Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

POLL: Should TransGear Airways get its own forum?

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Should TransGear Airways create its own web forum, or continue to use FlightGear's?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:07 pm

TGA should move all of their conversation to their own forum, exclusively.
No votes
TGA should open its own forum, but still post announcements/promotional info here.
9%
TGA should open its own forum for discussions, but continue to do scheduling here.
13%
TGA should open its own forum for scheduling, but continue to have discussions here.
No votes
TGA should open its own forum, but conduct scheduling and/or discussions on both.
13%
TGA should not worry about opening a forum; the current arrangement is fine.
65%

Total votes : 23

POLL: Should TransGear Airways get its own forum?

Postby MD-Terp » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:07 pm

Hello all...

The question -- is it time for TransGear airways to stop "pilfering space" on the main FlightGear forum?

Pros to moving to our own forum:
(1) Discussions about TGA will be easier to find, and not buried within other multiplayer posts.
(2) Discussions about TGA will no longer "hijack" this forum with high activity levels.
(3) Ability to more easily separate "scheduling" discussions from "policy" or "design" discussions.

Cons to moving to our own forum:
(1) Those who are not already familiar with TGA will have less opportunity to hear about it, if little or no discussion takes place here.
(2) The erroneous impression of exclusive membership, based on (1).
(3) Time and cost of forum hosting and management.

So what does everyone else think? Opinions of everyone -- including TGA participants and spectators, as well as those who have not participated at all -- are welcome. Thanks!
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Re: POLL: Should TransGear Airways get its own forum?

Postby Gijs » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:12 pm

I miss the "ask-Curt-a-subsubforum" option ;)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Liam » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:37 pm

Or make a VA sub-forum/discussion-thread in general.
Liam

Callsign: Liam
Version: GIT

Postby MD-Terp » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:37 pm

Well, I have in mind a few divisions within the forum I would consider making, and I don't know how amicable he'd be to having a subforum with six sub-subforums :)
Cheers,
-Rob.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Postby yourgod » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:37 pm

TGA should not worry about opening a forum; the current arrangement is fine.

If such a forum option was proposed, I'd likely host it since I'm already hosting the TransGear site. My vote in no way is intended to mean I would have a problem with hosting it. (end result is no cost)

I just believe it would be better to keep the discussions in the open and right up in front of the entire MP population as that's the best way to keep attention focused on the events.

If this forum was dealing with 150 threads per day that would be one thing. But it's not, and this forum exists exactly for this purpose. Activity on this forum keeps people checking it, and that is good for the MP community as a whole because it fosters more active overall communication. If it gets busy enough in here that signal is lost in the noise, or the event becomes very large and requires significant management discussions, THEN a dedicated forum would be a good option.
Callsign: YOURGOD, (YOURGO if you only recognize 6 characters)
TransGear Airways site: http://transgear.treborlogic.com/
FG related projects:
Planes: Douglas DC-8-73
Code: Hurricane simulation weather enhancement
yourgod

Callsign: YOURGOD

Postby Jester » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:46 pm

Since each subforum has a "Moderators:" line, I assume moderators can be assigned on a per-subforum basis.
That is I agree with the idea to create a "Virtual Airlines" subforum and a "Transgear Airlines" sub-sub-forum in there, with this latter having Rob as a moderator so he can create whatever sub-sub-subforums he likes :D
Jester

Callsign: BA996,Rescue1
IRC name: Jester01
Version: GIT

Postby MD-Terp » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Okay, NOW you're just making fun of me :)
Cheers,
-Rob.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Postby Tuxklok » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:16 pm

I wouldn't worry it about it unless you feel there is actually a problem, or you feel your outgrowing the flightgear forums...need more topics, organization, etc, etc. Seems ok to me so far, especially only being a once a month deal, but I don't know your plans for the future, so I guess only you can make that call. ;)

cheers!
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby redneck » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:13 am

I like the idea of keeping all TGA stuff right here in the FG forums. I haven't seen any problems with the current arrangement, and I like the idea that any forum member will be able to know about this in detail and join for the event without having to ask about it and find out where all the details are. While you have the important stuff on your website, a new user could at least find stuff out like "what is TGA?" or "when is it going to be?" and decide if he's interested in it or not before even checking the pilot handbook.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby MD-Terp » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:10 pm

Keeping a high level of visibility for TGA in the FlightGear forum community is definitely a big advantage to keeping 100% of our discussion right here. The converse of that is what I listed as Con #1.

I think I can see which way the poll is leaning so far, but I'll keep it running for a bit just to be sure :)
Cheers,
-Rob.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Postby Surly » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:09 pm

"TGA should open its own forum for discussions, but continue to do scheduling here.", but that forum should be within the official FG forums site. TGA's messages don't disturb me now. I agree if they will stay here.
Surly

Postby Gijs » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:16 pm

To come back on this, Jester requested a subforum for TransGear (click to read). Would such a subforum be useful? So all TransGear topics will be collected together...
Please post your replies in the (re)organisation topic: viewtopic.php?p=70421#p70421
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Return to Multiplayer events