Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

GA airports

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

GA airports

Postby The epic chicken » Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 am

hi everyon
i wanted to know if there
are some nicely modeled ga airports in flightgear
In Thrust We Trust
The epic chicken

Callsign: cva1920
Version: 2020.3.9

Re: GA airports

Postby ludomotico » Tue May 04, 2021 11:36 am

Plenty of them! Scenery developers tend to model their local airfields first and, as a result, there are many full-modeled airports suitable for GA operations.

I was specialized in GA airports in west Spain, and I modeled many them after a visit in real life, sometimes using real photos. La Cerdanya, La Seu and Alfés are are some of "my" GA airports, and I've landed a hundred times in them both in real life and FG:

- LECD La Cerdanya, easily my favourite airport in real life. In the middle of the Pyrenees, next to the France-Spain border. GA, ULM and gliders. Check the "trinxat" in its restaurant!

Real life:

FG:

- LESU Andorra-La Seu, on the top of a mountain next to the Andorra-Spain border. If you go out of the runway, you'll fall down the cliff! GA and ULM, but is is prepared to host commercial flights.

Real life;

FG:

- LEAT Alfés, in the middle of the "Lleida plains". After 80 years of service, it was closed 5 years ago but it is still serviceable in FlightGear. Dirt runway, a bit tricky to see from above but it has a NDB station nearby. Buildings use real textures from photos taken by me. I participated in a precision landing competition here 10 years ago and I got the last position. Check the "escargots" in the restaurant!

Real life:

FG:

The trip LEAT-LESU-LECD is about 45 minutesr and I believe it is a nice trip to practice some VFR navigation: https://skyvector.com/?ll=42.0091012573 ... 223N00151E

The trip LESU-LECD is about 15 minutes and I think it is a nice trip to know the area.

I developed other specifically GA airports all around Spain: LERE Requena, LE01 Avinyonet, LECN Pinar de Castellón, LESL Menorca, LESB Majorca, LEBA Malaga, LECO Cordoba, LECI Jaca... and some others you'll need their GPS coordinates to get there! Also, nearly all developed airports in Spain (Barcelona and Madrid being the obvious exceptions) not only accept GA operations, but they are probably their main activity: LERS Reus, LEDA Lleida, LEHC Huesca, LEPP Pamplona, LEGE Girona, LESA Salamanca, LEBG Burgos, LELN Leon, LEVD Valladolid...

Notice: LERS-Reus was my home airport and all GA airports about 2 hour from there are reasonably well developed.

Check http://iveze.nl/fgmap/. It is probably outdated, but it includes many airports all around the world with at least one custom building. This map was automatically built and the airport is classified according to the runway length, I guess. Orange and red marks are GA airports. The orange marks are actually "GA airports big enough to receive a turboprop"
Last edited by ludomotico on Wed May 05, 2021 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby Michat » Tue May 04, 2021 8:33 pm

I'll add LEFM Fuentemilanos, also made by you at my request years ago. Honestly we have a beautiful airport network in Spain thanks by you.

We need to report that in LEPO is hard to operate hydroplanes, because: first there is an step on the tarmac next to the ramp; second is a very inclined ramp. Making so hard to get out-in of the water without crashing or being stacked.

Also we want to report, and this is very important, that not all airrports of your Spanish custom scenery were included in Terrasync. If you remember we talked about years ago, when your custom set were in the process to be merged into TS. Well it seems they were not included all. Miguel is reporting an incomplete list that contains part of those principal missing airports. LEMG LERG LEIB LEPO LEVC. We do not know how many minor airports can be affected around principals, and how many missing in Spain. We use your original custom pack from years ago to patch current TS user folder.

Thanks

Michat

Version: 191b

Postby ludomotico » Wed May 05, 2021 1:06 am

Hi Michat,

Yes, I know about the airports not in terrasync because they are new, or their layout is completely different than to the one in terrasync. Some of them are very interesting GA airports, such as Casarrubios or Lillo (both south of Madrid) or Empuriabrava (north of Barcelona). I'm specially interested in updating Empuriabrava, a modern small airport that is the home of one of the most important skydiving centers in Europe. This is probably the airport I've spent more time in real life. I've got a list of the airports that are not yet in terrasync due to lack of an updated layout: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... Vv_WOq4IaQ

Regarding LEPO, as far as I know it is the only place in Spain where hydroplanes are allowed, and it is a military airfield. Due to its special nature (part on water, part on land), having a correct coastline and elevation for this area is crucial. I guess the best option for this airport is moving it some meters into the water and hoping that the coastline won't change in terrasync for a while. It happens the same thing with the helipad at the Barcelona port, for example: in the middle of a very interesting scenery for helis, but unusable due to a buggy coastline. LEPO is the only one of "my" airports that is not under an open source license, because guessing the exact elevation for all areas was very hard, it will change if terrasync changes, I was not satisfied with the results and I didn't want to support something as frustrating as LEPO :D

Some of the models you list (LEIB, LEVC, LEMH) are not mine, and they cannot be submitted to terrasync without the consent of their original authors. These are the orange marks in the linked map. I don't remember modelling LEMG, but it is on my map, as "waiting".
ludomotico

Postby vnts » Wed May 05, 2021 12:21 pm

ludomotico wrote in Wed May 05, 2021 1:06 am:Hi Michat,
Regarding LEPO, as far as I know it is the only place in Spain where hydroplanes are allowed, and it is a military airfield. Due to its special nature (part on water, part on land), having a correct coastline and elevation for this area is crucial. I guess the best option for this airport is moving it some meters into the water and hoping that the coastline won't change in terrasync for a while.

The TerraSync coastline shouldn't change until WS3 arrives - that would be in a future LTS which could well be in 2022 sometime.
After WS3 arrives, the terrain elevation model should be pretty stable, especially in Europe - it's mainly the land-classes that should be expected to change as contributors find better sources or handcraft areas.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby The epic chicken » Wed May 05, 2021 2:32 pm

ludomotico wrote in Wed May 05, 2021 1:06 am:Hi Michat,

what plane is that
In Thrust We Trust
The epic chicken

Postby Michat » Wed May 05, 2021 7:32 pm

@The epic chicken I believe is the Icon aircraft :roll:

@Ludomotico. Thank you for your answer.
With the absence of those airports in TS, could be great to release a link to the Spain custom scenery pack for the enjoy of the general public ?

Even with the lack of space in LEPO, I wonder still if you could pair the killer step ?
https://postimg.cc/nCKggCj8

Thanks and 29.92
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby wkitty42 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:16 pm

Michat wrote in Wed May 05, 2021 7:32 pm:Even with the lack of space in LEPO, I wonder still if you could pair the killer step ?
https://postimg.cc/nCKggCj8

it can be done but it appears that it is inside the LEPO.btg.gz file residing at terrasync/Terrain/e000n30/e003n39 in the 3006584.stg file(s)... the one in Objects only contains a VOR-DME and three lighthouses... i looked on the scenery web site to see if it was an object there that could easily be adjusted but nope... it looks like this is baked right into the airport so someone with those skills will have to fix it and regenerate the airport... maybe it can be done and fixed up in terrasync without having to rebuild the whole tile and suffering the problems that brings? idk...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby ludomotico » Thu May 06, 2021 10:34 am

@michat, I'm not sure what you mean by "release a link...". If you mean if I can publish a link, I'm afraid don't have the complete peninsula anymore. I still have some tiles, the ones I use often. If you mean that you have the files and you are asking for permission to publish them... of course you can. I was just warning that some airports (LEIB, LEVC, LEMH) can't be in terrasync because their original authors didn't release them with an open license. I distributed those airports with the IBE project knowing that it was not entirely "legal".

Just be aware that the custom scenary is better than terrasync in some areas, but worse in others. The IBE project was published while the official scenery was WS1.0. Current WS2.0 already fixes many of the things that IBE addressed at the time. The main problem would be elevation: now we have openstreetmaps buildings and they really enhance the scenary a lot. But OSM buildings are not totally compatible with the terrain in the IBE project. On the other hand, many airport layouts in the IBE project fixed bugs that even current terrasync has. In fact, the few airports that are still "waiting" are because the layout in terrasync is totally unrealistic or broken. But most airports are already in terrasync and the IBE custom scenario is not that necessary nowadays, I believe.

@wkitty42, I believe LEPO is not in terrasync because it depends heavily on the terrain elevation and coastline, and I was using custom tiles at the time. I'll check if I can fix this model for terrasync, but last time I opened blender was years ago and I'm not sure if I remember how it works anymore :D
Last edited by ludomotico on Thu May 06, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ludomotico

Postby The epic chicken » Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 pm

@ludomotico
where can i get that icon aircraft from
In Thrust We Trust
The epic chicken

Postby ludomotico » Thu May 06, 2021 3:31 pm

I believe it is the "A 24 Viking", and it can be downloaded from the launcher. Most probably, I just selected one of the few aircraft able to takeoff from water when I made the airport 8 years ago!

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroprakt_A-24_Viking
ludomotico

Return to Scenery