Board index FlightGear Support

HELP! I can't save my game!!!

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

HELP! I can't save my game!!!

Postby kmullin211984 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:16 am

Hi Guys,

I'm new to fight gear, and I have it up and running nicely, however I am having two main problems. My first one is that I can't save my game. What this means for me is that if I am in the middle of a particularly long flight, and something goes wrong like I crash, etc. I have to start over from the beginning. For example, I tried saving a flight from KMCO to KBOS (Boston Logan Intl) but, like I said I can't save my game. Whenever I try to go back in and load the game the next time I want to play, my game isn't there, and instead of starting in the middle of a flight, I get to start all over again at the beginning. Very annoying! Second, my version likes to crash for whatever reason. I am using version 1.9.1. Can anyone help me? Thanks. Oh, and I'm also using Windows XP if that helps. I'm not too familiar with code either, so I hope the answer I get isn't confusing! lol.
kmullin211984

Re: HELP! I can't save my game!!!

Postby simbabeat » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:14 am

Well first of all, welcome. As for saving, I don't think this feature works now. And for your crashing, sounds like the triangle intersect error. I do not know how to fix this on a windows however though. Sorry
simbabeat

Postby VicMar » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:09 am

simbabeat said.
sounds like the triangle intersect error
Wow!!! What sort of expert are you?

How did you identify that as the cause with so little information?
Amazed,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby simbabeat » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Haha man I wasn't saying that was it It just sounds like it.
simbabeat

Postby VicMar » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:47 pm

simbabeat said,
"Haha man I wasn't saying that was it It just sounds like it."

It could also be a few dozen other things.

Why not ask about his computer specs?
What was he doing when it crashed?
Did he get a crash report?
and so on.

I am not saying I will know the answer, but hopefully someone will.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby simbabeat » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:49 pm

VicMar wrote:
simbabeat said,
"Haha man I wasn't saying that was it It just sounds like it."

It could also be a few dozen other things.

Why not ask about his computer specs?
What was he doing when it crashed?
Did he get a crash report?
and so on.

I am not saying I will know the answer, but hopefully someone will.

Cheers,
Vic

Ok your right I shoudn't jump to conclusions. Let's ask him his computer specs.
simbabeat

Postby MD-Terp » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:44 pm

simbabeat wrote: Let's ask him his computer specs.

Well -- even better than that would be to ask this:

kmullin, when FlightGear stops working, what message(s), if any, are displayed in the "console" window (the DOS-like command-line window which first appears before the startup wizard and finally the simulation window itself)?
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Postby thedoc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:40 am

Hi,
I have some problems in saving or loading a game. I'm new to flightgear and I'm a Little confused by command lines, etc.... :-)
Well, the following Details to my System:

-) WIN7
-) FlightGear 3.2.0
-) Data in the console: "Cannot open filec172p-20150208-113740.fgtape"
-) My aircraft is Cessna 172P at KOAK

Any idea for me, please?
Thanks,
thedoc

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:44 pm

According to your error message, you tried to open/replay a pre-recorded flight using the flight recorder subsystem (see $FG_ROOT/Docs/flightrecorder.README).

Unfortunately, the way FlightGear's design has evolved over time, it isn't currently possible to save/load and continue flights, unless you're using the flight recorder subsystem, and an supported aircraft/FDM. Equally, changing aircraft used to be impossible for the same reasons.

More specifically, these architectural issues are being tackled by a few core developers (slowly so) - but given FlightGear's lack of an explicit design (and oversight) taking such requirements in mind, there are many overlapping efforts/developments that simply conflict with functionality like saving/loading flights and changing aircraft at run-time. So that the flight recorder subsystem working for your particular use-case or not may depend on a number of factors.

And absent any proper project management/coordination, this is how we arrived at the the "current" situation, even though this is meanwhile a long-standing one: http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_Sessions

In the case of your particular error, you should check paths and permissions first - usually, tapes will be stored in $FG_HOME.

FlightGear is a fairly monolithic code base that contains tons of legacy code, with very few active core developers remaining, many of whom feeling overstretched in terms of what they can manage realistically - yet, there's very little happening to accommodate new contributors, especially those wanting to become core developers with commit access to help with core development, and the few external contributors still making significant contributions at the core/C++ level are feeling increasingly deflated due to the extremely passive/inactive way of core developers responding to their work, which often goes unreviewed/uncommitted for many months, and sometimes even years - up to a point where simply rebasing is no longer an option.

This has been causing quite a bit of frustration among contributors, realistically you shouldn't expect FlightGear to support saving/loading flights anytime soon - the main developer working on this is James Turner (Zakalawe) who prototyped the whole reset/re-init work (which could be considered the foundation for saving/loading flights) - while others have offered their assistance (like for instance ThorstenB) many have meanwhile lost interest in working towards this, or in contributing to FlightGear core development in general, as can be seen in the git commit logs and the devel list discussions.

To support this reliably for all FDMs, this would require an orchestrated effort among developers, including those participating in JSBSim development.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby thedoc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks for the quick answer, Hooray!
thedoc

Postby simbambim » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:24 pm

It should be working. If you have FG installed under Program files, you may try to reinstall it on C:\ directly.

Hooray, I think you created an impression that it's not possible or likely.
Fly on VATSIM and die.
simbambim

Version: 3.2

Postby Hooray » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:35 pm

flight recorder tapes are based on the replay subsystem, which -by design- is intended to only support replaying flights, resuming is only partially supported by one FDM and only certain aircraft, and can be generally considered unsupported.
Like I said, the error above is unrelated to this - saving and replaying "fgtape" files should still work, but that doesn't necessarily apply to saving and loading/resuming flights.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Instant_Repl ... _and_later
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby simbambim » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:30 pm

The user didn't say whether he wanted to resume the flight or just watch it. I assumed he wanted to watch it.
Fly on VATSIM and die.
simbambim

Version: 3.2

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:43 am

The original user made it sound like he wanted to resume flying the flight where he left off after closing FG.
MountainFlyerN22

Callsign: N22
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Hooray » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:47 am

simbambim wrote in Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:30 pm:The user didn't say whether he wanted to resume the flight or just watch it. I assumed he wanted to watch it.

I am wondering how you arrived at this assumption given his initial posting, in particular:

kmullin211984 wrote in Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:16 am:I can't save my game. What this means for me is that if I am in the middle of a particularly long flight, and something goes wrong like I crash, etc. I have to start over from the beginning.
[...]
Whenever I try to go back in and load the game the next time I want to play, my game isn't there, and instead of starting in the middle of a flight, I get to start all over again at the beginning. Very annoying!

Which is the whole reason for me responding the way I did and explaining the technical background about not being able to save/load and resume flights in FlightGear - it's a long-standing issue that requires not just an orchestrated effort to fix, but also long-term oversight (or at the very least unit tests) to ensure that this functionality isn't getting broken again by commits/features not designed with this very requirement in mind.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Next

Return to Support