Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Is it legal to sell models of aircraft you created?

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Is it legal to sell models of aircraft you created?

Postby motherboardlove » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:27 pm

Is it legal to sell models of aircraft you created? :P
motherboardlove
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Is it legal to sell models of aircraft you created?

Postby curt » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:02 pm

motherboardlove wrote:Is it legal to sell models of aircraft you created? :P


Here's a quick answer: if the model is entirely your work (3d models, textures, xml animations, flight dynamics, etc. etc. etc.) then you are free to do whatever you like with it.

If you have pulled in bits and pieces of other people's work, or if it's "just" a repaint, then you need to abide by whatever license the original work came with ... typically that is going to be GPL for the FlightGear project. If it is GPL, then you could sell a distribution of your aircraft, but you also then have to make your derivative work available for free as well.

I'm multitasking here, so there may be some subtleties I've missed ...

Curt.
curt
Administrator
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Is it legal to sell models of aircraft you created?

Postby HHS » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:19 pm

Some addition:
Curt wrote:if the model is entirely your work (3d models, textures, xml animations, flight dynamics, etc. etc. etc.) then you are free to do whatever you like with it.


The problem is, that some models currently might be not completly based on the named authors work.
If you use textures based on photos, you have to ask the author of the photo unless you took it yourself.
I asked in the related threads here about the textures, and I was completly ignored... I can only guess why... :(
Up, up and away
User avatar
HHS
Retired
 
Posts: 3624
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:09 am
Version: GIT

Re: Is it legal to sell models of aircraft you created?

Postby motherboardlove » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:39 pm

HHS wrote:Some addition:
Curt wrote:if the model is entirely your work (3d models, textures, xml animations, flight dynamics, etc. etc. etc.) then you are free to do whatever you like with it.


The problem is, that some models currently might be not completly based on the named authors work.
If you use textures based on photos, you have to ask the author of the photo unless you took it yourself.
I asked in the related threads here about the textures, and I was completly ignored... I can only guess why... :(


I have to disagree on that statement. If you have it based on a photo not taken by you, then it is still sell-able because, as long its not direct cut out and pasted, then it doesnt matter.
motherboardlove
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Is it legal to sell models of aircraft you created?

Postby statto » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:44 pm

motherboardlove wrote:I have to disagree on that statement. If you have it based on a photo not taken by you, then it is still sell-able because, as long its not direct cut out and pasted, then it doesnt matter.


(Smacks face with palm) Just because you want this to be the case does not make it so. You're creating a derivative product from the photo and need to get permission from the author.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto
 
Posts: 2113
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Is it legal to sell models of aircraft you created?

Postby HHS » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:53 pm

motherboardlove wrote:
I have to disagree on that statement. If you have it based on a photo not taken by you, then it is still sell-able because, as long its not direct cut out and pasted, then it doesnt matter.


I exactly mean what you said above, but I should have wrote it like that:

If you make textures out of photos, you have to ask the author of the photo unless you took it yourself.

Currently I see one aircraft here in the forum that seems to use parts of a photo as texture, where it is not clear stated, which source this texture has. I might be wrong.

statto wrote: (Smacks face with palm) Just because you want this to be the case does not make it so. You're creating a derivative product from the photo and need to get permission from the author.


Well, a photo as a drawing-master isn't a problem, as long the licence of the photo don't forbid this.
As an example, Google don't allow to use their photos to create derivative works.
Other sources don't mind it.
Up, up and away
User avatar
HHS
Retired
 
Posts: 3624
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:09 am
Version: GIT


Return to Aircraft

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests