Board index FlightGear Development New features

Latency Monitor Beta Release (Download in First Post)

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Latency Monitor Beta Release (Download in First Post)

Postby Ozgur » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Hello everybody...
I generally have problem with the latency, especially mpserver02 even i have really good connection, so i wrote a small application to see which mpserver have the lowest latency...
It is available only for Win32 now. Soon i'll try to release for Linux also...
Feedback and critics are welcomed!
Greetings

EDIT: Version 0.1.0 Released! Fixed the issues mentioned in your messages.Thanks for your feedback! Only available in win32 still...Sorry for that...
EDIT2: Fixed the hang issue on non-responsive servers. It was not so important but it looks like the app was hanging while waiting for a response from offline server (e.g. mpserver03 in this particular case)
Download link

Last edited by Ozgur on Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
N499H
Ozgur

Callsign: N499H, TR-49

Re: Latency Monitor Beta Release

Postby hovkid » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:30 pm

A very nice, and handy feature!

Two things which could posibly be improved:

-The logo/desktop icon could be higher resolution
-The program window could have the ability to be re-sized

Apart from that it is great, and functions perfectly. :)

Thanks,
Nathan
Fav Airliner - MD81 - Fav Fighter - F4J76 - Fav Light Aircraft - DHC2
hovkid

Callsign: GB-TYER or AA-124

Postby Ozgur » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Well i wanted to keep it simple and small...But there's no limit for the logo and resizing...Added for 2 do list...Thanks for trying it out...
N499H
Ozgur

Postby Gijs » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Awesome application! I would like to urge you to go talk to Fred (Windows' FGRun) and Tat (Mac's FGRun), and see if this can be implemented in FGRun, with an option to auto-pick the server with the lowest latency. This would defenitely help us in the fight against wrong server usage!

One tip: place the "timed out" server at the bottom of the list, so the best-to-pick server is at the top.

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Ozgur » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:24 pm

I think the implementation shouldn't be so hard...Open a socket, bind, send some UDP data that MPServer like to see (even not,it'll reply), measure the time,sort, and GUI...I don't know about the structure of FGRun's but it shouldn't be so hard to accomplish...Btw, i wrote in Purebasic, which is not a great deal but idea is simple...

We can even add some small snippet just to collect the #of pilots and do a short multicriteria sorting and advise the user with the lowest pilot and lowest latency...Since there are differences in latencies due to geographical position and packet traffic...

(Hahaha, i started to think, is it really a good measure to judge server response by sending a packet and measuring the response time? Maybe Pidgeon should help with this issue...)

Timed out will change...I add 2do list...
N499H
Ozgur

Re: Latency Monitor Beta Release (Download in First Post)

Postby Ozgur » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:44 pm

I updated this tiny thing, so the download the new version with the fixed issues advised in previous posts. Also i add the feature of "Online Pilots" to estimate a load but since lazy relay is distributing all pilots, IDEALLY all servers must have equal number of pilots, (plus local users). So, enjoy your uninterrupted server experience!
N499H
Ozgur

Return to New features