Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Lockheed 1049H Constellation (Beta Release)

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Lockheed 1049H Constellation (Beta Release)

Postby lqiyun » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Andreas wrote:Image
Doesn't it make you wanna take a seat?

OMGOMGOMG this is AWESOME!!!!! Nice work on the cockpit, dude!! :) :)

Oh and yes yes yes, it's damn tempting, makes me really wanna take a seat :)

Cheers,
QiYun :D
QiYun

Flightgear Callsign: Old-Man

Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart.
— Baron Manfred von Richthofen.
lqiyun

Postby smoki » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:05 am

I like this plane very much. Thank you!!!

But there is a problem related to the fuelsystem, when running it in the CSV Flightgear.

In "Lockheed1049h-fuel.nas" the function "get_lbs(tank)" returns sometimes nil.

Since I didn't understand the modell internals I temporarily fixed it with return 0, which then didn't crash the fuel system:

Code: Select all
var get_lbs = func(tank_index) {
  if (tanks[tank_index].getChild("level-lb") == nil) {                  # Hack to deal with renaming of level-lb^M
    aret=tanks[tank_index].getChild("level-lbs").getValue();            # to level-lbs in JBSsim^M
  }
  else {
    aret=tanks[tank_index].getChild("level-lb").getValue();^M
  }
  if (aret==nil) return 0;
  return aret;
}

Hope you will find with this hint, the reason for the failure...?!

So again, many thanks for this plane. I like it really much!

Regards,
Christian
smoki

Postby Buckaroo » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:20 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on this Christian. I'm not a CVS user so I wasn't aware that the fuel property situation is still causing problems. I hoped the previous hack had dealt with this at least temporarily, but it seems not quite. If your fix deals with the problem, then I'll likely incorporate that into the next build and go with that for a while.

Cheers!
Callsign: Buckaro(o)
Author: Lockheed 1049H Constellation, Grumman Goose, MD-81, Edgley Optica, Velocity XL RG, YASim Guide
Buckaroo

Version: 2.10

Postby YourDailyTsunami » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:25 pm

I love that plane!
The only problems I have (latest CVS) are that the plane wants to taxi at approx. 30 knots with engines in idle and that the autopilot somehow doesn't send the plane where I want it to go (it usually flies 10-30 degrees off the mark shown in the autopilot, i.e. when the autopilot (correctly) reads the course as 130° the plane is indeed heading for 150°)
all the booze is free, airline goin' broke, here come the ladies with another jack'n'coke... :P
YourDailyTsunami

Callsign: Tsunami

Postby bisutti » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:22 pm

I have a problem with the plane, when I fly over 9000ft, the engines turn off... why that happens?
FlightGear Iberoamerican Comunity http://www.vivefg.org/
bisutti

Callsign: YV-256T
Version: 2

Postby HHS » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:35 pm

set mixture correct?
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby yurik_nsk » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi Buckaroo!

if (tanks[tank_index].getChild("level-lb") == nil) {

IMHO, for CVS JSBSim, should be "level-lbs", not "level-lb".
yurik_nsk

Postby bisutti » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:50 pm

HHS wrote:set mixture correct?

Ehhh no :roll: where?
FlightGear Iberoamerican Comunity http://www.vivefg.org/
bisutti

Callsign: YV-256T
Version: 2

Postby HHS » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

m/M-Key?

Just a suggestion!
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby durk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:34 pm

YourDailyTsunami wrote:Wow! When does this come to CVS? :D

Just to add my two cents. These screenshots are just amazing! I've not yet tried downloading this aircraft, but if the author agrees to release this under the GPL, and we add this to CVS this aircraft could be strong contender for inclusion in the next release. That is, if the aircraft has a good flight model and most instruments work within reason.

Anyways, I would be very thrilled to see this appear in CVS. Keep up the good work. :D

Cheers,
Durk
durk

Callsign: PH-DRK
Version: git

Postby Buckaroo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:11 pm

YourDailyTsunami,

Connie uses four of the most powerful piston engines ever built, and I wonder what the real aircraft, lightly loaded, would do at idle. But as I understand things JSBsim was originally designed with small piston engines in mind, nothing like the displacement of those Cyclones, and the engine parameters are not quite what we'd like them to be, though I think we're getting closer. Yakko has taken on most of the engine-tweaking work, so I'll pass this note on.

The 1049H uses the original 1049 Autopilot code, which I'm not greatly familiar with and left unmodified as it generally works pretty well. That said, I've noticed a similar tendency in AP heading. When I use AP, I use the heading bug, and make sure that I've updated the gyro bearing to match what it should be. It does seem to take a fair amount of adjustment and attention. The real Constellation had a fluxgate system to do that for you, but that hasn't been set up yet.

Yurik_nsk,

You're very right. The plane is actually meant for FG 1.0 and FG 1.9 distribution, though I try to keep up with CVS changes. The code is currently set up to be backwardly compatible with older versions that use "level-lb" rather than the later CVS "level-lbs". It tries to look for the older value, and if nil will then look for the newer value. Admittedly this is temporary kludge to deal with the issue, and a better way is always welcome.

Bisutti,

After trying HHS's suggestion, please also make sure you downloaded the right version for FG 1.0 or FG 1.9, as they use different JSBsim engine models. If you continue to have engine cut-off problems, let us know what version of Flightgear you're using, and I'll try to track down the problem for you.

Durk,

Thank you! Very kind of you to say that. I'm happy to say those screen shots are a little dated-- the latest version has a significant update to the engineer's station.

The plane is totally under GPL. The plane's README file contains appropriate GPL and credit information. Regarding instruments, generally if it is present, it functions, and hopefully correctly. A few instruments have pre-determined values for appearances or to show the system is working (fuel pressure, volts & amps). One exception is the Zero Reader, which works as a glideslope indicator but doesn't quite do all that it should do just yet. Constellations have a /lot/ of instruments, so there are many that aren't yet present, like hydraulic pressure, oil tank levels, etc., generally where the simulation doesn't model those systems or I haven't had time to do it. I've tried to get the most important instruments up first.

Before I'd feel comfortable applying for submission to Flightgear's CVS, there are issues I still have to resolve, including finalizing texturing and setting up the MP-livery system. I'm taking a break from Connie just now (working on the Grumman Goose), but I'll get back to her, no worries.

Cheers all and thank you!
Author: Lockheed 1049H Constellation, Grumman Goose, MD-81, Edgley Optica, Velocity XL RG, YASim Guide
Buckaroo

Postby YourDailyTsunami » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:44 pm

thank you for your detailed reply! :D
all the booze is free, airline goin' broke, here come the ladies with another jack'n'coke... :P
YourDailyTsunami

Callsign: Tsunami

Postby Yakko » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:28 pm

A few quick notes:

The engines cutting out as you ascend is definately a mixture adjustment - as you climb you need to lean out, or you lose power and eventually choke out completely. The upper and lower case M key can adjust the mixture for all engines, or you can click on the
red handled mixture levers at the engineer's station and adjust individually.

The best way manage mixture for the 1049h in Flightgear is by watching on the engineer's panel, paying attention to the EGT and BMEP instrumentation. Ideally you want to adjust mixture to maintain maximum BMEP, which usually results in an EGT value of around
40 degrees C below max EGT on the rich side. At higher altitudes the range of adjustment becomes narrower, whereas at lower
altitudes (6000 feet and less) its pretty wide. Don't forget to richen back up as you come down for landing, or you will find that
your engines lean to cutout usually right about as you are landing, which can be embarassing if anyone is watching.

The autopilot seems to work off of magnetic headings, not true - so there may be some deviation depending on which part of the world
map you are on. Also, since the gyrocompass drifts slightly over time, the heading bug will move with it on the panel even though the
course stays straight to the magnetic heading (when then happens it is usually a good time to recalibrate the gyro). The heading bug always
stays accurate to the magnetic heading of the model as shown on the magnetic compass on the center overhead - also remember that the
magnetic compass will read incorrect during a climb or descent so don't try to calibrate the gryo during a maneuver.

Thust at idle is definately pretty strong - I am not sure if it is unrealistically strong or not but 13,400 cubic inches of engine displacement even at idle (3,350 x 4) is a helluva lot of power. This is something that needs research and I'll try to find out more.
Flying (mostly) the Lockheed Constellation as YAKKO on MPServers :)
Yakko

Callsign: Yakko
Version: 2017.4

Postby Buckaroo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:54 pm

Yakko wrote:The autopilot seems to work off of magnetic headings, not true - so there may be some deviation depending on which part of the world
map you are on. Also, since the gyrocompass drifts slightly over time, the heading bug will move with it on the panel even though the
course stays straight to the magnetic heading (when then happens it is usually a good time to recalibrate the gyro). The heading bug always
stays accurate to the magnetic heading of the model as shown on the magnetic compass on the center overhead - also remember that the
magnetic compass will read incorrect during a climb or descent so don't try to calibrate the gryo during a maneuver.

Which of course explains why I often have relatively little variation on my heading-- I tend to fly around KIND and KBMG (midwest US) which have very small declination values.
Buckaroo

Postby Buckaroo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:58 pm

Oh, and Bisutti, Yakko didn't mention his very nicely written guide to flying the 1049H, which I believe covers mixture settings and more. If you haven't had a look at it yet, it's available at the same place where you get the 1049H.
Buckaroo

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft