactpoint is hit, and add a coresponding animation. Adding contact points for engines, tail, wingtips etc. will make it possible to have a "realistic" behaviour on touching objects...

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby HHS » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:04 pm

ot-666 wrote:
Gijs wrote:Visualising, the damaging/actual crash is a "little" harder though, but stuff like this might increase the development of crash simulation in FG...

How is the crash handeled by FGFS with YASim right now? Is the fuselage what triggers a contact point? I was thinking about some "light crash animations" for my v22.
Like cockpit window cracks, maybe wing breaking down for a to hard ground conact. somthing like this. Your moddels seem to splited to submoddes for wingflex, what could be used for a nice visualising.
I know i can give values for the gear for to much g to break it and get values for the g-forces.. But what else is already possible in FG?

THanks, Oliver

Look at the Bo105- it has sich crash animation.
It uses nasal to trigger this animation.
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Re: Visualising crashes in FG

Postby redneck » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:33 pm

I remember a while ago I tried recreating the flight 1549, which landed in the Hudson. I either had the wrong plane or was improperly loaded, as I could never do it. I thought it would be cool to try to get some idea of how the pilot could actually accomplish such an amazing feat through FG.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby simbabeat » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:40 pm

I tried the Hudson ditch too and it is just hard to recreate period.
simbabeat

Postby redneck » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:32 pm

I swear the version of the A320 I was using was either improperly loaded or just too heavy. Otherwise, I just know I could have done it. I tried enough times. If I just had any idea how much fuel it had... I would have made a cool video with the real ATC chatter and whatnot. I still have it, so if I ever try it again, it'll still look decent, despite being so late.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Postby simbabeat » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:30 pm

I remember seeing some reports about it that it had a full load of fuel. So I would try with the weight of the A320 almost to the top but not all the way there. And then if you could get a flight-plan of the crash with all the VOR's an everything you could properly simulate it.
simbabeat

Postby redneck » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:47 pm

I had (not sure if I still have) all the GPS waypoints showing where the plane was about every 30 seconds. I had all the data except fuel loading, but it would seem the old A320 that I was using at the time had too much empty weight.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby simbabeat » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Are you saying the old version of the A320 for fgfs?
simbabeat

Postby redneck » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Yes, at the time, it was shortly after the release of 1.9.1, and before there was any development on the forum of the new A320.
Once I can get the new version of FG, with the newest A320, I may be able to recreate it.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby simbabeat » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:24 pm

Where did you get the GPS waypoints?
simbabeat

Postby Sebulba » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:16 pm

While we're at it let me ask you guys something. I play Rigs of Rods for the last 2 years and i can tell you the crashes are represented very realisticaly. I don't know how they achieve this since i don't have much programing knowledge but i think it has to do with the meshes they use for their models. It looks like every mesh line or mesh links have predefined force that can take before they brake. So here comes the question. Is it possible to do something like that on Flight Gear? I believe it would be better, easiest and more realistic than defining contact points that will engage crash animations
Sebulba

Postby mattt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:41 pm

redneck wrote:...how the pilot could actually accomplish such an amazing feat through FG.

He didn't do it through FG - he did it in real life. I saw it on TV, and it was in colour so it had to be true...

/me goes off in search of more caffeine...

Cheers,
Mattt.
FG CVS on: E7400 @ ~3.2ghz, Asus P5e, 4gb RAM, 512mb 8400GS, MS FF Pro, Logitech Illum KB, 2 x 19" LCDs
Favourite aircraft: 737-900ER, 777-200ER, 787, A380, F-14b, F-18, C172p
FGCom usually at 122.75mhz
FGVAS: http://fgvas.mattts.net
mattt

Callsign: Mattt

Next

Return to New features